Sort of New to hunting... need a little advice

For those who enjoy duck hunting in Georgia this is the place to discuss everything from Georgia duck hunting outfitters to hunting pintails, mallards and canvasbacks on lake Seminole.

Moderators: Dep6, Remman, caleb

Sort of New to hunting... need a little advice

Postby waterfowlmojo » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:21 pm

Hey whats going on everyone, I'm Zach, I'm from athens, ga and have ducked hunted off and on for the past 2-3 years. I'm looking to get serious about waterfowl hunting. Meaning I'm want to start hunting on my own. Just seeing if anyone can give me tips on great places to hunt locally and statewide. I've got waders, a mossberg 835 12 guage, and a couple calls, but I dont have decoys. Any recommendations on a set of decoys to purchase, along with any other recommended duck hunting gear? I've got an 8ft boat with a trolling motor as well.

Ive hunted the redlands WMA off hwy 15 several times and a couple places in the oconee national forest area with a couple buddies of mine. But I'm still overall new to the sport and any advice, opinions or comments would be much appreciated! Feel free to PM me.
waterfowlmojo
Newb

Re: Sort of New to hunting... need a little advice

Postby Ga ducker » Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:11 pm

Don't cheap out on decoys. Get the best ones you possibly can. Avian X, GHG, Dakota are some good brands. Practice your calling, do a lot of scouting, and just have fun!
Ga ducker
hunter

Postby steelshotslayer » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:21 pm

Ga ducker wrote:Don't cheap out on decoys. Get the best ones you possibly can. Avian X, GHG, Dakota are some good brands. Practice your calling, do a lot of scouting, and just have fun!

X2 The BIGGEST thing about duck hunting DONT BE CHEAP.
Every day thousands of innocent plants are killed. Help stem the violence. Eat ducks
steelshotslayer
hunter

Postby Dep6 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:31 am

Agree x3!!
Saving the Poodles of America, one Alligator at a time!!
Dep6
Site Admin

Postby hydrilla » Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:25 pm

waterfowlmojo wrote:Hey whats going on everyone, I'm Zach, I'm from athens, ga and have ducked hunted off and on for the past 2-3 years. I'm looking to get serious about waterfowl hunting. Meaning I'm want to start hunting on my own. Just seeing if anyone can give me tips on great places to hunt locally and statewide. I've got waders, a mossberg 835 12 guage, and a couple calls, but I dont have decoys. Any recommendations on a set of decoys to purchase, along with any other recommended duck hunting gear? I've got an 8ft boat with a trolling motor as well.

Ive hunted the redlands WMA off hwy 15 several times and a couple places in the oconee national forest area with a couple buddies of mine. But I'm still overall new to the sport and any advice, opinions or comments would be much appreciated! Feel free to PM me.

First off, there are no great places to duck hunt in Georgia, at least on public land, and if anyone knows of a great place they aren't going to tell anyone else about it. That doesn't mean however, that you can't kill ducks here in good ol' GA. I don't personally think at this point you would need to spend a whole lot of money on or time worrying about decoys or even calling. 99% of killing birds in Georgia is being where they want to be. Spend time scouting and find the spot the birds want to be, and you can kill plenty of ducks without even having decoys. I'm not that familiar with the area you are hunting (I have hunted the lake a few times), but it sounds primarily like wood duck country. You aren't going to need much in the way of decoys to hunt creeks and beaver ponds. Some people prefer wood ducks decoys, I personally have never owned one. If you are in a situation where you need a decoy,a mallard decoy will suffice for wood ducks. I wouldn't think you would be hunting anywhere at this point that you would really need more than a half dozen, so buy six mallards and use them if needed. With an 8 foot boat and a trolling motor, I wouldn't think you would be hunting a lot of open water, but if you have access to some portions of the lake, you could invest in a half dozen ringneck decoys. With a half dozen ringnecks, a half dozen mallards, and a lot of scouting you should be able to kill ducks. All far as calling goes, it is a mostly a waste of time in Georgia as far as ducks go. I'm not saying I have never called in a duck in Georgia, but this isn't a flyway and the duck you see is probably flying to a spot he wants to be in, not just arriving from out of state or trying to find a spot to land in thousands of acres of flooded timber. Hail calling at woodducks, ringnecks, and hooded mergansers is fruitless, so most of the time you are better off leaving the call in your pocket. Again, spend time scouting, find the birds, and go back and kill them in that spot. That is how you kill ducks in Georgia.
hydrilla
hunter

Return to Georgia Duck Hunting