Anybody having any luck?

For those who enjoy duck hunting in Georgia this is the place to discuss everything from Georgia duck hunting outfitters to hunting pintails, mallards and canvasbacks on lake Seminole.

Moderators: Dep6, Remman, caleb

Anybody having any luck?

Postby Randal0612 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:40 pm

Just curious how everyone was doing after this cold front...went out this morning and killed a Scaup which was a first for me...but suprised that numbers are getting worse..it doesnt seem to matter what the weather is..atleast where i am hunting...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Randal0612
hunter

Re: Anybody having any luck?

Postby hydrilla » Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:56 pm

Welcome to Georgia. There just aren't that many ducks flying through and public land makes it even tougher. What you are experiencing is any different than what everyone else here has experienced here for years. Even the ducks that are going to be on the lake are often isolated to a couple spots, so one group may hammer them in one spot and you are sitting down the lake a little ways and don't see anything. If you are scratching down a duck or two on public land each time you go, you are actually doing pretty doggone good.
hydrilla
hunter

Postby Randal0612 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:12 pm

Yeah thats what I figured..I havent been shut out yet so thats a plus...shot a Scaup today which is a first for me so it was worth the wakeup...seems the hunters are thinning out as we near the end of the season too...the lake is about 5 ft higher than it was opening day...there is just to much water..and I just dont have the work schedule to devote more time scouting..it is what it is...beats working..lol

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Randal0612
hunter

Postby Dep6 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:27 am

Bad day duck hunting is still better than a day at work. Killed a few wood ducks but that is it.
Saving the Poodles of America, one Alligator at a time!!
Dep6
Site Admin

Postby Hbnel5on » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:51 am

ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Ladies this is Georgia not Arkansas where they have billions of migrators. Key is to let your holes rest up. Then when they fill back up kill ducks. Unless you're on public. Then you're SOL

Some coot stole my fone.
OHIODUCKA5 wrote:Hookers and blow.
Hbnel5on
hunter

Postby hydrilla » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:46 pm

Hbnel5on wrote:Ladies this is Georgia not Arkansas where they have billions of migrators. Key is to let your holes rest up. Then when they fill back up kill ducks. Unless you're on public. Then you're SOL

The original poster is hunting public land, so he doesn't have the option to rest his spot. Thus his frustration.

On a side note, are you planting, hunting vegetation, going to moist soil route, or a combination of all of the above at different holes. I have historically planted corn. In my experience it has yielded primarily woodies and ringnecks with a mallard here and there and an other species every once in a while. Your variety would indicate you are going a different route. I have contemplated the moist soil route just based on time and money, but I don't know of anyone in Georgia that does it. The guys I know in the flyway that do it, typically do some planting just in case. Just curious what you guys were doing.
hydrilla
hunter

Postby Hbnel5on » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:53 pm

Hydrilla... Believe it or not your name is key!! Our hole holds hydrilla, milfoil, and other aqueous grasses year round.. It's a huge privately owned pond. Where we kill the reds, ringers, gaddies and wigeons. Occasionally a mallard. We have a flooded field just off of the coosa river that's is planted in smart weed, millet, and soy beans where we kill the mallards, some gaddies, woodies and one lonely wigeon.

Some coot stole my fone.
Hbnel5on
hunter

Postby Hbnel5on » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:58 pm

Other than that, spots on the river, other fields when it breaks the banks, and the ole reliable beaver swamp woodie hole

Some coot stole my fone.
Hbnel5on
hunter

Postby hydrilla » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:13 pm

Hbnel5on wrote:Other than that, spots on the river, other fields when it breaks the banks, and the ole reliable beaver swamp woodie hole

Some coot stole my fone.

I figured based on the birds you were killing that you were hunting some kind of natural vegetation. I have had pretty good luck planting over the years, but I have reached a time period in my life where my time is extremely limited. I typically save my vacation and kitchen passes to go west, and there aren't that many weekends here that I don't have some obligation or the kids competition to go to. Spending time and money to plant a place you are only going to hunt three or four Saturday mornings doesn't make sense when you can typically knock down three woodies in the beaver pond hole like you said. I had thought about trying the moist soil route next year, but I haven't talked to anyone around here who has done it. I would like to keep the spot full year round and plant banana water lillies in it, but it doesn't always hold water year round. It is funny you said that about the hydrilla. I have a friend that has a fairly large pond full of it, but honestly I don't think I have ever been to it and killed anything other than ring necks and woodrows on it. I think he occasionally kills something different, but not often. I guess it all depends on where you are located.
hydrilla
hunter

Postby Hbnel5on » Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:27 am

Well the hydrilla really thrives deeper than say milfoil or coo tails, so naturally it takes to the deeper water hence the ringers then there's the shallower grasses that produce the gaddies wigeon and reds. Now to the moist soil route... That is what we did with our planted field. There's a dyke and pump system that we pull water from the river up to the field. We drain it during the summer then plant it and once the plants reach a certain height we flood it. The the smart weed is just broadcasted at random and grows later in the year

Some coot stole my fone.
Hbnel5on
hunter

Return to Georgia Duck Hunting