Over hunt a spot

For those who enjoy duck hunting in Georgia this is the place to discuss everything from Georgia duck hunting outfitters to hunting pintails, mallards and canvasbacks on lake Seminole.

Moderators: Dep6, Remman, caleb

Over hunt a spot

Postby Southgaduckhunter » Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:00 pm

We have a spot we like to hunt wood ducks, i was wondering if it can be over hunted? We only go there about every other sat. Fairly new to duck hunting and have a few questions and would like to learn more about hunting wood ducks and getting more to come in.
Southgaduckhunter
hunter

Re: Over hunt a spot

Postby Rhock19 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:06 pm

good luck lol. wood ducks are a tough bird to decoy. Usually you can scratch a few but its hard to shoot only decoying woodies for a limit. Seems like they find their mate and stick with them. Does your spot get mallards later in the year?
Rhock19
hunter

Postby Southgaduckhunter » Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:17 pm

This is the first yr at this particular spot so not sure what we will see. So far only woodies but we are seeing a good number of them
Southgaduckhunter
hunter

Postby bbbb » Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:38 pm

Some ponds continue to get new birds every week, and hunting them every other Saturday would be no problem.

Some ponds mainly only have resident birds and can be shot out with one shoot.

We hunt public property with 7-8 ponds, so we shoot one pond, and then next week scout and shoot another pond. We might hunt the same pond twice in a year. One of the ponds is used as a flyway to get to the other ponds, so if we can't scout ahead of time, we'll hunt there and pass shoot woodies at 30 yards.

About the only way to keep birds in a pond is to have food in it and not hunt it too much.
bbbb
hunter

Postby Southgaduckhunter » Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:04 pm

Thanks, we are in a swampy area not to big. Close to a pretty big creek. We have been feeding corn and letting it sit for a few wks before nxt shoot. First shoot saw prob 12 then following time at least double that number.
Southgaduckhunter
hunter

Postby steelshotslayer » Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:09 pm

Be careful with putting out corn during the season. By law you have to wait 2 weeks after the last piece of corn is out of the water. As for over shooting it if you stick to one every other week I think you should be fine. Maybe try to find a couple more places and rotate it to once a month that would be prime actually. FYI if the place is yours install a water control system after the season drop the water level plant the dry spots in spring dump corn and molasses in what water is left and flood it come fall. You'll be amazed at just how many birds in GA there are.
Every day thousands of innocent plants are killed. Help stem the violence. Eat ducks
steelshotslayer
hunter

Postby hydrilla » Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:20 pm

Southgaduckhunter wrote:We have a spot we like to hunt wood ducks, i was wondering if it can be over hunted? We only go there about every other sat. Fairly new to duck hunting and have a few questions and would like to learn more about hunting wood ducks and getting more to come in.

Yes, you can over hunt a spot. How often you can hunt it depends on how many ducks fly through the area, how big the spot is, how much food you have, etc..... A spot near a large lake or a river will usually replenish faster than a spot that is isolated because there are typically more birds in the general area. If you are getting any ducks at all in your area, then hunting the spot once every two weeks should give it plenty of time to replenish. If you are in an area with some ducks, you can get by hunting it once a week. Again it all depends on your situation. As has already been mentioned, wood ducks typically know where they are headed, and it can be tough to bring in ducks flying by intent on heading somewhere else. With that being said, if I were you I would (and the purists on here aren't going to like this, but oh well) buy a MOJO teal. Don't get the full mallard or the wood duck, but get the teal. Buy a piece of 6 foot long, inch square tubing at Lowes, so you can put it in deeper water, and use it for you decoy. If they are just flying by it won't do a whole lot, but if they are coming to you swamp it will likely help you get a little closer look.
hydrilla
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:26 am

hydrilla wrote:
Southgaduckhunter wrote:We have a spot we like to hunt wood ducks, i was wondering if it can be over hunted? We only go there about every other sat. Fairly new to duck hunting and have a few questions and would like to learn more about hunting wood ducks and getting more to come in.

Yes, you can over hunt a spot. How often you can hunt it depends on how many ducks fly through the area, how big the spot is, how much food you have, etc..... A spot near a large lake or a river will usually replenish faster than a spot that is isolated because there are typically more birds in the general area. If you are getting any ducks at all in your area, then hunting the spot once every two weeks should give it plenty of time to replenish. If you are in an area with some ducks, you can get by hunting it once a week. Again it all depends on your situation. As has already been mentioned, wood ducks typically know where they are headed, and it can be tough to bring in ducks flying by intent on heading somewhere else. With that being said, if I were you I would (and the purists on here aren't going to like this, but oh well) buy a MOJO teal. Don't get the full mallard or the wood duck, but get the teal. Buy a piece of 6 foot long, inch square tubing at Lowes, so you can put it in deeper water, and use it for you decoy. If they are just flying by it won't do a whole lot, but if they are coming to you swamp it will likely help you get a little closer look.

im going to agree and disagree with hydrilla on the mojo if you have alot of birds flying over i would try the mojo but watch what the birds do. if they normally fly right over the hole but when you put the mojo out they start swinging wide pull the mojo after the 2nd group you see. really what im saying is dont get stuck setting up the same spread every time you go to a hole. change it up make it look different and if something doesnt work for the first couple of groups dont be afraid to change something and see what happens.
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby flyfisher76544 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:19 am

Every other Saturday should be fine.
Hunt where the ducks want to be, not where you want the ducks to be
flyfisher76544
hunter

Postby SouthernWingsAssaultTeam » Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:23 pm

Keep in mind if something occurs twice its a pattern. Mojos are good in some situations but alot of times I'm scared to use them unless it's during the first week of season. I've had ducks flare like they got shot at when they've seen a mojo. Ducks get patterned so try to stay versital in every way possible calling , decoys , concealment. As others have answered it depends on how big and how many birds you have before your pond gets over pressured. I have a pond that will hold a good amount of birds it's about 40 acres , I usually wait on the mallards to show to hunt it. But if they don't then we will hunt it once a month. But we r in the stages of really trying to bring the place up. One thing that will hurt u more than anything is hunting it in the evening when they are flying out to roost.
Rodney Hill
Echo championship calls prostaff
Avian X Fieldstaff
SouthernWingsAssaultTeam
hunter

Return to Georgia Duck Hunting