Cure for duck huntin blues

For those who enjoy duck hunting in Georgia this is the place to discuss everything from Georgia duck hunting outfitters to hunting pintails, mallards and canvasbacks on lake Seminole.

Moderators: Dep6, Remman, caleb

Cure for duck huntin blues

Postby olddkguide » Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:41 am

So much time from now til next season. If you've got the duck huntin
blues nows a good time to start working on woodduck boxes. If you
build your boxes now and get em on out there you've got a pretty good chance of birds nesting this year. If you already have boxes up
go clean em now before the birds move in, wait for a cold day so you
don't have to worry about snakes or wasp. Cut overhanging branches away from boxes , creates a path for unwanted critters, predator guards only work if branches are at least six feet from boxes. I maintain over 200 boxes, needless to say I can find woodies
when I want one. Yal go help put some back, I promise it'll ad a whole new part to your enjoyment of duck huntin.
olddkguide
hunter

Postby Dep6 » Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:28 am

200? Wow, what part of the state are you in?>
Saving the Poodles of America, one Alligator at a time!!
Dep6
Site Admin

Postby olddkguide » Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:08 pm

Clarks Hill Area
olddkguide
hunter

Postby Dep6 » Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:48 pm

I guess it don't take all that long to clean them out and all, good work there sir!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Saving the Poodles of America, one Alligator at a time!!
Dep6
Site Admin

Postby shadyducks » Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:52 am

Was wondering about the woodduck boxes. I have heard that they should be spread out from each other. Such as maybe one box per acre of water. Have you noticed any truth to that.
shadyducks
Newb

Postby olddkguide » Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:21 am

You are correct to a point. Woodduck boxes can be fairly close to one another just not in sight of each other. I have one area that has eight boxes within 200 yards of one another, but you cannot see one box from another. Boxes that can be seen by other nesting birds often become dump boxes, that is each bird nesting in the area lays eggs in the same box with no hen tending it. Place boxes in shallow areas and dump feed in the water ,you'll have ducks in that spot before you know it . Good spots usually hatch two clutches each year,
that equals 16 to 20 news ducklings each year per box. You can really make a huge difference in a hunting spot in a fairly short amount of time. Glad to help, we all benefit.
olddkguide
hunter

predators and boxes

Postby stom1528 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:40 pm

i live in northwest GA and i want to build boxes for some Woodies, but what kind of predators should i be worried about?
i am interested in trying to improve the habitat for ducks in GA and find out who the predators are and how to get rid of them.
stom1528
Newb

Postby olddkguide » Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:09 pm

All of em! Really, practically everything will eat a duckling or eggs.
You can eliminate a lot of predators by placing your boxes on metal
poles. Predrill your boxes and poles it makes installation a heck of a lot easier, always install a predator guard on the bottom. You can make predator guards out of metal or buy some 10 gallon plastic pots
cut a hole in the bottom of the pot, slide it up to the bottom of your box then secure it to the bottom of the box with screws. Snakes go after eggs,and ducklings, so do skunks ,raccoons, foxes, coyotes, domestic cats, wild pigs, blue herons, bass ... you get the picture.
Trees are easy to attach your boxes to but a death sentence for what ever nest in those boxes. I can't say it enough, make sure there are no branches overhanging or within six feet of the box. I have witnessed snakes use branches to get at boxes with predator guards on them. Good luck. Make your boxes where they can be opened , this makes cleaning a lot easier. I started making mine so that I can swivel one side by removing just one screw.
olddkguide
hunter

boxes

Postby stom1528 » Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:31 am

i appreciate your response. i will be building some this week.
clark
i am interested in trying to improve the habitat for ducks in GA and find out who the predators are and how to get rid of them.
stom1528
Newb

Return to Georgia Duck Hunting