New Birds on Clarks Hill

For those who enjoy duck hunting in Georgia this is the place to discuss everything from Georgia duck hunting outfitters to hunting pintails, mallards and canvasbacks on lake Seminole.

Moderators: Dep6, Remman, caleb

New Birds on Clarks Hill

Postby olddkguide » Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:17 am

Scouted late yesterday on Clarks Hill, Saw a good number of high flyers moving down the main channel. Hunted this a.m. and had a limit by 8. Good Luck. Lets all enjoy this last weekend. Hope this helps somebody. I plan to hunt the lake the rest of this season. :thumbsup:
olddkguide
hunter

Postby GADKHNTR » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:04 am

Sounds good. I hope you get into them this last weekend! What did your limit consist of (what kinds of birds)?
"I missed 'cause everytime I shot I slid further down that log I was sittin' on."
GADKHNTR
hunter

Postby olddkguide » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:15 am

Three greenheads, one gadwall, two greenwings, three canadas.
I was suprised to see the teal. Nothing has frozen up here this year and the lake is very low - still a lot of lake out there - just makes some spots you usually wouldn't hunt. This late in the season I don't mind telling folks the birds are arriving. Most of the local holes have been dry or almost dry all season, the birds just passed us on by.
olddkguide
hunter

Postby GADKHNTR » Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:42 pm

Sounds good. Glad to hear some are there. I live in Augusta and hunted there opening weekend. Some jacklegs left their decoys out overnight before the opener. Next time I won't just leave them a lone. It was slow back in NOV to say the least.
"I missed 'cause everytime I shot I slid further down that log I was sittin' on."
GADKHNTR
hunter

Postby olddkguide » Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:19 pm

I'm leaving to fly the lake til dark, going hunting again in the morning. I' ll post again to let folks know whats out there.
olddkguide
hunter

Postby olddkguide » Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:53 am

Good news! The new ducks are hanging close to some of the islands, they all seem to be trying to stay out of the wind. I saw the most birds from Busy point and south. There are some birds
on little river but not much water near 17. I hunted an island this
morning on the big water , got 4 mallards, 4 canada geese, 2 widgeon. There were a fair number of high flyers moving down the main channel getting out of here. I hope more will move in to replace the ones that left, I'll know in the morning. Some divers are on the big water but they are scattered. Best bet is one of the islands and out of the wind, its going to be nasty out there in the morning.
olddkguide
hunter

Postby olddkguide » Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:25 am

Wow! what a morning, made to order. Shooting came slow today
didn't start til about 7:30 - cloud cover. The guys one island down from me were either shooting skeet or burning em a new one. When those birds finally came by they had the afterburners on.
7:45 I changed sides of the island, the wind shifted, boy was that the right move. The birds had been on the other side and I was back in business. Two Mallards, Two canada geese, one widgeon,
and a late an lonely canvasback - don't see many on this lake.
Fisherman ended the hunt for me or I'm sure I would have had some more chances. I swear if its the last thing I do I'm going to go toss decoys out on top of some bass fisherman one day when he's on a hot spot. Yal enjoy the last day, I'm hanging it up for the season.
olddkguide
hunter

Postby caseydog » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:08 am

ended the season with some mallards, ringers, bluebills, and a couple of buffleheads in the last 5 days at the lake. it's a shame that our season ends when it does. doesn't seem fair that so many other states way north of us share the same closing dates as us. oh well, the ducks arrived on the hill with about 15 days left in the season. had approximately 500 ringers coming into our cove on the last day, managed a few kills just weren't quite set up right. oh well... there is always next year... one tip for lake hunting.. scout, scout, scout!!!!
caseydog
hunter

Postby caseydog » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:12 am

oh and i forgot, our morning also ended with some bass fisherman not caring about our cove with decoys. most of them i encountered were very rude this year. i think next year when it happens... and it will... i am going to get in the boat and circle them at full speed for as long as i can!!!!
caseydog
hunter

Postby olddkguide » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:23 am

Glad to see somebody else had some shooting on the lake. Some
years we get a good artic blast and then you can bet we'll see birds. Clarks Hill is a funny lake some years we have plenty of birds some years we don't. There's not a lot of food in the lake for the birds so we don't usually hold birds for long. When we have a high water year there's not anywhere better and trust me I've hunted in a lot of places. This place is like most, if you do your homework it usually pays off, if nothing else we have plenty of resident geese to keep us busy.
olddkguide
hunter

Postby Dep6 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:20 pm

Why not think about scattering some millet or grain sorghumn seed before the water rises? Something to think about at least.
Saving the Poodles of America, one Alligator at a time!!
Dep6
Site Admin

Postby olddkguide » Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:29 am

Planting is a great idea that has worked. The problem is everybody
finds the spot and over shoots it, also with the goose population we have they literally mow it down in no time. What we need is several sporting groups to join forces with the Corps biologist involved, planting major sand bars, edges of islands, and some prime habitat areas on the lake. I used to be on the Georgia DU
Marsh committee, I was very disappointed in the level of input that we were actually able to have, maybe this has changed. I've heard excuses for years how the state budget doesn't allow for
planting anymore. I don't recall one time when the DNR has ever
asked for hunters to contribute for a planting program. I know that I would be more than happy if some kind of program like that was started and I would support it. The Fishing Creek waterfowl area
is typical of the failed system of MARSH projects in north Georgia.
The area was originally designed as a series of shallow ponds
that could be planted and then flooded for hunts. When the area first opened it was a huge hit, guys litterally lined up at the gate and waited their turn to hunt the area, it was managed very well.
The problems soon started when management declined, the beavers took over and planting stopped, blinds were allowed to wrought. No one from DNR ever requested help on these projects.
I know that their were and still are individuals who are willing to
contribute time and money if we know projects will be maintained.
The problem with most Marsh projects in north Georgia is we have
created nothing more than little shooting holes, these don,t HOLD birds. Planting large areas probably is the best solution for food sources on the big north Georgia lakes but it's not very likely to ever happen unless a lot of us that hunt these lakes are willing to bite the bullet and make it happen. The biologist with DNR and the Corp are good people and know what they are doing, but they
have limited resources and manpower. I believe we could bring some great waterfowl hunting to north Georgia, but it will take time and lot of dollars and work. Let's chat this up, maybe somebody will have a great idea.
olddkguide
hunter

Postby Dep6 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:59 pm

Your right about the Geese mowing it down, I was in on planting Juliette like that several years back when the Georgia Waterfowlers Association tried to do it with the Boy Scouts but the geese and the deer mowed it all down.
Dep6
Site Admin

Postby GA Quackhead » Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:46 am

I am up for the planting in our area. Have tractor and implements. Fishing Creek has great potential, but little food. Not to mention the large hole in the impoundement in the Lincoln Co. side. The area manager just left there recently, I don't know if they filled the position yet.
Lake N Biskits Blonde Roux "Gravy"
"Leave nothing for the judges to judge!"
GA Quackhead
hunter

Postby Dep6 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:26 pm

Yall have a waterfowl impoundment up there with a broken dike?
Dep6
Site Admin

Postby olddkguide » Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:21 pm

The impoundment has basically been barely functional and next to useless for quite sometime. There is another Marsh project
less than one mile as the crow flies. DU has spent hundreds of thousands of dollars on the Morris Creek project and its even less
productive as a hunt area than Fishing Creek. When Morris Creek was created we (Hunters) were not even told that it had been built on the management area. I found it by accident scouting one day. I later found out some now retired DNR guys were using it as there own private duck hole. The Morris Creek project was there for two years before DNR published anything about it. I hate to stir something up, but I'm
tired of seeing DU and DNR dollars wasted . If we are going to have Marsh projects then lets make em work. The Dan Denton
area on Lake Oconee is the best project in the region. I knew Dan
personally and we had many a conversation about this very subject.
The DNR has told me in the past that they CAN'T let the public work
on management projects. I understand the reasoning from a liability point. It seems to me that DNR needs to embrace sportsman that are willing to help. We could organize work projects
under the direction of DNR personel. I hope this dialogue generates
some positive action for current and future waterfowl projects in the state.
olddkguide
hunter

Postby Dep6 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:42 pm

Me too.
Dep6
Site Admin

Return to Georgia Duck Hunting