Duck Hunting Forum banner

Lake Seminole

3K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  c0305 
#1 ·
Headin down to seminole on new years day. Any one been lately and if so how many birds are you seeing.

#8 ·
75 % of the birds we've shot this year has been over less than 8 deke's but we have also used upwards to 7 dozen and killed birds. You just gotta be in the right place. I could have shot a few can's yesterday but passed, I only wanted to shoot drakes and really wasn't hunting for can's.

But there are no birds on Seminole only skybusters with way too many mallard calls.... :thumbsdown:

#10 ·
I agree w/seminole_sigmanu about the sky busting. Very frustrating. Maybe they should limit the amount of rounds in posession on that lake. That would help reduce the sky busting.

I just returned from almost a week of hunting there and didn't get much. I had a great time, but was surrounded by "sky busters" nearly every time. It didn't seem to matter where I was.
We even had four guys in a fourteen ft jon doing the old "stealth sneakem up" across from our blind. They first tried with their trolling motor but kept getting weeded up. After a few attempts they began paddling there way in on some swimming ducks with one guy laying on the bow in the prone shooting position. When the ducks jumped they all stood up and emptied their guns. I'm still trying to figure out how that guy on the bow is still alive. NOW THAT WAS WORTH WATCHING, HA HA HA.

pat

#13 ·
Believe me everyone on Seminole is a Olympic Distance Skeet Shooter in training.

A missed shot at 85 yards is explained by "They were decoying".

:pissed: :thumbsdown: Ahhhhh, no!

Most can't even hit the large flocks of commorants (aka Atlanta Mallards) they are shooting at. "Which are not to be shot at"

#14 ·
Ya know, I'm just not sure. I always thought you would have to be under power, which the elctric motor would have been considered under power, to be running and gunning. Once they went to rowing, hmmmmmm, you got me by the sneakers.

Does anyone out there know?

#16 ·
Well, what about skull boats????

And I've seen a guy that hunts the open water from a kayak...paddles up to the rafts and shoots as the get up, which also just happens to get the birds up and moving for the man in the layout boat nearby. Loophole? Or illegal?

#17 ·
As long as it is hand powered IE paddling such as scull boat, you can. Nothing powered by any sort of mechanical means, trolling motor or boat motor.

#18 ·
That was my understanding of the law Dep.
However, last year I put my brother on a sandbar. He shot a duck and it crippled. I drove to where it last dove. I shut the motor off and sat there for several minutes waiting on it in the choppy water. DNR gets done checking someone else then comes over and asks what I'm doing. I said waiting on the duck to come back up to finish. Motor was off and out of the water and had been for a few minutes. He said that I couldn't do that because the wind was blowing me and I was under wind power, which is the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

#19 ·
GADKHNTR said:
That was my understanding of the law Dep.
However, last year I put my brother on a sandbar. He shot a duck and it crippled. I drove to where it last dove. I shut the motor off and sat there for several minutes waiting on it in the choppy water. DNR gets done checking someone else then comes over and asks what I'm doing. I said waiting on the duck to come back up to finish. Motor was off and out of the water and had been for a few minutes. He said that I couldn't do that because the wind was blowing me and I was under wind power, which is the stupidest thing I've ever heard.
Thats the stupidest thing I have ever heard of too. Most Game Wardens are great guys with plenty of common sense and then others are complete idiots. It just makes sense that the game warden would want all wounded birds to be recovered and if wind constitutes power I may never be able to hunt from my boat again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.