How far?

For those who enjoy duck hunting in Georgia this is the place to discuss everything from Georgia duck hunting outfitters to hunting pintails, mallards and canvasbacks on lake Seminole.

Moderators: Dep6, Remman, caleb

How far?

Postby Duckslayer26 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:45 pm

How far do you have to be to duck hunt off the side of the road? I have looked for a while now and cannot find a specific answer. I see in alot of other states as long as your not shooting towards the road and not in the ditch or side of the road then your ok. Is that the same for Ga? I have found a nice spot about 80-100 yrds off the side of the road and really want to hunt it in the morning.
Whack em & stack em!
Duckslayer26
hunter

Re: How far?

Postby DUCK-DAWG » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:08 am

Call the GA DNR. When it comes to legality questions, I wouldn't go off of here-say from an internet forum.
DUCK-DAWG
hunter

Postby Duckslayer26 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:44 am

DUCK-DAWG wrote:Call the GA DNR. When it comes to legality questions, I wouldn't go off of here-say from an internet forum.

ya, very true. I just hope it legal to hunt cause Is scouted it and know I would get my limit of woodsy & mallards!
Whack em & stack em!
Duckslayer26
hunter

Postby Dep6 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:50 pm

Most of them would or should tell you that it is like 250 feet from a roadway I believe.
Saving the Poodles of America, one Alligator at a time!!
Dep6
Site Admin

Postby Duckslayer26 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:31 pm

Dep6 wrote:Most of them would or should tell you that it is like 250 feet from a roadway I believe.

I emailed them and they emailed me back saying 1000'
Whack em & stack em!
Duckslayer26
hunter

Postby Dep6 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:13 am

I was wrong then I reckon.
Dep6
Site Admin

Postby Duckslayer26 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:27 pm

Dep6 wrote:I was wrong then I reckon.

I cant find it anywhere where it says 1000' except for the regs on Lake Lanier only.
Whack em & stack em!
Duckslayer26
hunter

Postby chris_k » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:25 pm

Just don't get caught
Getcha Pull!
chris_k
hunter

Postby Dep6 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:45 pm

I know in the past with like dove hunting, Green Jeans has told me 250 feet from a roadway but I know I have seen other hunts with guys much closer than 250 feet to the roadway.
Dep6
Site Admin

Postby Duckslayer26 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:05 pm

Dep6 wrote:I know in the past with like dove hunting, Green Jeans has told me 250 feet from a roadway but I know I have seen other hunts with guys much closer than 250 feet to the roadway.

ya I have seen guys in the ditch about 10' off the side of the road before haha i wouldnt risk that.
Whack em & stack em!
Duckslayer26
hunter

Postby hydrilla » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:40 pm

The Game Wardens you guys talked to obviously haven't read the regulations. This information is easily found in the regulations, online or otherwise.

Unlawful Activities (General Hunting)

Hunt, shoot, kill, or wound any farmed deer (e.g. elk, red deer, fallow deer, sika deer, or axis deer) or exotic wild animal (e.g. farmed deer, mouflon sheep, Barbary sheep [aoudad], antelope, etc.) held under a wild animal license for enjoyment, gain, amusement, or sport.
Hunting while under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
Use of any pitfall, deadfall, snare, catch, trap, net, exposed salt or minerals, live decoy, or baited hook to take game species.
Hunting or shooting from or across a public road.
Discharging a firearm within 50 yards of a public road.
Hunting from a vehicle, plane, or boat under power.
Hunting without landowners’ permission, including power line, gas line, railroad and other rights-of-way. Written permission must be obtained if land is so posted.
Use of drugs, poisons, chemicals, smoke, gas, or explosives, or electronically-amplified sounds to hunt any game species.
Use of electronic communications equipment to aid in the pursuit of game.
Use of a computer or any other device to remotely discharge a firearm for the purpose of hunting.
Selling or purchasing any game species or parts thereof, except antlers, hides, and tails of legally taken deer, tails of legally taken squirrels, and legally taken alligator products.
Disturbing wildlife dens, holes, or homes, or driving wildlife, except venomous snakes, from their dens, holes, or homes.
Blinding wildlife with lights.
Killing or crippling game without reasonable efforts to retrieve.
Holding, possessing, releasing, or importing wildlife without a permit from the DNR.
Concealing the taking or possession of wildlife (or parts) which the person in possession reasonably should have known was obtained illegally.

For most public lakes it is double that at 300 feet but it is 1000 feet for Lanier.
hydrilla
hunter

Postby Dep6 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:22 am

TY sir I stand corrected, and your right, should have looked it up.
Dep6
Site Admin

Postby Duckslayer26 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:53 pm

hydrilla wrote:The Game Wardens you guys talked to obviously haven't read the regulations. This information is easily found in the regulations, online or otherwise.

Unlawful Activities (General Hunting)

Hunt, shoot, kill, or wound any farmed deer (e.g. elk, red deer, fallow deer, sika deer, or axis deer) or exotic wild animal (e.g. farmed deer, mouflon sheep, Barbary sheep [aoudad], antelope, etc.) held under a wild animal license for enjoyment, gain, amusement, or sport.
Hunting while under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
Use of any pitfall, deadfall, snare, catch, trap, net, exposed salt or minerals, live decoy, or baited hook to take game species.
Hunting or shooting from or across a public road.
Discharging a firearm within 50 yards of a public road.
Hunting from a vehicle, plane, or boat under power.
Hunting without landowners’ permission, including power line, gas line, railroad and other rights-of-way. Written permission must be obtained if land is so posted.
Use of drugs, poisons, chemicals, smoke, gas, or explosives, or electronically-amplified sounds to hunt any game species.
Use of electronic communications equipment to aid in the pursuit of game.
Use of a computer or any other device to remotely discharge a firearm for the purpose of hunting.
Selling or purchasing any game species or parts thereof, except antlers, hides, and tails of legally taken deer, tails of legally taken squirrels, and legally taken alligator products.
Disturbing wildlife dens, holes, or homes, or driving wildlife, except venomous snakes, from their dens, holes, or homes.
Blinding wildlife with lights.
Killing or crippling game without reasonable efforts to retrieve.
Holding, possessing, releasing, or importing wildlife without a permit from the DNR.
Concealing the taking or possession of wildlife (or parts) which the person in possession reasonably should have known was obtained illegally.

For most public lakes it is double that at 300 feet but it is 1000 feet for Lanier.

See thats what I read and when i called to confirm they said no its 1000', i tried telling them it doesnt say that except for lanier and they said its for everywhere. Apparently they didnt know what they were doin
Whack em & stack em!
Duckslayer26
hunter

Postby Dep6 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:47 am

I know it is 300 feet from a dock on Blackshear.
Dep6
Site Admin

Postby hydrilla » Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:21 pm

Unfortunately, many game wardens aren't up to date on rules and regulations, especiallly when it comes to waterfowl hunting. I have been checked before by wardens who couldn't even identify the birds we had, so I new it would be a long stop each time they poped out the Lemaster book. Even if you tell them what the birds are, they don't like to believe you. I also went with a couple of friends to one of the Butler island quota hunts this year( I knew it would be a waste of time before I went), and some kids from ABAC were cutting off the wings of the birds for some poject. One of the hot shot game wardens their told a hunter it was illegal to have a bird without at least one wing, and threatened to write him a ticket. The kids even quit cutting off both wings. The regulation is the bird has to have its head or one fully feather wing for identification, so taking both wings wasn't illegal. Again, the warden didn't know what he was talking about. The moral of all of this is it falls on you to read up on and know the regualtions. Then if some ill informed game warden writes you a ticket for something that isn't really illegal, you can smile as you tell him you will see him in court.
hydrilla
hunter

Return to Georgia Duck Hunting