Hunting north Georgia?

For those who enjoy duck hunting in Georgia this is the place to discuss everything from Georgia duck hunting outfitters to hunting pintails, mallards and canvasbacks on lake Seminole.

Moderators: Dep6, Remman, caleb

Hunting north Georgia?

Postby Dirtroadkid89 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:44 am

Hey guys, I'm moving to GA to be stationed at fort benning. I have a bird dog in training and have heard mixed answers on the amount of waterfowl in the south. I am an avid hunter and have no issue traveling a little in state. That being said, would I need to drive to the northern part of Georgia to see ducks/geese.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
Dirtroadkid89
hunter
 
Posts: 32
Joined: Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:22 pm


Re: Hunting north Georgia?

Postby Dirtroadkid89 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:01 pm

Also is there a lot of corn field huntin with layout blinds or am I best fit to build a blind on a body of water?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
Dirtroadkid89
hunter
 
Posts: 32
Joined: Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:22 pm

Re: Hunting north Georgia?

Postby Duckslayer26 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:54 pm

Dirtroadkid89 wrote:Also is there a lot of corn field huntin with layout blinds or am I best fit to build a blind on a body of water?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk


If you can find a field that there flyin into then ya but I mostly see geese on water. Small ponds, big lakes and ect.... It all depends on the migration and how well you scout. Birds do come through but nothing like Northwen AL, MS, and anywhere else really. I dont have a boat so it sucks scouting for me but i get my ass out there walk miles among miles among miles to find spots.
Whack em & stack em!
Duckslayer26
hunter
 
Posts: 927
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:13 pm
Location: Roswell, Ga

Re: Hunting north Georgia?

Postby Dep6 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:38 pm

Scouting is the key for sure. But also when training your dog in water around Ft. Benning, we have ALLIGATORS here, scout and watch your waters used for training. I would not recommend a dog on a long retrieve unless the temps have been in the low 30's and 20's and even then I would go part way out with the dog if possible watching the water around me.


:welcome: to GA!!
Saving the Poodles of America, one Alligator at a time!!
User avatar
Dep6
Site Admin
 
Posts: 6546
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:17 pm
Location: GA

Re: Hunting north Georgia?

Postby hydrilla » Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:16 pm

Dirtroadkid89 wrote:Hey guys, I'm moving to GA to be stationed at fort benning. I have a bird dog in training and have heard mixed answers on the amount of waterfowl in the south. I am an avid hunter and have no issue traveling a little in state. That being said, would I need to drive to the northern part of Georgia to see ducks/geese.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk



No where in Georgia is going to be a hotspot unless you have access to a prime piece of land that only gets hunted once a week. Georgia isn't a situation like Mississippi where one portion (the delta) has all the ducks. You aren't going to ride around anywhere in Georgia and see something like you would see in the states West of here. The primary duck killed in Georgia is the wood duck, and you can find them anywhere in the state. Any creek, river, or beaver pond any where in Georgia is likely to hold some wood ducks if it has some food around in and around it. If you don't have a boat, wood ducks will be your best option. Everything else is pretty relative to the habitat, and what you have access to. There are plenty of resident geese in South Georgia that can be killed in September on cut corn fields or all year in hay fields and golf courses if you can find a farmer or a golf pro that will let you hunt. I'm not sure where you are coming from, but it is doubtful that the duck hunting there is as poor overall as it is in Georgia. I would drive 8 hours to the Mississippi flyway to hunt any day of the week, before I spent 4 to 5 hours driving to hunt anywhere in Georgia. If you don't mind shooting divers and teal I would drive south to Florida before I headed to North Georgia to hunt.
hydrilla
hunter
 
Posts: 115
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:52 pm

Re: Hunting north Georgia?

Postby jstewart_1981 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:10 pm

I hunt in N GA and hunt a lot. I havent read others posts but so if I duplicate something already said Im not surprised. With that being said Ill give you some ideas that may help you be successful. The only birds you may kill with consistency is woodies, mallards and geese. We kill more geese than anything. Mainly because, you can shoot them in fields too.

For private land...
What I would do if I was you is locate some farm ponds. .5 acres to bigger. Talk with the owners and see if they will let you hunt them. Even if no birds are there chances are some geese or mallards are visiting. Maybe even a diver or 2. If you find birds there today no guarantee they will be there tomorrow. BUT, chances are better. Check green fields and cut corn fields for geese too. They will be there if they arent already.

Public land...
About any river you can shoot wood ducks any day. Larger lakes.. You can shoot geese consistently but ducks can be tough. Message me Ill give you a public lake in N Ga that we hunt some that we have had great success, mainly when it floods.
User avatar
jstewart_1981
hunter
 
Posts: 322
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:30 pm
Location: Calhoun,Georgia

Re: Hunting north Georgia?

Postby Dirtroadkid89 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:25 pm

Hey bud thanks for the help. And I am glad to hear that there are more geese than ducks because I prefer to hunt geese. Do you know of any public land for geese? Or someone on private land willing lease ?


Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
Dirtroadkid89
hunter
 
Posts: 32
Joined: Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:22 pm

Re: Hunting north Georgia?

Postby jstewart_1981 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:51 pm

Youre best bet for geese in my area (NW GA) is cut corn fields. Next maybe farm ponds in fields and cow pastures. All of the larger public lakes hold geese. You can pattern them and have success. Might decoy them in the afternoon and pass shoot in the am as they fly out if youre set up in the right area.
User avatar
jstewart_1981
hunter
 
Posts: 322
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:30 pm
Location: Calhoun,Georgia

Re: Hunting north Georgia?

Postby hydrilla » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:31 pm

Dirtroadkid89 wrote:Hey bud thanks for the help. And I am glad to hear that there are more geese than ducks because I prefer to hunt geese. Do you know of any public land for geese? Or someone on private land willing lease ?


Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk



If you prefer goose hunting, you should be in pretty good shape. There are plenty of resident canada geese around. I have never hunted fort stewart, but I would think it would hold enough ponds on it that there would be a goose or two. This summer ride west of Fort Stewart and look for corn fields and cow pastures or hay fields with ponds in them. Early goose season will come in early September, and the cut corn fields will be where the birds are at. Try to make some contacts if possible. Go back in September when they are cutting the corn and find the birds. When you are planning to approach someone wear something to indicate you are military. People will be more likely to give you permission if you explain you are from out of state and stationed at stewart than they would some local redneck they think will never leave there place alone. If you have access to a boat, I'm sure you can find some birds on the river, but you will have more luck if you can secure some private land to hunt from a couple of farmers in the area.
hydrilla
hunter
 
Posts: 115
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:52 pm

Re: Hunting north Georgia?

Postby Dirtroadkid89 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:54 pm

hydrilla wrote:
Dirtroadkid89 wrote:Hey bud thanks for the help. And I am glad to hear that there are more geese than ducks because I prefer to hunt geese. Do you know of any public land for geese? Or someone on private land willing lease ?


Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk



If you prefer goose hunting, you should be in pretty good shape. There are plenty of resident canada geese around. I have never hunted fort stewart, but I would think it would hold enough ponds on it that there would be a goose or two. This summer ride west of Fort Stewart and look for corn fields and cow pastures or hay fields with ponds in them. Early goose season will come in early September, and the cut corn fields will be where the birds are at. Try to make some contacts if possible. Go back in September when they are cutting the corn and find the birds. When you are planning to approach someone wear something to indicate you are military. People will be more likely to give you permission if you explain you are from out of state and stationed at stewart than they would some local redneck they think will never leave there place alone. If you have access to a boat, I'm sure you can find some birds on the river, but you will have more luck if you can secure some private land to hunt from a couple of farmers in the area.



Thanks hydrilla. I'm actually coming to ft benning tho. Is the farmland north of where I'll be at?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
Dirtroadkid89
hunter
 
Posts: 32
Joined: Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:22 pm

Re: Hunting north Georgia?

Postby hydrilla » Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:21 pm

[/quote]


Thanks hydrilla. I'm actually coming to ft benning tho. Is the farmland north of where I'll be at?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk[/quote]


Sorry man. I don't know why I was thinking Fort Stewart. Columbus sits on the fall line and it runs from there through Macon, and on to Augusta. This is the point up to which the ocean came at one point. Most of Georgia agriculture (outside of pine trees) occurs below the fall line, so it will be east/southeast of you. Pull up Google maps and look at it in satellite view. The farm land will look lighter than the forested land, so you can tell where most of the farming is at. You will even see some circles on the fields irrigated with pivots. Look at the Mississippi delta if you want something to compare to, and that will make it pretty obvious what you are looking for. That should give you some idea of where to start.
hydrilla
hunter
 
Posts: 115
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:52 pm

Re: Hunting north Georgia?

Postby Dep6 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:17 pm

Look south down toward Clay County and all close to Lake Eufaula and in that area, there is a huge flock on the south end of the lake that goes out to feed in local fields. PM if you need help or decoys.
Saving the Poodles of America, one Alligator at a time!!
User avatar
Dep6
Site Admin
 
Posts: 6546
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:17 pm
Location: GA


Return to Georgia Duck Hunting

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests