Duck Hunting Education

For those who enjoy duck hunting in Georgia this is the place to discuss everything from Georgia duck hunting outfitters to hunting pintails, mallards and canvasbacks on lake Seminole.

Moderators: Dep6, Remman, caleb

Duck Hunting Education

Postby benjaminayoung » Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:10 pm

My hunting partner and I went skeet shooting today (mid-season refresher), and we talked about putting together a duck hunting education program, and I was curious to know what the DHC community thought about it. Reason being is that we have see a lot of unethical or inexperienced things happening in the limited hunting areas.

My though was that no amount of education will change these habits, but the idea was that even if only a handful of hunters learn one or two things, it might not be a bad thing.

Ideas, thoughts, suggestions?
Most Common phrases out of a duckers mouth:
Why couldn't you have been born a duck!!!
OH S*&T, DUCKS!
Damn tweedy bird, you about got shot.
There's a whole bunch of duc..oh wait, tweety birds.
I about turned this mosquito into a duck
I just got ate up
benjaminayoung
hunter

Re: Duck Hunting Education

Postby Dep6 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:18 pm

Main problem I see with it: Where to hold it where there is access state wide, cause folks in the Southern end of the state are as deserving as the folks in the Northern part of the state.
Saving the Poodles of America, one Alligator at a time!!
Dep6
Site Admin

Postby camarine » Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:44 pm

I don't think there has to be just one event for the whole state. This idea could spread around and multiple people all around the state can do this locally.

Too bad there isn't a state mandated waterfowl hunting education that is required before you purchase a migratory bird stamp.

I know you won't be able to completely do away with unethical practices, but at least it is a start. It has the potential to be more productive then just complaining.
camarine
hunter

Postby jaker » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:25 pm

I believe Larry Young put something together like this, not sure how well it worked......
2009 - 2010 (My boat)

Bw Teal- 7
jaker
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:59 pm

jaker wrote:I believe Larry Young put something together like this, not sure how well it worked......

I cant remember if it was Larry Young or not but someone did do this exact thing and from what i remember it had a pretty good turnout. this was all done on GON if yall were wondering.
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby benjaminayoung » Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:36 pm

So many avenues to approach by. A general hunting education program, for specific type of hunting (i.e. ducks/deer/quail/turkey) would be very good. What I'm more concerned about is, would hunters change habits. How long will it be before something terrible happens and then we have laws, similar to Currituck County in NC (read this post, and you'll see what I'm talking about..blind laws: viewtopic.php?f=48&t=211136).

We {hunters} are our own worst enemy.

Here's an interesting question, how many of you have had a some hunters come up on you, and instead of trying to chase em' off, you invited them to saddle up with you?
OH S*&T, DUCKS!
I just got ate up
benjaminayoung
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:16 am

benjaminayoung wrote:So many avenues to approach by. A general hunting education program, for specific type of hunting (i.e. ducks/deer/quail/turkey) would be very good. What I'm more concerned about is, would hunters change habits. How long will it be before something terrible happens and then we have laws, similar to Currituck County in NC (read this post, and you'll see what I'm talking about..blind laws: viewtopic.php?f=48&t=211136).

We {hunters} are our own worst enemy.

Here's an interesting question, how many of you have had a some hunters come up on you, and instead of trying to chase em' off, you invited them to saddle up with you?

my brother in law and i tried to get some guys that walked up with no decoys or calls at 615 opening day in athens but where we were hunting was right on the edge of the wma and private land and the guys sat on the private land. we didnt know if they owned it so we did not cross the line to talk to the and it was to close to shooting time to yell across the pond.
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby benjaminayoung » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:49 am

Krazy, I understand that all too well. That's just one of the reasons I stopped hunting the area you are talking about. However, I have in the past been at a boat ramp, with other hunters (not of my group), and watched them have motor problems. I ended up going to a spot they were headed too also, so we decided to team up. I towed his boat, and all four of us had a bang em' up time. When ever I go down to FL, I call him up and we hunt a weekend.
OH S*&T, DUCKS!
I just got ate up
benjaminayoung
hunter

Return to Georgia Duck Hunting