Duck Hunting Forum banner

NW public land

2K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  jstewart_1981 
#1 ·
Ik most people wont post there honey holes public places on here but after hunting private beaver swamps for some time i would like to give public duck hunting in georgia. Just looking for decent spots to shoot something any advice would be greatly appreciated. Also i will drive anywhere.

#2 ·
Key as in any hunting is scout, scout and scout some more. Just gonna have to put in the time on public water and find them, might be really small groups but hopefully to find some that you can hunt. Be very mindful of any lake or river that you decide to scout, be sure to check DNR, Corps of Engineers and even GA Power for rules and regulations for Georgia lakes and rivers. Some lakes you have to have a GA Power permit to access the lake, West Point comes to mind when I say that one.

#4 ·
What part of the state are you in or what county? I live half way between Macon and Columbus in the country. :biggrin:

#6 ·
There's a ton of good places to hunt. I assume you have a yak, he ce your handle yaknsmith.
Load that yak and go now to the places you find on Google earth. That's what I do. Then check the regulations to see what you need for each tributary.
I have a Jon boat, but I also have 2 scooter pirogues, so I can get into a lot of places that others can not, like you can with your yak.

#7 ·
I live in NW ga and have duck hunted public and private here my whole life. Sure theres a ton of places here to hunt for ducks publicly but not many places here are that great. Private tracts will yield way more birds. In your area Allatoona holds birds but Iam not sure how much you could do with a Kiyak with all the open water. Divers maybe? I have a buddy who shot 35/40 buffies bank hunting Allataoona last season. I have a a couple places in Nw GA area that we have done quite well but its taken us some time to locate these areas. And then, its still a crap shoot being in GA.

#11 ·
Allatoona isnt that great. Sometime you will get lucky and find some divers in the open water. Buffies mainly unless you find some lost redheads. Pattern those and have a decent shoot if someone doesnt beat you to them. Find some shallower spots and you may shoot a few mallards/woodies. Its still in Ga, dont expect much. Quite honestly have had better luck hunting shallow water lakes like Weiss.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.