Duck Hunting Forum banner

Help Wanted!

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  sprtslvr1973 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I'm new to duck hunting and am in need of someone to "show me the ropes".
I live in Athens so I know there's not really anywhere close that's ideal for duck hunting, but I'm willing to drive
I've never stepped foot in a duckblind or put on a pair of waders so any help is greatly appreciated!

#2 ·
you do have some duck hunting opportunitys near you if you look at the ga dnr website and find the redlands wma is it public and only 30min drive from downtown athens. it does get alot o pressure but there are woodies some mallards even some geese. also there are a few lakes that are with in an hour drive of you that get a decent amount of birds each year (mostly divers). but i would start by scouting and locating birds first. find out what birds are there if you can and use a few decoys to get their attention. hunt that spot you found the day after you find it and make sure you get there early because most likely someone else has found them as well. you dont need a call to shoot birds just find the location of where they want set up right were you saw them and hunt. if you find a few spots i would hunt the one that is the farthest out of the way because there is a better chance of getting there and not have someone sit on top of you.

here are some maps of some wmas near you as well
http://www.georgiawildlife.org/maps/hunting/region3

also if you find someone that will let you hunt with them it helps if you find the spot with them or even on your own and invite them to hunt with you. alot of people that duck hunt in GA dont want to give up thier spots because the good spots are hard to find and they dont want someone taking thier spots. i know public land is open to everyone but still you find that good spot and you dont want anyone to beat you or over pressure that spot so they try and keep them as secret as possible.

#4 ·
Dawgs2Drakes said:
I appreciate the advise man. Their any good calls you'd recommend?
dont really need them here maybe a goose call, wood duck call, and maybe a mallard call but really the only one that you would need is the goose call and that is just when you are hunting geese.

but learning how to blow a mallard call is kinda part of duck hunting and you can find tons of information on the them in the call section.

#5 ·
I would also suggest that if you've never been hunting that you take a hunters safety course before you begin searching for a hunting partner. Do you have guns, ammo, and warm clothing? Georgia doesn't get as cold as some states, but when it's 20 degrees outside you'll want a warm jacket. Any other advice and we'll be glad to answer your questions! Stay safe, and good hunting to you!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.