Moving back close to home

For those who enjoy duck hunting in Georgia this is the place to discuss everything from Georgia duck hunting outfitters to hunting pintails, mallards and canvasbacks on lake Seminole.

Moderators: Dep6, Remman, caleb

Moving back close to home

Postby woodiewagon20 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:18 am

Hey guys,

I'll be graduating from college in south GA here in the next couple of months and will be moving back closer to my home in northeast GA. I've been hunting consistently down here and haven't hunted areas back home the past four years. I am considering spots in South Carolina and western North Carolina. I am by no means trying to cyber scout. Just need suggestions. What about Lake Lanier, Lake Hartwell, or even Lake Keowee? I understand these public lakes are probably hit or miss, but I'm an avid hunter and get tired of hunting woodie holes sometimes (though I'm not above it). I would appreciate any advice yall have to offer.

woodiewagon
woodiewagon20
hunter

Re: Moving back close to home

Postby hydrilla » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:04 pm

woodiewagon20 wrote:Hey guys,

I'll be graduating from college in south GA here in the next couple of months and will be moving back closer to my home in northeast GA. I've been hunting consistently down here and haven't hunted areas back home the past four years. I am considering spots in South Carolina and western North Carolina. I am by no means trying to cyber scout. Just need suggestions. What about Lake Lanier, Lake Hartwell, or even Lake Keowee? I understand these public lakes are probably hit or miss, but I'm an avid hunter and get tired of hunting woodie holes sometimes (though I'm not above it). I would appreciate any advice yall have to offer.

woodiewagon

You could drive to West Mississippi, Louisiana, or Arkansas in the time than it would take you to drive to the part of North Carolina that holds any ducks. You would find more public land opportunities there than you will in North or South Carolina. If you have time and the means head west. There is a reason Georgians and South Carolinians go West to hunt and not east. Anything in Georgia and South Carolina, or Western North Carolina is going to be hit or miss and crowded. The best advice I can give you for hunting anything in that area is to scout a lot and try to work it out so you can hunt during the week so you can avoid the millions of yahoos out on Saturday and Sunday.
hydrilla
hunter

Re: Moving back close to home

Postby woodiewagon20 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:13 am

Thank you very much!
woodiewagon20
hunter

Return to Georgia Duck Hunting