Where to Start?

For those who enjoy duck hunting in Georgia this is the place to discuss everything from Georgia duck hunting outfitters to hunting pintails, mallards and canvasbacks on lake Seminole.

Moderators: Dep6, Remman, caleb

Where to Start?

Postby jaker » Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:09 am

Hey, Im 16 years old and planning to do some hunting on seminole next year. I was wondering if anyone could give me some hints on where to start. Im planning on doing some scouting but Ive only been there a few times and have no clue where to put in or what area is the better part of the lake. any help is appreciated, thanks.
2009 - 2010 (My boat)

Bw Teal- 7
jaker
hunter

Postby GADKHNTR » Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:38 pm

Looking at how many times you went out this season and how many mallards and geese you killed I should be the one asking you where to go up around there!
Ringnecks are fun to hunt, but they don't taste nearly as good as those other ducks. If you end up going, the best advice I can give you is to leave your mallard and woodduck decoys at home.
"I missed 'cause everytime I shot I slid further down that log I was sittin' on."
GADKHNTR
hunter

Postby jaker » Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:30 pm

Ya well I did have a couple of good mornins up around west point, but I killed most of those ducks in Arkansas. Me an my dad go up there and hunt on WMAs in the NE corner every year. I was thinkin of goin to seminole just to change it up a little bit. I have about 2 dozen bluebill and goldeneye decoys is that good enough or do I need somethin else?
2009 - 2010 (My boat)

Bw Teal- 7
jaker
hunter

Postby GADKHNTR » Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:40 pm

Don't see many goldeneyes. IF you manage to find ducks down there they will more than likely take a look at the bluebills though.
"I missed 'cause everytime I shot I slid further down that log I was sittin' on."
GADKHNTR
hunter

Postby olddkguide » Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:42 pm

Go gettem next year young man. Those decoy's will work just fine on seminole. I've hunted that area a good bit in years past. I'd add some more decoys if you can and paint those bluebills up like ringnecks. Your probably not going to see any or many goldeneye
though. Good Luck!
olddkguide
hunter

Postby Dep6 » Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:21 pm

Scouting in the key no doubt, get you a good map of the lake too.
Saving the Poodles of America, one Alligator at a time!!
Dep6
Site Admin

Postby jaker » Sat Feb 02, 2008 3:33 pm

Well thanks for the help, do yall have any tips as far as where to put in or what side of the lake to scout?
2009 - 2010 (My boat)

Bw Teal- 7
jaker
hunter

Postby olddkguide » Sat Feb 02, 2008 3:52 pm

If I was you I,d strart by going on DU web site, click on migration map.
That will take you to a aerial map of the USA, zoom in on seminole and make some copies for later reference. Buy a good map of the lake and spend as much time on it between now and next season as you can. You'll find that there are certain places you will like better than others, folks that live down there are real friendly. Take time to find your own spots, probably will have others on top of you so get used to it. The die hards pretty much respect one another, they'll get to
know you if they see you enough.
olddkguide
hunter

Postby duckbkr » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:23 am

I hunt it a lot and there are many good boat ramps. What type of motor do you have and what would you like to kill. I will give you the best advice ever never go alone it is not a safe lake to be on if you are not very seasoned at the lake a lot of stumps and you can get lost in the dark quick. I know I got turned around in the fog as did some other guys I know this past year. I no longer live close by but still hunt it at least 3 or 4 days a week get to know some of the guys that hunt it a lot we will help where we can. Good luck and safe hunting
duckbkr
hunter

Postby jaker » Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:09 am

Well thanks for the advice, I have a 9 hp outboard on a 14' jon boat. I also have a buddy that will be with me most of the time, and hopefully I will be able to make it down there to scout atleast 4 or 5 times during the off season. I really dont care about what kind of duck, just whatever there is the most of and whatever is the easiest to hunt.
2009 - 2010 (My boat)

Bw Teal- 7
jaker
hunter

Postby seminole_sigmanu » Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:08 pm

I really suggest coming down and riding the lake first.

It's a large lake and almost every part looks the same.

It's full of hydrilla that will eat a regular boat motor.

It's fully of stumps that will take the foot of your motor and sent you paddling.

Paint all your decoys black then put a large white spot on'em.

Leave your mallard decoys home, same goes for the woodies.

Same goes for the calls.

Learn what a Q-beam to the face means, you'll see.

Start early, on the water by no later than 5, if it's past 645 your really gonna p@ss of a lot of guys off.

Learn to be mobile, ducks move, decoys numbers matter, cut off the mojo, use the wind and sun to your advantage.

Hope you like divers. Only puddle duck you'll see is teal and woodies. (not saying you want see anything else but chance might be slim to none). Mainly ringers....with one other species not to be spoken of.

Think bigger, the lake will eat that little boat.....your boat will work but just be careful.

We're nice but we don't hand out freebies.

Closer to the main lake the better, the farther up the river and creeks the harder it's going to be to scout and find birds, UNLESS you put it a good amount of scouting time.

Get ready to hunt beside someone. They're gonna wave and not move.......believe me, it's gonna happen.

Dont skybust, those divers will circle and land.....sometimes it takes a few passes. Learn to watch the wing beats.

Don't be afraid to pick up and move.

It's gonna be tough, it's not a toss out your decoys and have a barn burner. You might sit and not fire a shot but hear shooting all around you and see a ton of birds.

Learn what the "X" means.
seminole_sigmanu
hunter

Postby duckbkr » Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:05 pm

be very careful in that boat. If I were you I would go scout now why there are still a few ducks there. I would also say stay toward the big water. You will not be able too get back in the creeks in that motor. Be kind to the people who are there the people will get on the water at 4 am and I hear they dont like people seting up next to them. If a lot of spots and be able to relocate in the dark if you need. good luck and safe hunting
duckbkr
hunter

Postby jaker » Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:13 am

Well thanks for the advice, I have two dozen mallard decoys that im thanking about painting, what would yall recomend that I change them to? Ringers? Canvasback? Bluebill?
2009 - 2010 (My boat)

Bw Teal- 7
jaker
hunter

Postby Dep6 » Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:04 am

I would paint them half coot and half Ringers or Bluebills whichever is easier for you to paint.
Saving the Poodles of America, one Alligator at a time!!
Dep6
Site Admin

INfo

Postby SGM-DKHNTR » Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:19 pm

Jaker, all that info you're getting is from guys that have grown up on that lake. They're stearing you straight and giving you good advise. :thumbsup:

I know,, they helped me out tremendously last year. I've since been transferred out of state or I would have hunted with them guys again this past season.

Everyone on that lake's OK. Pay very good attention to Seminole-Sigmanu (unwritten) rules of the lake. He speaks volumes. It's mostly just common courtesy. :wink:

Some additional recommendations: If you don't know where you are, go slow! I watched a guy in a Bass fishing tournament going mach ten. He wandered out of the channel and whaled into an underwater stump. He hit it so hard his hole family back home fell down.

Don't bring a dog. There's gators bigger then your boat there, and they're all hungry. Get an old girl friend to go out and get your ducks for you. :rofl:

Bring a paddle. You'll most likely need it sooner or later. Just ask the guy I pulled in last year.

Know the law!!! Be sure and be legal. Licenses, life jackets, etc. The man is all over that lake!

Scout, scout and scout. When you think you're done scouting, scout some more. I doubt five times will Gid-R-Dun.

Stay off the big water. Your boat's too small if the water gets a little wild and the only thing out there is Cans. Unless you got a couple hundred coot deeks and a lay out boat, you're wasting your time.

If you run into GADKHTR or Siminole-Sigmanu, buy them a beer for me. :cheers:

Good luck.

PS: Where were you at West Point that you did well? I don't live there anymore so you can tell me on a pm. I'm just curious. I've hunted that lake a couple of times and never found much there.
"I see dead birds flying"
SGM-DKHNTR
hunter

Postby duckbkr » Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:23 pm

I would paint them like ringers. And a few coots when I hunt the ringers I only use about 6-10 ringers and some times a coot or two but you will not have to have the coots for ringer hunting. If you plan to go after blue bills or cans you are going to need a lot more decoys and a layout. We scout all year you may want to get with some guys in the off season and ride the lake with some people who know it well. I know it seems like a long time until season but it will pay off in november when you fill your boat. Good luck and safe hunting
duckbkr
hunter

Postby seminole_sigmanu » Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:57 pm

SGM-DKHNTR

Thanks for the kind words. Maybe you can talk me "d" into taking a trip up there. Never hunted in the snow much less seen any.
muddy-feet
seminole_sigmanu
hunter

Postby jaker » Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:07 pm

I appreciate all the help! lookin forward to meeting some of yall in person when im down there.
2009 - 2010 (My boat)

Bw Teal- 7
jaker
hunter

Return to Georgia Duck Hunting