Altamaha WMA Quota Hunt

For those who enjoy duck hunting in Georgia this is the place to discuss everything from Georgia duck hunting outfitters to hunting pintails, mallards and canvasbacks on lake Seminole.

Moderators: Dep6, Remman, caleb

Altamaha WMA Quota Hunt

Postby cbfd306 » Sun Dec 30, 2007 1:54 pm

went down and hunted buttler island sat for the quota hunt seen alot of birds but with all the people skybustin the birds would not work in or they would stay about 4 miles high but for the most part had a good hunt killed 2 gwt and 1 bwt first teal i have ever killed so i was happy seen a few big birds fly over but could not tell what they were they were so high think i seen one pintail about 5 min befor shooting time was roosted in the hole i got drawed for but like i said all in all a good day huntin
cbfd306
hunter

Postby Dep6 » Sun Dec 30, 2007 3:33 pm

What blind were yall in? Went over to Rhett's sunday AM and I tell ya the fog was thick as butter almost at times. Didn't see but 15-20 birds total and most of them when we came out.
Saving the Poodles of America, one Alligator at a time!!
Dep6
Site Admin

Postby cbfd306 » Sun Dec 30, 2007 4:46 pm

we were in blind 21 had alot more shoting down twards 25 or so on past us anyhow but if we would have set up farther back in our section we would have got more shots but it was our first time so we learned a littal about the area you was talkin about the fog we did not have any in on us sat morning it was cleat and hot plenty of skeeters but it was just nice to get away from town and hunt new water and get the chance to get somethin other than a woody
cbfd306
hunter

Postby Dep6 » Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:05 pm

I hear ya, congrats on the teal!! :thumbsup:
Dep6
Site Admin

Postby 23fish » Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:50 am

we were down there this weekend as well
we hunted blind 19
shot 1 woodie 3 gwt 1 bwt
skeeters were so bad - i think i might have west nile or some thing (jk)
we went to rhetts sat afternoon - scouting (the winch thing is a joke) ended up meeting some guys on the dock that hunt hogs on one of the islands and they took us to one of their honey holes.
tried it out sunday - had shots (on greenheads) but to no avail
all said - had a great time & would try again

free plug broughton island hog hunts these guys are the best
23fish
hunter

Postby Coach N » Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:28 pm

I am going on Jan 19. Did you all see any gators? I am still debating taking the dog. The lady on the phone said they had never lost one, but Dep 6 warned against them in another post and I am leaning toward leaving her at home. What kind of decoys do I need to invest in? And what are the restriction about hunting the other Islands?
Coach N
hunter

Postby cbfd306 » Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:20 am

are you goin on the quota hunt or just goin to the area hunting the other public islands if the quota hunt i did see some other hunters with dogs and i did not see any gators we used a doz gwt 6 ringers 6 mallards and a mojo seemed to work after everyone stoped skyblastin they wanted to work the decoys
cbfd306
hunter

Postby Coach N » Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:50 pm

We are on a quota hunt. I think I have decided not to hunt with the dog. I would be in deep if I came home without her. Any special calls I should try to learn?
Coach N
hunter

Postby Dep6 » Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:02 pm

I would put some white in my spread so it stands out, but the Blue bills ought to do that for ya. No special calling, I replied to ya PM.
Dep6
Site Admin

Postby cbfd306 » Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:27 am

yeah i would mix the decoys up some if you have a quiver mag and a mojo i would recomend that to add some movement to the spread but no special call i would recomend i got a teal call and learned it for that hunt but it did not help any i think it actually ran them off so i put it away im not the best caller but can call some but the guy next to me was real good with the mallard call and he would call some in with it another thing when you go when they drop you off at the area you will hunt dont stop at the first opening you come to go on back farther and it will open up more that is what happened to us we would have killed more if we would have been farther back in the area
cbfd306
hunter

Re: Altamaha WMA Quota Hunt

Postby browningboy84 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:27 pm

I got drawn for this saturday, opening day of the second season. I would appreciate tips on deke selection. also, I have 2 dogs. One is better on sight retrieving, the other insists on using her nose all the time. Also, I have mallard, gadwall, widgeon, blue bill, ringneck, and woodie dekes. What is the best mix of dekes. I do have access to a jerk string, and plan on using it. Any other tips for this saturday?
browningboy84
hunter

Postby The BB » Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:38 pm

Pack light and bring just enough decoys to get attention. Allot of the birds have been pushed out and it seems allot are just roosting in Butler this year and flying out at daylight. Good luck.
The BB
hunter

Postby Remman » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:57 pm

Blind 25 hehehehe :thumbsup: .... coach just give me a call, ditto to what BB said.
There is no such thing as a stranger,....... Just friends I haven't met!

"Failure isn't not knowing how to post a picture. Failure is doing it twice and then catching a wise attitude about it."....... Paul D
Remman
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Georgia Duck Hunting