having any luck???

For those who enjoy duck hunting in Georgia this is the place to discuss everything from Georgia duck hunting outfitters to hunting pintails, mallards and canvasbacks on lake Seminole.

Moderators: Dep6, Remman, caleb

having any luck???

Postby b_hoov » Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:23 pm

This morning me and millertimeUSMC a fellow member got together and hit my local swamp. Put out about 40 decoys and did a good amount of calling. We never saw a single bird and were knee deep in muddy swamp from about 5:45-11:00. Never heard any shots either. (swamp and river next to it feed into the north portion of lanier, about a half mile away) so we bagged up the decoys and went searching. Spotted a few while crossing the green bridge over lanier on borwns bridge road and tried to get closer for a better look (about 150yds out) and we just couldnt make it happen on foot. Wondering what everyone else is seeing out there. We had a perfect spot, about 3-4ft deep, tall grass, plenty of trees/cover, a big portion of the swamp is wide open for feeding etc. Plenty for them to eat, and we didnt see the first duck! i was reffered to this swamp by a relative and was told that i had to be there early cause it got packed pretty quick. Me and millertimeUSMC were the only souls out there today, and monday when i did my scouting it was much warmer but still no ducks or other hunters. If you have any ideas or thoughts on the matter i'd love to hear them.
Eagle Scout, Harley Davidson Master Tech, And Avid Outdoorsman
“Without wilderness, we will eventually lose the capacity to understand America.
” -Harvey Broome
b_hoov
Newb

Re: having any luck???

Postby millertimeUSMC » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:04 pm

On the way back home I went searching again went back to the swamp nothing man. Lemme know if you spot anything this evening.
USMC OEF VET 09-13
Board Member/Director of Community Outreach
The Warfighter Foundation
warfighterfoundation.org
millertimeUSMC
hunter

Postby jaker » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:26 am

b_hoov wrote:This morning me and millertimeUSMC a fellow member got together and hit my local swamp. Put out about 40 decoys and did a good amount of calling. We never saw a single bird and were knee deep in muddy swamp from about 5:45-11:00. Never heard any shots either. (swamp and river next to it feed into the north portion of lanier, about a half mile away) so we bagged up the decoys and went searching. Spotted a few while crossing the green bridge over lanier on borwns bridge road and tried to get closer for a better look (about 150yds out) and we just couldnt make it happen on foot. Wondering what everyone else is seeing out there. We had a perfect spot, about 3-4ft deep, tall grass, plenty of trees/cover, a big portion of the swamp is wide open for feeding etc. Plenty for them to eat, and we didnt see the first duck! i was reffered to this swamp by a relative and was told that i had to be there early cause it got packed pretty quick. Me and millertimeUSMC were the only souls out there today, and monday when i did my scouting it was much warmer but still no ducks or other hunters. If you have any ideas or thoughts on the matter i'd love to hear them.

sounds like yall need to do some more scouting, just because an area looks good, doesn't mean there are birds in it. get out there and burn some gas, you will find birds if you try hard enough.

P.s. If Yall didn't see any birds, why exactly were yall doing a good bit of calling all morning? fyi, there is no point in calling if you don't have birds in sight, secondly, about 90% of guys that I have witnessed in georgia would kill more if they left the calls at home.
2009 - 2010 (My boat)

Bw Teal- 7
jaker
hunter

Postby benjaminayoung » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:43 am

jaker wrote:about 90% of guys that I have witnessed in georgia would kill more if they left the calls at home.

Yep, and also let the birds come..and by that I mean, stop jumping the gate and shooting early. I tell any duck hunters I meet this "Replace the word duck, with woman." Would you want to shoot off all your "ammo" :wink:, before you could hit the intended target?
Most Common phrases out of a duckers mouth:
Why couldn't you have been born a duck!!!
OH S*&T, DUCKS!
Damn tweedy bird, you about got shot.
There's a whole bunch of duc..oh wait, tweety birds.
I about turned this mosquito into a duck
I just got ate up
benjaminayoung
hunter

Return to Georgia Duck Hunting