River hunting

For those who enjoy duck hunting in Georgia this is the place to discuss everything from Georgia duck hunting outfitters to hunting pintails, mallards and canvasbacks on lake Seminole.

Moderators: Dep6, Remman, caleb

River hunting

Postby Ga ducker » Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:52 pm

Hey y'all i was wondering if anybody can give me some tips on hunting rivers. I hunt a piece of land on the Oconee river near Athens and I mostly deer hunt but I have a few stands near the river and I very regularly hear ducks on the river and if I hunt close to the river sometimes I'll see ducks floating down the river. I believe I found a good place to set up. I found a bend in the river where I have good visibility and near where I hear the ducks and I also have good cover. But if I use decoys will they be fine (meaning they won't float down the river) as long as the weight is touching the bottom? I'm just a little nervous I'll lose look on the water at some point and see my deeks floating away! I figured if I hunted one morning and didn't shoot any ducks I could always walk the river and jump shoot them. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Sorry I wasn't too specific but I just wanted some tips!
Ga ducker
hunter

Re: River hunting

Postby Dep6 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:57 pm

With the river current I would think about at least doubling my weights or even tripling, if there is a good strong current running in that bend.
Saving the Poodles of America, one Alligator at a time!!
Dep6
Site Admin

Postby Ga ducker » Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:11 pm

Its probably going to be pretty strong right now because we've been getting a good bit of rain lately. Is it worth hunting rivers? I know I'll most likely see wood ducks and maybe some mallards. Any other birds I might could expect on a river?
Ga ducker
hunter

Postby Dep6 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:22 pm

Hard to say without scouting. But Mallards and woodies make a fine limit!!
Saving the Poodles of America, one Alligator at a time!!
Dep6
Site Admin

Return to Georgia Duck Hunting