Alligator in Lake Lanier?

For those who enjoy duck hunting in Georgia this is the place to discuss everything from Georgia duck hunting outfitters to hunting pintails, mallards and canvasbacks on lake Seminole.

Moderators: Dep6, Remman, caleb

Postby Duckslayer26 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:23 pm

I was doing some scouting on Lanier this morning and came across some tracks coming out of the water and then turned around and went back in. I have never seen a track of this nature anywhere except for on the Ga coast. I will get a pic of it tom. Its hard to explain but I will do the best I can. it looked like a turkey track with the 3 toes pushed closer together with 2 extra toes, one on each of the sides of the footprint that were half the size of the ones in the middle but It def had claws on all toes and there was no toe on the backside of each footprint like a crane would make. it was about 5"-6" long and the size of my hand spread out as far as I could go. It kinda looks like a heel on the back side of every print. There were about 15-20 of these footprints and every single one was EXACTLY the same. i will upload the picture I took tomorrow. I was confused for hrs and couldnt stop thinking about it and then it clicked. I looked up gator prints to make double sure i was thinking right and they fit the description. The only thing that doesnt make sense is there is no slide nor tail mark following the prints. I know it seems far fetched and all but there is no other explanation. It wont let me add the pictures of the track. I will have to downsize the picture tonight.
Whack em & stack em!
Duckslayer26
hunter

Re: Alligator in Lake Lanier?

Postby Dep6 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:14 pm

Stranger things have happened on that Lake. I remember a homicide back in the 70's next door to my grandfather's cabin. It has since been sold. But I do remember it, the killer had put the body down by the lake.

As to Alligators, I do know DNR removed a 4 foot one over by Gainesville somewheres last year and also remember that 8 foot one that was captured over where I285 and the Chattahoochee cross on the west side. So it is not a HUGE stretch to imagine one on Lanier even to this time of year, look how warm it is.
Saving the Poodles of America, one Alligator at a time!!
Dep6
Site Admin

Postby Dep6 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:54 am

Pics of the tracks, I am not thinking Gator but I been wrong, anyone?

Dep6
Site Admin

Postby jaker » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:22 pm

not a gator, appears to be a deer, and on that one print it stepped in the track twice or a crane stepped on the same spot....... but whatever it is, definately not a gator track.
2009 - 2010 (My boat)

Bw Teal- 7
jaker
hunter

Postby Duckslayer26 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:41 pm

jaker wrote:not a gator, appears to be a deer, and on that one print it stepped in the track twice or a crane stepped on the same spot....... but whatever it is, definately not a gator track.

It has 5 toes and all toes have claw marks. I know it looks like a deer track and a crane stepped in it but 15+ times making the exact same print every time to a T. The only other thing i could think of is a prehistoric giant turtle lol. Im going back out tom and will take more pictures. Thanks for posting deputy.
Whack em & stack em!
Duckslayer26
hunter

Postby Duckslayer26 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:50 pm

Just called DNR and talked to a biologist and im sending him the pictures. He said it sounds like a beaver and cold even possibly be a gator. Yes he said a gator this far north is possible.
Whack em & stack em!
Duckslayer26
hunter

Postby DUCK-DAWG » Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:55 pm

Beaver.
DUCK-DAWG
hunter

Postby Duckslayer26 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:01 pm

I have seen tons of beaver tracks down on our property in south ga and none honestly have looked like this but im hopeing it is a beaver for my buddies dogs sake.
Whack em & stack em!
Duckslayer26
hunter

Postby Big Fish » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:52 pm

Here is a pic from this fall for comparison...
Attachments
473389_295917820497792_813538858_o.jpg
Big Fish
hunter

Postby Duckslayer26 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:34 pm

I called Lake Lanier DNR this afternoon and talked to a biologist and sent him the pictures. He said on the phone more in likely a beaver but when he emailed me back he said it was a gator for sure.
Whack em & stack em!
Duckslayer26
hunter

Postby Big Fish » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:31 pm

[/quote]The only other thing i could think of is a prehistoric giant turtle lol.[/quote]

If not a gator, perhaps one of these?
Attachments
679938_4525223442637_511689246_o.jpg
Big Fish
hunter

Postby Duckslayer26 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:43 pm

Big Fish wrote:
The only other thing i could think of is a prehistoric giant turtle lol.[/quote]

If not a gator, perhaps one of these?[/quote]
Lol what the hell is that ? A turvalosaraptorsaurus? Lol
Whack em & stack em!
Duckslayer26
hunter

Postby Dep6 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:28 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Dep6
Site Admin

Postby Duckslayer26 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:53 am

So if were huntin and my buddies dog is out retrieving a duck or goose and we see this gator swimmin towards the dog can we shoot the gator in self defense8?
Whack em & stack em!
Duckslayer26
hunter

Postby flyfisher76544 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:19 am

Duckslayer26 wrote:So if were huntin and my buddies dog is out retrieving a duck or goose and we see this gator swimmin towards the dog can we shoot the gator in self defense8?

The way the weather is looking for this weekend I would leave the pup at home.
Hunt where the ducks want to be, not where you want the ducks to be
flyfisher76544
hunter

Postby B.Hud » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:26 am

someone dumped a gator in there a few years back. they finally trapped it after a few months
Shouldbeaguide wrote: We rolled donuts all weekend on green tops and specks. Make sure your facts are strait
B.Hud
hunter

Postby jaker » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:05 pm

never seen a gator track that looked like that......but maybe it is.
2009 - 2010 (My boat)

Bw Teal- 7
jaker
hunter

Postby Duckslayer26 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:03 pm

jaker wrote:never seen a gator track that looked like that......but maybe it is.

Its what the DNR Biologist said it was so i guess it is. I went back out there to take more pics but the rain last night apparently washed em away. I looked a good 30-45 min for them but couldnt find them in the spot they were t. I did see a ton of beaver tracks but they were half the size of the track i took the pic of and you could see where the beavers tail as dragging.
Whack em & stack em!
Duckslayer26
hunter

Postby Dep6 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:08 pm

In answer to your question, yes you can kill it if it is threatening your dog. If you suspect the Gator is there, go part way out there with your dog on the retreive or you may be out of range of your shotgun to do any good. Shine the area real good when you get there and see if you see any red eyes, if a Gator is there, they will be a kind of glowing red in a spotlight.
Dep6
Site Admin

Postby chris_k » Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:34 pm

Im confused. There is possibly ONE gator in your lake and you are worried about your dog?!? Hahahaha.
Getcha Pull!
chris_k
hunter

Postby Duckslayer26 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:56 pm

chris_k wrote:Im confused. There is possibly ONE gator in your lake and you are worried about your dog?!? Hahahaha.

Its not my lake, its a 38,834 acre lake. The spot where i found the tracks is really close to where we hunt. I have buddies who live on the lake and apparently have seen a few gators in the past yr which i just found out about when i told them yesterday about this one. It wouldnt be funny if you had a dog you loved get eaten by a gator would it? I dont think so! Also its my buddies dog not mine and I love his dog as much as he does so ya if theres a gator around im gona look out for his dog. Thanks for your concern and have a nice night!
Whack em & stack em!
Duckslayer26
hunter

Postby Duckslayer26 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:00 pm

Dep6 wrote:In answer to your question, yes you can kill it if it is threatening your dog. If you suspect the Gator is there, go part way out there with your dog on the retreive or you may be out of range of your shotgun to do any good. Shine the area real good when you get there and see if you see any red eyes, if a Gator is there, they will be a kind of glowing red in a spotlight.

Thanks for giving me a straight answer instead of a sarcastic one like some people on here. Apparently some people dont care about their animals (chris k). Il do that cause i know gators hunt/move mostly at night and a little during the day. My buddy also carries a S&W 40 with him every time we hunt. He may be hibernating since the water is getting cold now or barely moving around.
Whack em & stack em!
Duckslayer26
hunter

Postby Dep6 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:53 pm

True they might be but shine that light around like I told ya and you will know if one is there. Not an LED light but a good old fashioned spotlight. The eyes look almost light green in an LED light.
Dep6
Site Admin

Postby B.Hud » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:47 pm

just tell me where you were at and ill go take care of the problem :hammer:
Shouldbeaguide wrote: We rolled donuts all weekend on green tops and specks. Make sure your facts are strait
B.Hud
hunter

Postby Duckslayer26 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:04 pm

B.Hud wrote:just tell me where you were at and ill go take care of the problem :hammer:

Il take care of him if we feel threatened or feel the dogs life is in jeopardy. Thanks anyway
Whack em & stack em!
Duckslayer26
hunter

Next

Return to Georgia Duck Hunting