Duck Hunting Forum banner

LAKE SEMINOLE

3K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  GADKHNTR 
#1 ·
My buddies and I have planned a trip to Seminole for January. This will be the first time any of us have hunted down there. We are staying at Wingate's Lodge. Anyone got any advice? Where to go? Thanks.

#2 ·
With seminole scouting is the key. Ride and look for the big rafts of coots. Try and stay back from them at first use a spoting scope or a good pair of binoculars and look for the ducks in the big raft of coots. Watch what they're doing and try to find possible set up places around them. If you can't find the ducks with optics you can run the boot through them. The coots will stay low to the water and will not move far while the ducks will get up and take off. Don't worry about ruining your hunting because in most cases they will return sometimes as soon as ten minutes later. Some people even do this in the middle of the day and quickly set up and wait on them to return. Ya'll will need to have 3 to 5 dozen coots and only about a dozen duck decoys. ( mixture of rignecks and Cans) The coots arevery important along with scouting. If the wind gets up 20+ mph go to the back water holes. Also from Wingates you are not far from the waterfowl inpondment. It's is a good place to be near if hunting pressure is high. You can look up Steven Wells while at Wingates. He's a guide down there and will take you and if your lucky may even give some free advice. Hope this helps, Good Luck!

#3 ·
With seminole scouting is the key. Ride and look for the big rafts of coots. Try and stay back from them at first use a spoting scope or a good pair of binoculars and look for the ducks in the big raft of coots. Watch what they're doing and try to find possible set up places around them. If you can't find the ducks with optics you can run the boot through them. The coots will stay low to the water and will not move far while the ducks will get up and take off. Don't worry about ruining your hunting because in most cases they will return sometimes as soon as ten minutes later. Some people even do this in the middle of the day and quickly set up and wait on them to return. Ya'll will need to have 3 to 5 dozen coots and only about a dozen duck decoys. ( mixture of rignecks and Cans) The coots arevery important along with scouting. If the wind gets up 20+ mph go to the back water holes. Also from Wingates you are not far from the waterfowl inpondment. It's is a good place to be near if hunting pressure is high. You can look up Steven Wells while at Wingates. He's a guide down there and will take you and if your lucky may even give some free advice. Hope this helps, Good Luck!

#5 ·
I agree with audrewsky about scouting being the key. Also, if I might add getting there as ealry in the morning as possible the morning of your hunt is also the key. Many hunters scout the Lake and find the same holes that others find. So if you want to ensure that you get the spot you scouted I advise you to rise early....we went out there this past Friday night and actually slept in our boats to make sure we staked our claim on the place we had scouted for the opening morning and it really paid off. Between the three of us we took our limit on ringnecks, bull cans, and woodies. Some hunters will try and get within fifty yards of where you are set up...we had a late riser do this (came out right before sunrise), threw out a dozen mallard decoys, and blowing hale calls all morning long :thumbsdown: ...must have been a first timer, so I do not think he has been taught the etiquette of hunting public water!! So be prepared to deal with that as well....high hunting pressure and limited honey holes makes for poor hunts! So scout hard and rise early!! :thumbsup:
Anybody else have any luck opening day at Seminole? What about Spring Creek area?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.