New Duck Hunter Preserve coming to Statesboro,Ga Area

For those who enjoy duck hunting in Georgia this is the place to discuss everything from Georgia duck hunting outfitters to hunting pintails, mallards and canvasbacks on lake Seminole.

Moderators: Dep6, Remman, caleb

New Duck Hunter Preserve coming to Statesboro,Ga Area

Postby bioman911 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:26 pm

New Duck hunt preserve coming to Georgia in the Bulloch county area. Will let everyone know when it is to open. First hunt will be in middle or late Dec. :smile: Watch for up coming info on this forum.
bioman911
hunter

Re: New Duck Hunter Preserve coming to Statesboro,Ga Area

Postby hydrilla » Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:57 pm

bioman911 wrote:New Duck hunt preserve coming to Georgia in the Bulloch county area. Will let everyone know when it is to open. First hunt will be in middle or late Dec. :smile: Watch for up coming info on this forum.

What is it called, Skeeter Creek?
hydrilla
hunter

Postby bioman911 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:49 pm

We are in the working on the area now and I will let everyone no the name soon but we have a large area the is ponds surrounded by Cypress black water swamp. Very beautiful area and we are setting up all the Duck blinds, we also have a place for the hunters to come back to and have a meal waiting for them if that is the package that they are wanting. Fishing is also offered along with overnight lodging, Lot of things to do for the whole family. Hunting area is separate for camping and fishing area. Keep checking in on the status of the preserve.
bioman911
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:41 am

will these be pre released birds? because not being rude but i wouldnt pay to hunt statesboro unless i knew i had a 94.7% chance of shooting a limit.
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby bioman911 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:31 pm

To answer your question the ducks are per released so meeting the limit will have to do with your shoot, but the birds will be their for your hunting enjoyment, I believe you will be very surprised with the amount of birds we will have for you. Looking forward to seeing. Stay tune for the dates of grand opening.
bioman911
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:19 am

bioman911 wrote:To answer your question the ducks are per released so meeting the limit will have to do with your shoot, but the birds will be their for your hunting enjoyment, I believe you will be very surprised with the amount of birds we will have for you. Looking forward to seeing. Stay tune for the dates of grand opening.

what kind of ducks will you be pre releasing also is it a pay by the bird kinda shoot (shoot 3 then have to pay an additional fee for each bird) or pay for one hunt and you get to shoot a true limit of 6 ducks (according to regs of course)
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby hydrilla » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:37 pm

krazybronco2 wrote:
bioman911 wrote:To answer your question the ducks are per released so meeting the limit will have to do with your shoot, but the birds will be their for your hunting enjoyment, I believe you will be very surprised with the amount of birds we will have for you. Looking forward to seeing. Stay tune for the dates of grand opening.

what kind of ducks will you be pre releasing also is it a pay by the bird kinda shoot (shoot 3 then have to pay an additional fee for each bird) or pay for one hunt and you get to shoot a true limit of 6 ducks (according to regs of course)

Anytime you see "preserve", it is a tammie shoot. They buy a bunch of mallards and raise them up for you to come in and shoot them as they fly from pond to pond. It will be a clipped toe mallard hunt like Skeeter Branch or any of the other hunting preserves. You will hunt over corn and shoot as many ducks as your wallet is willing to pay for. To each his own, but this isn't a migratory bird hunt and should be thought of more in terms of a tower pheasant shoot than a true duck hunt. Not trying to bash the place, but since the user signed up a few days ago just to advertise, I think the place should be presented for what it actually is.
hydrilla
hunter

Postby bioman911 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:02 am

Yes we buy the birds and we have different ponds for them to live in and fly in to eat, We are trying to give and fun hunt where the hunters able to see and shoot the Mallards coming in no they are not wild birds but there are many places that do this style of hunting all over the world, If this is not the type of hunt for you then I understand that but I hope you will still come and join us for some real fun hunts. The birds still fly at 60mph and are very tough to hunt but if anyone just wants to hunt only wild bird I do understand that, We are giving a place for hunters to come and have a great day of hunting, Good place to work your dogs and have a day of pristine hunting,
bioman911
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:12 pm

bioman911 wrote:Yes we buy the birds and we have different ponds for them to live in and fly in to eat, We are trying to give and fun hunt where the hunters able to see and shoot the Mallards coming in no they are not wild birds but there are many places that do this style of hunting all over the world, If this is not the type of hunt for you then I understand that but I hope you will still come and join us for some real fun hunts. The birds still fly at 60mph and are very tough to hunt but if anyone just wants to hunt only wild bird I do understand that, We are giving a place for hunters to come and have a great day of hunting, Good place to work your dogs and have a day of pristine hunting,

not calling you out to be honest working your dog at a preserve is not an excuse to go hunt there. yes any dog that has the desire to go will have fun but really they could care less if they are training or hunting they just want to chase something. but my thing is why do a preserve shoot when you can do the same thing alot cheaper with a few live flyers every month. and even get your dog on cripple birds by pulling the primary flight feathers on one wing and a ziptie around the legs. most of the time you can get mallards for $15 a piece go in with a few buddies get a couple for each dog and have just as much fun running your dog. so $30 bucks a month for a few ducks and in a whole year your dog would be on alot more "birds" for a little more than a preserve hunt. plus you can freeze the dead birds from training and use them over and over or dress them and eat them.
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby bioman911 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:01 pm

I can tell you that no duck we have will be clipped in any way they are tagged but that is my law and we would do that anyway just so we could keep up with where they are going if they leave, We are opening this for people that want to hunt and if this type of hunting is not for you I understand that and you would not need to come here to hunt, Everyone has there own way of doing things so I wish you well on you hunts and if you would like to come hunt with us we would be glad to have you,
Thank you for your comments.
bioman911
hunter

Postby hydrilla » Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:21 pm

bioman911 wrote:I can tell you that no duck we have will be clipped in any way they are tagged but that is my law and we would do that anyway just so we could keep up with where they are going if they leave, We are opening this for people that want to hunt and if this type of hunting is not for you I understand that and you would not need to come here to hunt, Everyone has there own way of doing things so I wish you well on you hunts and if you would like to come hunt with us we would be glad to have you,
Thank you for your comments.

Not sure what you mean by tagged but the law is you have to be able to distinguish them from wild birds, that is federal law. That way you can shoot over the limit and over corn. If you mean you are going to band every bird then you are o.k., but every bird has to be marked and most people simply clip a back toe. To each his own, so good luck with it, but if I were you I would use the term hunting loosely.
hydrilla
hunter

Postby Ringneck » Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:05 am

So how do you guys feel about all the released quail in GA that are put out for hunting?
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."

-Albert Einstein
Ringneck
hunter

Postby bioman911 » Sun Sep 01, 2013 3:22 pm

Yes I did mean Banding and we are following every law to the letter, Thank you for your post because I want everyone to know that we are trying to setup a great place for hunters to come and have a good safe environment to hunt and make friends. I know some hunter don't like this type of hunting but to each his own and I will never argue about the subject so please don't ask me to debate the ideas of released birds over wild bird. I do understand that some people don't like it just as some people don't like eating meat but so people do so please live and let live and God bless all of you and I hope that everybody are able to live free and are proud of our great country.
Thank you
bioman911
hunter

Postby Ringneck » Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:09 pm

bioman911 wrote:Yes I did mean Banding and we are following every law to the letter, Thank you for your post because I want everyone to know that we are trying to setup a great place for hunters to come and have a good safe environment to hunt and make friends. I know some hunter don't like this type of hunting but to each his own and I will never argue about the subject so please don't ask me to debate the ideas of released birds over wild bird. I do understand that some people don't like it just as some people don't like eating meat but so people do so please live and let live and God bless all of you and I hope that everybody are able to live free and are proud of our great country.
Thank you

I really don't care either way like a lot of hunters do. I'm a business owner and my mind works more along the lines of making money about 90% of the time. If people will pay for it....build and never look back. Always gonna be haters no matter the issue. If there was not a demand for these places wouldn't exist....period. Supply and demand works everytime.
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."

-Albert Einstein
Ringneck
hunter

Postby hydrilla » Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:23 pm

Ringneck wrote:So how do you guys feel about all the released quail in GA that are put out for hunting?

I was invited on a released quail hunt once, and I can say that is not for me either. I didn't particularly want to go then, but a good friend invited me, so I went. I would never go again. I do think there is a difference though. You virtually have no other options for quail in Georgia. Quail release ends up being a put and take system much like a trout stream of striped bass lake. There were plenty of quail when I was a kid, but I never see quail now that everything is a pine thicket. If you want to quail hunt and work you dog, you really don't have any other choice but to hunt released birds. With duck hunting you do have wild birds to hunt. Also, almost all released quail are going to die one way or another, and are limited to the small area in which they were released. Ant impact they have on the environment is localized to a small area. Released ducks on the other can become feral and breed year after year establishing population like what you see on some lakes in the South. They can also fly off and establish a range miles to hundred of miles from where they were released. There is also evidence that feral mallards have affected mottled duck populations in certain area by breeding with the native mottles, and there is some evidence they can carry disease. The big problem I have with tammie mallard shoots is that they shoot them over corn. If I can't shoot wild ducks over hand distributed corn, they shouldn't be able to shoot released ones over corn either. If a wild mallard, gadwall, or ringneck for than matter flies in, you can't tell me it doesn't get shot. You can also shoot as many ducks as you want on a preserve, but if a tammie escapes and establishes itself on a lake it becomes protected. You know a mallard nesting in Georgia in May isn't a migratory bird, yet you can't legally kill it like other non natives like pigeons because it is still protected by the migratory bird act. I have less problem with a pheasant tower shoot(no I've never done one), because at least then any bird that doesn't get shot isn't going to have an effect on any other wildlife, and will simply end up as buzzard or coyote food. Sorry of the long answer, but i did want to answer your question.
hydrilla
hunter

Postby Ringneck » Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:42 pm

hydrilla wrote:
Ringneck wrote:So how do you guys feel about all the released quail in GA that are put out for hunting?

I was invited on a released quail hunt once, and I can say that is not for me either. I didn't particularly want to go then, but a good friend invited me, so I went. I would never go again. I do think there is a difference though. You virtually have no other options for quail in Georgia. Quail release ends up being a put and take system much like a trout stream of striped bass lake. There were plenty of quail when I was a kid, but I never see quail now that everything is a pine thicket. If you want to quail hunt and work you dog, you really don't have any other choice but to hunt released birds. With duck hunting you do have wild birds to hunt. Also, almost all released quail are going to die one way or another, and are limited to the small area in which they were released. Ant impact they have on the environment is localized to a small area. Released ducks on the other can become feral and breed year after year establishing population like what you see on some lakes in the South. They can also fly off and establish a range miles to hundred of miles from where they were released. There is also evidence that feral mallards have affected mottled duck populations in certain area by breeding with the native mottles, and there is some evidence they can carry disease. The big problem I have with tammie mallard shoots is that they shoot them over corn. If I can't shoot wild ducks over hand distributed corn, they shouldn't be able to shoot released ones over corn either. If a wild mallard, gadwall, or ringneck for than matter flies in, you can't tell me it doesn't get shot. You can also shoot as many ducks as you want on a preserve, but if a tammie escapes and establishes itself on a lake it becomes protected. You know a mallard nesting in Georgia in May isn't a migratory bird, yet you can't legally kill it like other non natives like pigeons because it is still protected by the migratory bird act. I have less problem with a pheasant tower shoot(no I've never done one), because at least then any bird that doesn't get shot isn't going to have an effect on any other wildlife, and will simply end up as buzzard or coyote food. Sorry of the long answer, but i did want to answer your question.

Well thought out stance you have Hydrilla. Thanks for the answer.

I was more or less playing the Devil's Advocate with the question anyway.

-Albert Einstein
Ringneck
hunter

Postby bioman911 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:00 pm

I thank everyone for their thoughts on this subject and as someone said there is a demand for this type of hunting and I respect the concerns and the personal ideas, But as one person said there are thousands of these hunts out there so many people do like this style of duck hunting, If anyone don't want to come hunt hunt don't come if you wish to come we would love to have you. All I can say is God bless all of you and happy hunting.
bioman911
hunter

Return to Georgia Duck Hunting