mallards on seminole

For those who enjoy duck hunting in Georgia this is the place to discuss everything from Georgia duck hunting outfitters to hunting pintails, mallards and canvasbacks on lake Seminole.

Moderators: Dep6, Remman, caleb

mallards on seminole

Postby duckbkr » Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:42 pm

I was wanting to know if any of ya'll had seen the mallards that the guys were hunting sat afternoon in carls pass. I came off the flint to cut back to spring creek and there were some guys with at least a dozen mallards brand new looking almost in the little channel. They were set up in a big boat blind in the grass and smoking a cigar it was also after shooting light I had allready picked up my decoys and made it that far. If any one saw the mallards let me know I would love to get one this week. Good luck and safe hunting this last week.
duckbkr
hunter

Postby GADKHNTR » Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:16 am

LOL.
You know good and well there ain't huntable numbers of mallards out there. I've seen at least a half dozen different people set up with spreads of mallards this year. One group blew calls at every ringneck in site and even blew their goose calls at passing flocks of cormorants. What you saw was more than likely clueless newbie hunters to the lake. There are always some. 2 weeks ago I saw some with a giant spread of mallards and pintails. Doubt they shot any.
"I missed 'cause everytime I shot I slid further down that log I was sittin' on."
GADKHNTR
hunter

Postby seminole_sigmanu » Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:39 am

That was some local guy that goes by d_white...... :lol:

Last mallards I saw were the ones old H****ns shot out of Ms Jeans pond going to Big Jims.
seminole_sigmanu
hunter

Postby rspringer » Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:12 am

I may have seen the same guys out of Cummings Saturday afternoon with some mallards hunting out of a silver john boat, and let me tell you they were hidden!! yeah right, you could see them all the way from Big Jims.
rspringer
hunter

Postby OldRed » Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:57 am

rspringer wrote:I may have seen the same guys out of Cummings Saturday afternoon with some mallards hunting out of a silver john boat, and let me tell you they were hidden!! yeah right, you could see them all the way from Big Jims.

:rofl: :rofl: Rookies
OldRed
hunter

Postby seminole_sigmanu » Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:22 am

I ran into a group of "Rookies" on said body of water late yesterday. They had a silver pontoon boat bellied up in the 'drilla back in a cove and I mean deep in the thick stuff. I had trouble going back there in my Dixon. I'm sure they tried to follow my path. They asked about shooting mallards.......don't hold your breath was all I said with a chuckle as I drove around them.

While we were talking they started shooting coots. I was about 2.5 from calling DNR if they hadn't went and picked them up. Heard the same boys shooting till about 630'ish.
seminole_sigmanu
hunter

Postby bbbb » Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:13 am

rspringer wrote:I may have seen the same guys out of Cummings Saturday afternoon with some mallards hunting out of a silver john boat, and let me tell you they were hidden!! yeah right, you could see them all the way from Big Jims.

I saw some guys last week down by Jacks. They were in a jon boat with an outboard. I thought they were netters until they pulled up in the grass at 9am. Didn't throw any decoys out. Started with a mallard call, then switched to a wood duck call and finished with a goose call. I was in the bottom of the boat busting a gut from laughing.

The mallard decoy guys just might be some guys I know. Sad part is, last time I hunted near them, they shot 10 ringers over the mallard decoys while I only shot 6 over a nice spread of coots and ringers. :mad: But they know the legal hours of hunting so I doubt that was actually them.
bbbb
hunter

Re: mallards on seminole

Postby olddkguide » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:42 am

duckbkr wrote:I was wanting to know if any of ya'll had seen the mallards that the guys were hunting sat afternoon in carls pass. I came off the flint to cut back to spring creek and there were some guys with at least a dozen mallards brand new looking almost in the little channel. They were set up in a big boat blind in the grass and smoking a cigar it was also after shooting light I had allready picked up my decoys and made it that far. If any one saw the mallards let me know I would love to get one this week. Good luck and safe hunting this last week.
Mallards on Seminole are possible but not very likely this season, its just hasn't been cold enough. If you put out greenhead dekes on Seminole you may as well wear hunter orange to the blind. These birds have been shot at since September, a greenhead is an alarm signal to almost everything you'll see on Seminole. If there are any greenheads out there you'll know it when you see it. just use a call a little to get their attention, they will pitch to anything if you talk sweet enough.
olddkguide
hunter

Postby GADKHNTR » Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:11 am

Call to them? Why bother? Just act like you are tossing out bread and they will come right over for the meal; cause any you see out there are bread fed dock feeders.
"I missed 'cause everytime I shot I slid further down that log I was sittin' on."
GADKHNTR
hunter

Seminole pet mallards

Postby olddkguide » Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:31 am

You are probably right, a loaf of white bread shows up real good on the water from a distance. Oh , shoot I think they call that baiting. The greenhorns need to learn to hunt the lake, shoot the divers and enjoy the lost puddle ducks. Hey you can still take a sandwich with you and just wave it around, just might work. :rofl:
olddkguide
hunter

Postby seminole_sigmanu » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:23 pm

Yup, some are so tame that they get their toe-nails clipped.....like the Wingate Greenheads.

A mallard on Seminole is about one step above a Muskovy.

BUT a few get lost on there way and land at Seminole. But if you've never been to Seminole and drive around during the season, you'd think it was Arkansas due to the comp callers and J-hook spreads of puddlers.....not to mention the all the mojo mallards.

A few of us spend a large amount of time on the water hunting, netting, gigging and fishing and very seldom see any green heads unless you count the color of a BlueBill's head.

My dad has told me stories about when the lake got first backed up and it included large numbers of mallards but those times are long gone. Grass brought the divers in and the flooded timber became stump fields.
seminole_sigmanu
hunter

Postby holder » Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:27 pm

All ya'll have lost your minds.....Limited out on Mallards and woodies ten days ago down there
holder
Newb

Postby GADKHNTR » Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:47 pm

LOL. Glad you caught onto and joined in on the BSing here quick.

And if that were true you wouldn't have your first 3 posts asking on info on a certain section of water and I would need to ask YOUR advice.
GADKHNTR
hunter

Postby jaker » Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:20 am

I dont know bout Seminole but i hunted up above colombus on the river last weekend and did pretty good. found a spot that DU plants and floods right off the river but u cant hunt it. I went and took a look just cuz I was curious and kicked up about 300 mallards, 75 wood ducks, a few flocks of geese, and some ringers. I set up the next mornin close to there on the river, they all flew off the impoundment at daybreak and came right over me. I was able to work a few birds and ended up killing 2 geese, 2 woodies, and 4 mallards in a little over an hour. not bad for a teenager huntin in a canoe.
jaker
hunter

Postby YesSirSon » Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:57 pm

BBB...
That wasn't us.
... Although that rainstorm last Saturday brought the mallards in by the hundreds... glad we had those dekes :yes:

... We are still learning. Those dekes have already been put in the shed to collect dust. Already made the investment in some new ones.
YesSirSon
Newb

Postby plazaducker » Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:21 pm

you jumped 75 wood ducks and and 300 mallards?
plazaducker
hunter

Postby jaker » Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:25 pm

plazaducker wrote:you jumped 75 wood ducks and and 300 mallards?

Ya I went in there midday just to look around cuz I was curious and when I walked down to the swamp that they have dammed up I kicked out about 300 Mallards and 75 wooducks, give or take. there were some geese and a few ringers too. The thing is you cant hunt it so you have to find a place that they fly over when they come off of it in the mornins. They plant what looked like millet so I guess thats why they were all sittin in there. I had a dang good shoot the next mornin, but I think I coulda been in a better spot. Also, Im purdy sure that they werent residents either cuz I went down there the other day just after the season went out and there werent half as many birds. Ill be huntin on the river near there some next year so I always enjoy company if ur up for a hunt sometime. Thats a long trip in a canoe from the closest ramp but im fixin to get me a boat so that oughta help, and if nothing else I almost always get into some woodies and a few geese so it keeps it interesting even when its slow.
2009 - 2010 (My boat)

Bw Teal- 7
jaker
hunter

Return to Georgia Duck Hunting