georgia wma or nwr

For those who enjoy duck hunting in Georgia this is the place to discuss everything from Georgia duck hunting outfitters to hunting pintails, mallards and canvasbacks on lake Seminole.

Moderators: Dep6, Remman, caleb

georgia wma or nwr

Postby comet » Sat Nov 27, 2004 10:12 pm

New to georgia, does anyone have information on Wildlife management areas or National wildlife refuges in georgia, specifically do any of them have morning draws for spots, do any have boats for the blinds provided. I know in arkansas and missouri they do.
comet
Newb

Postby MICAH » Tue Nov 30, 2004 3:57 pm

YES GA HAS WMAS. THERE ARE SOME YOUTH WATERFOWL AREAS WHERE YOUTH ONLY CAN SHOOT (PRETTY GOOD ONE ON LAKE JULIETTE). ALL THE QUOTA HUNTS THIS YEAR HAVE ALREADY BEEN DRAWN BUT YOU CAN HUNT STAND BY. IT IS 1ST COME 1ST SERVE AND IF SOMEONE DOESN'T SHOW YOU HUNT IN THEIR SPOT. IN MOST CASES THERE ARE THREE TO A BLIND ON QUOTA HUNTS. I KNOW IF YOU HUNT AT THE WMA IN DARIEN, GA THEY SUPPLY THE BOATS (IF NEEDED). THE BLINDS ARE 2-10 ACRE FLOOD DIKES OR SOMTHING LIKE THAT. I BELIEVE THIS WAS AN OLD RICE PLANTATION BEFORE IT WAS GIVING TO THE STATE. SOME WMAS YOU DON'T HAVE QUOTA HUNTS AND YOU JUST NEED SOME WADERS. CHECK OUT http://georgiawildlife.dnr.state.ga.us/ FOR MORE INFO. GOOD LUCK
SHOOT HIM AGAIN HE AIN'T DEAD YET!!
MICAH
hunter

Postby comet » Tue Nov 30, 2004 5:36 pm

Thanks for the info. :cool:
comet
Newb

Postby wbduckhunter » Tue Nov 30, 2004 8:51 pm

what wmas are that are not to far from athens or snelliville
was that a duck or ???????????????
wbduckhunter
hunter

Postby MICAH » Wed Dec 01, 2004 10:07 am

I'M NOT SURE YOU NEED TO CHECK OUT THE WEB PAGE, BUT I THINK IT IS UNDER CONSTRUCTION RIGHT NOW.
MICAH
hunter

Postby wbduckhunter » Sun Dec 05, 2004 11:47 am

what are some good wma to hunt
wbduckhunter
hunter

Postby MICAH » Mon Dec 06, 2004 3:55 pm

I think Altamaha WMA is pretty good.
MICAH
hunter

Postby wbduckhunter » Mon Dec 06, 2004 8:47 pm

yes, but that is quota only right
wbduckhunter
hunter

Postby MICAH » Wed Dec 08, 2004 8:11 am

YOU CAN HUNT STAND BY EVERY TIME I HAVE GONE PEOPLE DIDN'T SHOW. YOU CAN TRY RUM CREEK NEAR MACON I HAVE KILLED SOME TEAL THERE EARLY AND A FEW MALLARDS THAT WERE HEADING TO THE DU PROJECT THERE. WHEN I LIVED IN MACON WE WOULD TRY TO CUT OFF THE DUCKS GOING TO THE DU PROJECT AND THE YOUTH WATERFOWL AREA. I BELIVED THAT THEY ARE SOME RINGNECKS ON THE OPEN WATER BUT NEVER TRIED THEM.
MICAH
hunter

Postby comet » Wed Dec 08, 2004 1:00 pm

thanks for the info, does anyone know anything about lula bridge, can you hunt there on sundays and do i need a permit
comet
Newb

Postby jeremy adams » Wed Dec 08, 2004 9:30 pm

wbduckhunter wrote:what wmas are that are not to far from athens or snelliville
the redlands wma or lake ocnee. has some good hunting but you will need to scout if you don't have a boat try the swamps @ 123 co. rd. and behind the boat ramp off of hwy 15 after you cross the brigde to the app. river
jeremy adams
hunter

Postby jeremy adams » Wed Dec 08, 2004 9:39 pm

MICAH wrote:YOU CAN HUNT STAND BY EVERY TIME I HAVE GONE PEOPLE DIDN'T SHOW. YOU CAN TRY RUM CREEK NEAR MACON I HAVE KILLED SOME TEAL THERE EARLY AND A FEW MALLARDS THAT WERE HEADING TO THE DU PROJECT THERE. WHEN I LIVED IN MACON WE WOULD TRY TO CUT OFF THE DUCKS GOING TO THE DU PROJECT AND THE YOUTH WATERFOWL AREA. I BELIVED THAT THEY ARE SOME RINGNECKS ON THE OPEN WATER BUT NEVER TRIED THEM.
i have hunted there alot .there are alot of ringnecks there mid dec. I have always killed them where you are talking about cutting them off. they will only decoy to numbers of ducks and the right kind.(HINT.. you only find ringnecks where there is coots). there are also a few local mallards. i shot 3 with local bands @ turkey day.
jeremy adams
hunter

Postby MICAH » Thu Dec 09, 2004 3:32 pm

YEA WHERE WE NOW HUNT THERE ARE A LOT OF RINGNECKS AND WE PUT OUT ABOUT 2 DOZEN RINKS AND SOME COOTS. I ALWAYS THOUGHT THAT RINGNECKS WOULD LAND IN THE BACK OF THE DECOYS BUT THE 2ND WEEKEND OF THE SEASON THE LANDED INTO THE WIND IN FRONT OF THE DECOYS. I ALSO WAS TOLD TO OUT IN SOME CANS OR REDHEADS IN THE SPREAD. I HAVE CANS IN THE SPREAD AND IT SEEMS TO WORK. HOW ARE YOU PUT IN OUT YOUR SPREAD?
MICAH
hunter

Postby wbduckhunter » Thu Dec 09, 2004 4:16 pm

micah, hey is the stand by hunts are these chance good or if i don't get pick is there somewhere i can go that is close

don't want to waste a hunt on a gamble would like a back up plan

the place is Dan Denton waterfowl area at lake ocone do u know a place to hunt if i don't get pick.
wbduckhunter
hunter

Postby MICAH » Fri Dec 10, 2004 7:06 am

I DON'T KNOW KNOW WHAT YOUR CHANCES ARE TO GET TO HUNT STAND BY, I HAVE NEVER DONE IT, BUT EVERYTIME I HAVE GONE TO DARIEN SOME HUNTER HAVE NOT SHOWN UP. IN DARIEN YOU ARE NEAR SALTWATER, SO I GUESS IF YOU HAD A BOAT YOU COULD HUNT THE SALTWATER MARSH, BUT I WOULDN'T KNOW WHERE TO START. I DON'T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THE DAN DEATON PLACE.
MICAH
hunter

Postby jeremy adams » Fri Dec 10, 2004 7:56 pm

MICAH wrote:YEA WHERE WE NOW HUNT THERE ARE A LOT OF RINGNECKS AND WE PUT OUT ABOUT 2 DOZEN RINKS AND SOME COOTS. I ALWAYS THOUGHT THAT RINGNECKS WOULD LAND IN THE BACK OF THE DECOYS BUT THE 2ND WEEKEND OF THE SEASON THE LANDED INTO THE WIND IN FRONT OF THE DECOYS. I ALSO WAS TOLD TO OUT IN SOME CANS OR REDHEADS IN THE SPREAD. I HAVE CANS IN THE SPREAD AND IT SEEMS TO WORK. HOW ARE YOU PUT IN OUT YOUR SPREAD?
I USE A J TYPE PATTERN. THE LONG END WILL 45 DEGREE THE WIND(COOTS LOTS OF COOTS). WHEN IT BENDS IT IS VERY THIN LINE OF DECOYS. ALMOST A SINGAL LINE. KEEP COOTS ON THE OUTER EDGE THEN THROUGH SOME HEN MALLARDS OR GADS OUT BACK TO THE BANK . TRY TO PUT MOST OF YOUR DRAKE RINGS IN THE BEND. ONLY A FEW FEET IN FRON OF YOU. ALSO THE BOTTOM OF MY J IS MORE LIKE AN L WITH A FINGURE ON IT. REMBER MOST DUCKS WANT COMIT AND LAND CROSSING YOUR DECOYS BUT BUZZ THE EDGE SO YOU CAN USE THE LONG J TO CUT OFF COVES AND THE REST OF LAKE.

i HUNT OVER 80 COOTS/30 RINGS/20 HEN MALLARDS/A MOJO/ON A VERY CALM MORNING AND MY SON(8 YEARS OLD)IS WITH ME A REMOTE CONTROL HEN MALLARD/ NO GREENHEADS!!!!!!!
jeremy adams
hunter

Return to Georgia Duck Hunting