Seminole????

For those who enjoy duck hunting in Georgia this is the place to discuss everything from Georgia duck hunting outfitters to hunting pintails, mallards and canvasbacks on lake Seminole.

Moderators: Dep6, Remman, caleb

Seminole????

Postby hamer174 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:18 am

Looking at taking a trip down there next weekend for opening of second split. Anyone have any luck this year? im not asking for spots just seeing if anyone is seeing any birds.
hamer174
hunter

Re: Seminole????

Postby Dep6 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:09 pm

I know someone that went down. Told me there were about as many boats as there were birds.
Saving the Poodles of America, one Alligator at a time!!
Dep6
Site Admin

Postby SouthernWingsAssaultTeam » Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:40 pm

i live on seminole and will not hunt it opening day bc there is way to many people hunting it and ive never seen anybody do very great with everybody bunched up together.i would suggest goin in the middle of the week if you are goin to.there was sum birds here the first split but now i havnt seen much at all.honest truth there.
Rodney Hill
Echo championship calls prostaff
Avian X Fieldstaff
SouthernWingsAssaultTeam
hunter

Postby hamer174 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:53 pm

Yeah we are looking at holding off, with the heat and crowd combined doesnt sound like fun.
hamer174
hunter

Postby kneedeep81 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:39 am

Decent number of ducks for the weather, plenty of Rubberheads too!! Should be a little better this weekend. Lucked out and my son has a state playoff game in Bainbridge for 7-8yr old rec Football at noon, so we plan on hunting all day!!
"I could slam it in yo face! I could slam it in yo MAMA'S face!" - Si
kneedeep81
hunter

Postby Maxus11 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:46 am

I was on the water yesterday, nice numbers for how warm it is down here. Plan on scouting more during this week because all that I saw yesterday were sky high!
Maxus11
Newb

Postby hamer174 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:40 pm

Well if looks like we are heading that way after all. Figure anytime on the water is better than sitting at the house still crying over College Football :smile:
hamer174
hunter

Postby SouthernWingsAssaultTeam » Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:49 pm

Wasn't that many ducks as it was... We shot a pile of woodies and gadwall but we didn't go anywhere near the lake.
Rodney Hill
Avian X Fieldstaff
SouthernWingsAssaultTeam
hunter

Postby GAbirdhunter » Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:21 pm

About five boats loaded with sky busters blowing mallard calls for every duck that there is on the lake....
GAbirdhunter
hunter

Postby hamer174 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:29 pm

It was a Fun and intresting first trip to Seminole for me. Killed some ringnecks, bluebill, and golden. Had a Buddy who killed a Drake Redhead. Alot of people though Saturday morning and had a few boat try to sit about 40yds from us. Also heard someone in a boat using a crow call. Oh well it was a fun trip and we got to Scratch out a few ducks. Anygood Reciepe for Ringers????
hamer174
hunter

Postby Dep6 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:18 am

by GAbirdhunter » Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:21 pm

About five boats loaded with sky busters blowing mallard calls for every duck that there is on the lake....

That is typical of Seminole the last few years. I may go try it next weekend, time will tell.
Dep6
Site Admin

Postby GAbirdhunter » Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:33 pm

Pretty aggravating to have birds working your decoys to have someone who got there after you set up 150 yards down and sky bust the birds that were working your set....or scare a bunch of ringnecks off by trying to blow their shiny new mallard call at them.....I try to hunt over there during the week when I can, much more peaceful then, and not nearly as aggravating
GAbirdhunter
hunter

Postby hamer174 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:02 pm

Yeah, We got on the Water and 2:30 Georgia time just to make sure we had a spot...I slept pretty good for an hour or 2 on the boat haha
hamer174
hunter

Postby Dep6 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:38 pm

by hamer174 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:02 pm

Yeah, We got on the Water and 2:30 Georgia time just to make sure we had a spot...I slept pretty good for an hour or 2 on the boat haha

That is the other thing that got old, I used to hit the water around 2ish-3ish to get my spot then fight off the yahoos, got tired of that too.
Dep6
Site Admin

Postby Ajaxian » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:16 pm

Situation is about the same on the Florida side opening day.. Yahoos posted up about 75 yards from us and pepper us with shot all morning. Whiffed on a pair of Drake redheads that came off the back of the boat, but managed a few ringers. Went out yesterday this nasty weather cold and wet :beer: got a nice wigeon and a few ringers.
Ajaxian
hunter

Postby kneedeep81 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:40 am

Should be good through the end of the month. Colder weather is on the way!!
"I could slam it in yo face! I could slam it in yo MAMA'S face!" - Si
kneedeep81
hunter

Postby Dakota27 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:58 am

So help me out here...Should I bring my mallard calls, my crow calls or no calls??? Kills me how some folks will show up late to the party and come on in anyway. Guess you can have too much camoflage for human eyes but not enough for the ducks! Heading down in a week or two to give it a try. Hoping for more cold weather to push the ducks down and keep me from sweating!
Dakota27
Newb

Postby tpj070 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:46 pm

Went earlier in the week. Terrible killed 3 ringnecks and one ruddy duck in two days. Thats 4 guns too. Terrible.
tpj070
hunter

Postby Maxus11 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:00 pm

A single wood duck today out of 3 guns
Maxus11
Newb

Postby GADKHNTR » Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:47 am

anybody who travels to hunt that lake deserves exactly what they shoot
"I missed 'cause everytime I shot I slid further down that log I was sittin' on."
GADKHNTR
hunter

Postby SouthernWingsAssaultTeam » Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:25 pm

GADKHNTR wrote:anybody who travels to hunt that lake deserves exactly what they shoot

i heard that!! i live here and there is nothin here worth traveling for.i killed a few woodies this week thats it.and i hunt everyday.luckily i have a cypress pond that we own.i havnt been back out there and wont unless there is a decent amount of ducks.but it just hasnt been here this year.
Rodney Hill
Avian X Fieldstaff
SouthernWingsAssaultTeam
hunter

Postby Dep6 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:55 am

So help me out here...Should I bring my mallard calls, my crow calls or no calls??? Kills me how some folks will show up late to the party and come on in anyway. Guess you can have too much camoflage for human eyes but not enough for the ducks! Heading down in a week or two to give it a try. Hoping for more cold weather to push the ducks down and keep me from sweating!

Leave the calls at home, maybe make you up a jerk string, you will get more out of it down there "I suspect.
Dep6
Site Admin

Postby jedisme » Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:29 pm

Grew up hunting that lake, won't hunt it anymore. Not worth the hassle, sleeping in the boat is not my idea of a good time. Besides I'd take 3 wooducks over 6 diving ducks anyday :hammer:.
jedisme
hunter

Postby gaducman » Thu May 23, 2013 3:14 pm

About 20 years ago Seminole had large hydrilla beds where the bass in the summer would go for the cool shady water. There they continued to feed and grow to bragging size. These same beds were a factory for invertebrate production. Waterfowl management professionals use moist soil management for invertebrate production. Waterfowl need protein and invertebrates are the source they need not corn! Well the Corp in their questionable wisdom decided to spray and kill all or most of the hydrilla so boats would have an easier time navigating the lake. Now the ducks have lost an important and abundant food source. There used to be a half million coots and 10,000 ducks that wintered on Seminole as FWS surveys showed. Most,not all, waterfowl do not migrate with photoperiod. The two major factors that determine bird migration is the availability of food and the absence of pressure from predation, humans included. So why would birds accumulate on Ole Sem where there is little to eat and nowhere to loaf freely. The goose that lay the golden egg was the hydrilla plant which could be returned to areas with control management and the pressure could be reduced by stopping hunting at 12 noon daily except the last day of the season. Sadly there is no reason to go to what used to be a great waterfowling area with hunters instead of sky busting shooters and empty skies!

Our DNR told me once that the hydrilla plant was a foreign species and played no benefitual part in the lake's ecosystem. I replied that the dam and lake was a foreign and artificial environment created by man and that the hydrilla was a successionary plant to what we created. Our DNR could not give a counter argument to my point. Anyway GA does not give waterfowlers the support as other states do. Think of all the birds that fly thru GA to awaiting decoys and guns in FL! Probably half of the out of state hunters in AR are from GA. You can see the many GA tags at the AR boat landings. Our hardwood river bottoms are gone with their foods of acorns and invertebrates. Finally there is nothing on a pine tree or in it's forest with any food source for a hungry duck, so why should a duck come to or stay in GA? I don't know how to bring ethics to these shooters who can only be described as greedy and without Southern manners. Waterfowl hunters they are not! There are a lot of good waterfowl hunters and wannabes in GA. Huntable habitat can be developed if enough hunters push for it. Especially on nearby lands of Seminole.
gaducman
hunter

Postby SouthernWingsAssaultTeam » Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:14 pm

Well written , I am in favor of no hunting past noon. The reason why i am is because of the few people that i have seen that hunt the roast in the afternoon way after hours and put a enormous amount of pressure on the ducks that are left on Seminole. And some of these guys call that duck hunting... But i believe Florida and Georgia DNR should pay close attention to how Arkansas and AGFC run there outfit. The guys here that are running the show are not educated enough on waterfowl or the habitat they need. Some of the things ive seen on the opening week here are worst than ive seen in Arkansas on opening day. It has really gotten to be aggravating the last couple of years.
Rodney Hill
Avian X Fieldstaff
SouthernWingsAssaultTeam
hunter

Next

Return to Georgia Duck Hunting