a few questions

For those who enjoy duck hunting in Georgia this is the place to discuss everything from Georgia duck hunting outfitters to hunting pintails, mallards and canvasbacks on lake Seminole.

Moderators: Dep6, Remman, caleb

a few questions

Postby sprtslvr1973 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:14 am

Hi,

I love upland hunting (namely dove) and would like to try goose or duck this year. As I am definitely not a night owl, and not inclined to get up and drive somewhere at 230 in the morning, what is the latest you could recommend getting to a place, and still getting a decent place (not only do I not need the best spot on a lake, right now I don't want it as I believe it should go to a more experienced hunter, better able to make use of it).

If anyone would like to show me the ropes with waterfowling, I would happy to pay, either in cash or by paying for some of the shells, etc.
sprtslvr1973
hunter

Re: a few questions

Postby jaker » Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:52 pm

No offense bud, but stay at home. Duck hunting is an expensive lifestyle, and you won't be getting much sleep. Those of us who are serious about the sport despise hunters who show up right before shooting light, because it inevitably leads to them setting up on top of you. I typically get to the ramp 3hrs or more before daylight, unless it's a place that is not going to be crowded.
2009 - 2010 (My boat)

Bw Teal- 7
jaker
hunter

Postby hamer174 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:27 pm

I'm with Jaker, I have slept on a boat at 3 and 4 in the morning and stood in a swamp a couple hours before daylight just to kill a few woodies here and maybe a gad, or mallard there to many times to count. Its tough, cold, wet, and will wear you slam out but it worth every minute of it to me. If your willing to put in the time and effort im sure someone will take you, but coming out saying your not getting up early and stuff doesn't look to good. Jake you from Waverly Hall not to bad of a drive from me Im in LaGrange
hamer174
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:16 am

have to agree with the other 2 guys first it is expensive and very time consuming. a few decoys and and old shotgun will get you going but then you want more decoys, then a boat, then a new shotgun, and all of that builds from there to more decoys, to a more expensive fancy shotgun to a boat with a mudmotor and lights and the last thing is the dog the most expensive investment you will make. i skipped the gun and boat and went for the decoys and and dog. then

then there is the time if you think scouting and getting gear ready takes time. wait till you get a dog. i spend alot of time even in the off season getting up early to scout places almost everyday training the dog then when i have free time working on gear.

i have well over 5 grand in my training and training equipment for my dog. that doesnt include vet visits, food and all the other stuff. and she is 19 months old is im still a little worried she is not fully ready to hunt (i want her fully finished before i hunt her alot) that means picking up multiple marks with little trouble, do blind retrieves on land and water and be calm in a blind.
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby jaker » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:06 pm

hamer174 wrote:I'm with Jaker, I have slept on a boat at 3 and 4 in the morning and stood in a swamp a couple hours before daylight just to kill a few woodies here and maybe a gad, or mallard there to many times to count. Its tough, cold, wet, and will wear you slam out but it worth every minute of it to me. If your willing to put in the time and effort im sure someone will take you, but coming out saying your not getting up early and stuff doesn't look to good. Jake you from Waverly Hall not to bad of a drive from me Im in LaGrange

I actually live in Birmingham now, just haven't gotten around to changing it. I think I remember you from other forums if I'm not mistaken
2009 - 2010 (My boat)

Bw Teal- 7
jaker
hunter

Postby sprtslvr1973 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:12 pm

Sorry for the delay. Well, if nothing else, I have to appreciate everyone's honesty. I guess I will stick to dove and quail hunting. Please forgive me for asking what might seem like a silly question, but do the same rules effectively apply to goose hunting?
sprtslvr1973
hunter

Postby Dep6 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:33 am

If and I say If you can pattern them when they land into a field of say wheat, then that is usually the time, give or take a few minutes, that they will show up to feed. I wouldn't say you need to be there 3-4 hours before hand but in time to set up any decoys you are going to use, blind, etc. Does that answer ya okay?
Saving the Poodles of America, one Alligator at a time!!
Dep6
Site Admin

Postby copperheadmike » Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:12 pm

I agree with all on the duck hunting, though if you can find a spot on private land (where you dont have to beat the crowds to the spot) you can get in an hour before shooting time and have plenty of time to get set up. Goose hunting is the same as duck hunting if trying to shoot public land. The good thing about geese is that the best places to hunt are ag fields. Get up early, jump in the truck, get coffee and a biscuit and head out to the local farms. Geese will come feed in anything, hay meadows, wheat, corn, peanuts, doesn't matter. What matters is finding a flock of birds. Drive around and glass the local fields til you find some birds. Come back earlier the next morning and sit there until they show, make note of the time. Then you have to find out who owns the land and hope to God they will let you shoot it. If they do, you know around what time the birds will show, get out there at least an hour earlier and set up your spread. Hide your butt really well, and wait for the birds. Unless you know what you are doing with a call, less is more. Let the decoys do their job. The best thing to do, is to locate and work multiple flocks of geese. This way you will have options if one is not working out the way you want. With all that said, I have yet to shoot a single goose in this God forsaken state. I have, however, shot hundreds out West. Oh and if you are looking for a cheap layout blind to get started, check out the Goosebuster LP on Rogers Sporting Goods. Just got one myself and am pretty happy with it.
copperheadmike
Newb

Return to Georgia Duck Hunting