Augusta/Ft Gordon

For those who enjoy duck hunting in Georgia this is the place to discuss everything from Georgia duck hunting outfitters to hunting pintails, mallards and canvasbacks on lake Seminole.

Moderators: Dep6, Remman, caleb

Augusta/Ft Gordon

Postby Randal0612 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:25 am

Hey guys..just moved to Evans from Ft Hood..so i jumped state forums to introduce myself. Been in the Army 13 years now and been duck hunting for about 10 years as much as my job permits. Looking to get out this season..trying to do some scouting but not seeing many birds yet..seems like alot of local geese but thats about it. I love to hunt and drink beer and always looking for new hunting partners...hit me up if anyone is interested...good luck

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Randal0612
hunter

Re: Augusta/Ft Gordon

Postby Dep6 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:58 am

Welcome to the GA Forum :welcome: , don't know much about the territory over that way, lots of local flocks of geese in GA now and they seem to be growing, worst thing DNR ever did here was introduce them in the state back in the 80's, now they consider them pests, go figger. Good luck in the coming season.

Dep
Saving the Poodles of America, one Alligator at a time!!
Dep6
Site Admin

Postby hydrilla » Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:49 pm

Randal0612 wrote:Hey guys..just moved to Evans from Ft Hood..so i jumped state forums to introduce myself. Been in the Army 13 years now and been duck hunting for about 10 years as much as my job permits. Looking to get out this season..trying to do some scouting but not seeing many birds yet..seems like alot of local geese but thats about it. I love to hunt and drink beer and always looking for new hunting partners...hit me up if anyone is interested...good luck

Overall Georgia is going to provide you with far fewer opportunities that Texas. You aren't going to ride around and see ponds full of pintails and fields full of snows and specks like you do in parts of Texas. There aren't near the numbers here. The vast majority of the ducks killed in Georgia are wood ducks. The fort should provide you with some opportunities at them if you hunt there, along with an occasional shot at a mallard, gadwall, or ringneck. If you are looking for opportunities outside of the fort, shoot me a PM and I can give you some info. Sorry to inform you of this, but Texas to Georgia is a major step down in the world of water fowling.
hydrilla
hunter

Postby Dep6 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:31 am

Hydrilla I was born and raised here and until I made a trip to Nodak years back I thought that we didn't have it too awful bad here but you right, we the tail end of the totem pole, GA seems to get bypassed by the birds.
Saving the Poodles of America, one Alligator at a time!!
Dep6
Site Admin

Postby hydrilla » Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:57 pm

Dep6 wrote:Hydrilla I was born and raised here and until I made a trip to Nodak years back I thought that we didn't have it too awful bad here but you right, we the tail end of the totem pole, GA seems to get bypassed by the birds.

Georgia just doesn't have the food other states have, and therefore doesn't see the birds many other states do. Until you hunt in another state in a true flyway, you just can't comprehended the difference.
hydrilla
hunter

Postby Randal0612 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:35 am

Hey I appreciate the feedback guys...I knew moving here the bird populations would not be the same as I was hunting in Texas...although I hear good things about the Woodies here..I have never killed one so that would be a first...we dont get them in Central Texas where I was hunting...we had mostly pintail, gadwall, and teal, so this will be a little change. I have seen more Canadians than I expected to see here..but most seem to be local birds around the small ponds where I live. I plan on hunting gordon, there is just so many small ponds and water that its hard to pinpoint the honey holes. Hydrilla I will shoot you a pm..i have a few questions

Randal0612
hunter

Postby Yaya123 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:14 pm

There are a lot of good places to hunt on Fort Gordon. I duck hunt out there every year. I will be out the this sat hunting.
Yaya123
Newb

Return to Georgia Duck Hunting