Dog training

For those who enjoy duck hunting in Georgia this is the place to discuss everything from Georgia duck hunting outfitters to hunting pintails, mallards and canvasbacks on lake Seminole.

Moderators: Dep6, Remman, caleb

Dog training

Postby Dirtroadkid89 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:01 am

Hey guys, I am looking for someone that trains bird dogs near columbus on the weekends and will allow me to train with him. I have my first bird dog "Duke" and would like to make sure I train him right. He is only 4 months old and I have not pushed training on him a but I do treat training once a day for 10 min. And he does great. I plan on introducing the lead in a month or so and am getting him an ecollar for once he gets the lead down. I think im on the right track but feel like it would only help make Duke that much better of a retriever if I train with someone who knows a lot more than me.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
Dirtroadkid89
hunter

Re: Dog training

Postby Dep6 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:09 am

Get you one of the training programs and stick with it if your going to do it yourself, that is the best I have picked up from the Dog Forum.
Saving the Poodles of America, one Alligator at a time!!
Dep6
Site Admin

Re: Dog training

Postby krazybronco2 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:55 am

there is a hunt test in SW ga that would be the best place to go and try and find someone or ask on the animal section on the GON forums. at 6 months will be the perfect time to be looking hard to find a trainer to train your dog or to meet up with once or twice a week to learn and also when your pup hits 6 months trainers wont be all over the place running test and gives you plenty of time to get the dog ready for duck season im talking force fetched collar conditioned and running simple doubles on land and water and maybe even started running a few short cold blinds.

Edit

here is the premium with the address for the hunt test. you can take your pup and walk around just make sure they are on a leash and quite and you need to me in very neutral colors (no white) if the pup starts acting up the judges may ask you to put him up. but they are fun to watch and talk to other dog people and also ask questions.
http://www.sowegahrc.com/uploads/2014_Spring_Premium.pdf
krazybronco2
hunter

Return to Georgia Duck Hunting