New to duck hunting

For those who enjoy duck hunting in Georgia this is the place to discuss everything from Georgia duck hunting outfitters to hunting pintails, mallards and canvasbacks on lake Seminole.

Moderators: Dep6, Remman, caleb

New to duck hunting

Postby Lucky_Cole » Sat May 25, 2013 10:58 am

I live in Gwinnett moving to Barrow pretty soon. Was never raised around the hunting, but really think I would enjoy spending time with nature and seeing her beautiful creatures and having a greater respect for wildlife. I plan on going out this fall and getting my feet wet, no pun intended. I already have my shotgun, Remington 870, and practice on a regular basis. I was wondering if you dont have private land or access to private land, can you only hunt in WMA regions or are there other options. I plan on getting my hunting license this summer and taking the courses for that. I know there is so much more for me to know, but what other basic info, equipment should I have in order to be successful?
Lucky_Cole
Newb

Re: New to duck hunting

Postby TNDuckBoy » Sat May 25, 2013 12:00 pm

You can hunt on any publc lake or river as long as it isn't a private area or piece of land. You will need some decoys and a duck call to get the ducks attention. You als will need some camo clothing to stay hidden from the ducks. Depending on the depth of the water you will also need some sort of boat.
2013-2014 Waterfowl Season

Canadian Geese-12
Mallards-4(3 drakes)
Canvasbacks-2(1drake)
Bluebills-5(4 drakes)
Redheads-7(6 drakes)
Pintails-1
Red Breasted Mergansers-6(1 drake)
Coots-22
TNDuckBoy
hunter

Postby Lucky_Cole » Sat May 25, 2013 12:17 pm

Thanks! I am planning on getting the camo during the summer. Seems to me that it would be cheaper to buy because of the low demand. Any particular brand of duck call? I was looking at duck commander, not because of duck dynasty, but because of the reputations and it seems to be a decent make. Do you have to have a dog to retrieve or is there another way?
Lucky_Cole
Newb

Postby TNDuckBoy » Sat May 25, 2013 7:38 pm

I prefer th Zink power hen duck call, it costs 30 dollars. I do have a dog and it it's a black lab. You don't have to have a dog, you can walk to get it or by boat but it makes hunting more fun and enjoyable with a dog by your side.
2013-2014 Waterfowl Season

Canadian Geese-12
Mallards-4(3 drakes)
Canvasbacks-2(1drake)
Bluebills-5(4 drakes)
Redheads-7(6 drakes)
Pintails-1
Red Breasted Mergansers-6(1 drake)
Coots-22
TNDuckBoy
hunter

Return to Georgia Duck Hunting