Places to Hunt in GA

For those who enjoy duck hunting in Georgia this is the place to discuss everything from Georgia duck hunting outfitters to hunting pintails, mallards and canvasbacks on lake Seminole.

Moderators: Dep6, Remman, caleb

Places to Hunt in GA

Postby GAduck&goose » Sat Aug 28, 2004 6:40 pm

Where are some good places to Duck and Goose hunt in Georgia? I live in Marietta.
GAduck&goose
hunter

Postby Hawk » Sun Sep 26, 2004 9:19 am

Try Lake Lanier for goose hunting, Lake Oconee, Clarks Hill. had lots of luck in these places. ducks I tend to stay in the rivers or private ponds. Good luck Hawk. If you want more details on these lakes just ask.
Butt- Belly- Beak- Boom
Hawk
hunter

Postby wbduckhunter » Tue Nov 30, 2004 8:42 pm

where at oconee and lanier and clark hill, what if u have no boat, u have waders only
was that a duck or ???????????????
wbduckhunter
hunter

Postby grayduck » Wed Dec 01, 2004 12:02 pm

Lake lanier has several closed campgrounds you can park and walk a half mile to. Buy a Lake map at any WalMart or sporting goods store and go on line to the ga dnr site for regs.
grayduck
Newb

Postby wbduckhunter » Sat Dec 04, 2004 4:17 pm

any closes camp groung that is closed we can hunt is that what your saying

what about oconee

because no boat means no ducks or is the hunting good or bad
wbduckhunter
hunter

Postby grayduck » Mon Dec 06, 2004 10:09 am

Don't know about oconee. And its the campground / picnic area that are closed. Check the DNR website for listings and you can also download a Lake lanier map to spot the sites.

Hunting can be hit or miss. In the first split opening weekend was good and the next weekend I saw only two ducks flying and no geese.
grayduck
Newb

Postby wbduckhunter » Mon Dec 06, 2004 8:50 pm

thank you Mr. greyduck

rum creek wma is a hit and miss just on of those hunts i guess
wbduckhunter
hunter

Postby jeremy adams » Thu Dec 09, 2004 7:12 am

wbduckhunter wrote:where at oconee and lanier and clark hill, what if u have no boat, u have waders only
you don't have to have a boat to kill at oconee. It might not be as good as some other spots but you can kill'em. try looking on a lake map of oconee. look for the us foresty land that backs up to the lake and look at the 2 large swamps off of hwy. 15 . Also the apl. river @ 15. 1 more spot and my little secret pocket when I did not have a boat is old county rd. 1234 . hope that helps (P.S. IF YOU DON'T HAVE A BOAT GET A FLOAT TUBE. JUST FOOD FOR THOUGHT!!!!!!)
jeremy adams
hunter

Postby wbduckhunter » Thu Dec 09, 2004 4:10 pm

can u give better direction so i can find it in the dark if the direction are good well sunday is looking good
wbduckhunter
hunter

Postby jeremy adams » Thu Dec 09, 2004 5:40 pm

wbduckhunter wrote:can u give better direction so i can find it in the dark if the direction are good well sunday is looking good
go hwy 15 south out of athens cross over the river . there will be signs for a boat ramp on the left. park at the boat ramp and there are trails going away from hwy 15. that leads to the big swamp. there will be a creek that dumps into the river just follow it until you it the beaver damn. good luck
jeremy adams
hunter

Postby wbduckhunter » Tue Dec 14, 2004 2:03 pm

is that public or private land and do u go there alot

I got to a wma up hwy 11 for all of my ducking and it's get harder and harder
wbduckhunter
hunter

Postby jeremy adams » Fri Dec 17, 2004 8:53 pm

it is a wma. the redlands. check it out if you scout you are sure to shot your woodies and now that it is colder maybe a hooded maganzer or mallard.
shotem in the head not shotem til there dead!
jeremy adams
hunter

Postby wbduckhunter » Mon Dec 20, 2004 4:34 pm

is this trail a good one or easy to find and how far do i have to go in to the swamp it's looking like sunday i'm heading there, i think i need to ask my wife.

that boat ramp do u know what the name of it is.

thank a lot
wbduckhunter
hunter

Postby wbduckhunter » Mon Dec 20, 2004 4:34 pm

is this trail a good one or easy to find and how far do i have to go in to the swamp it's looking like sunday i'm heading there, i think i need to ask my wife.

that boat ramp do u know what the name of it is.

thank a lot
wbduckhunter
hunter

Postby jeremy adams » Wed Dec 22, 2004 12:24 am

I don't know the name of it. It is the only boat ramp on 15 north of the check station.
jeremy adams
hunter

Duck Hunting Lake Lanier

Postby jameszzz » Fri Dec 31, 2004 7:39 pm

I have a boat and I went out and scouted Lake Lanier today. I didn't see too many geese. Maybe about 15 in a public Park. I didn't see any ducks.

I did see one other bird that was plentiful. It had a black head and brown back. Can anyone tell me where some of the hot spots on Lake Lanier are. Also what kind of bird do you guys think I saw that had a black head and brown back. There were about 30 of them and they were diving for fish.
jameszzz
Newb

Re: Duck Hunting Lake Lanier

Postby jeremy adams » Fri Jan 21, 2005 8:42 pm

jameszzz wrote:I have a boat and I went out and scouted Lake Lanier today. I didn't see too many geese. Maybe about 15 in a public Park. I didn't see any ducks.

I did see one other bird that was plentiful. It had a black head and brown back. Can anyone tell me where some of the hot spots on Lake Lanier are. Also what kind of bird do you guys think I saw that had a black head and brown back. There were about 30 of them and they were diving for fish.
If it had along neck it was a comarant. don't shot them they are protected for some stupid reason.
jeremy adams
hunter

Postby SCoutdoorsman » Sat Jan 22, 2005 9:55 am

Them water turkeys will get you under the jail house :thumbsup:
Everyone must believe in something and I believe I'll go hunting. When men bond something must die.
SCoutdoorsman
Forum & State Moderator

Postby GADKHNTR » Sat Jan 22, 2005 11:05 am

Got a fellow at the RV park on Seminole this past weekend to take me to town to get gas (across the lake w/ no gas in boat could get ugly)..he told me that "them there water turkeys ain't half bad t'eat in a pinch"...uggghhhh..guarenteed me it wasn't dry. I'll stick with the ducks thank you though.
"I missed 'cause everytime I shot I slid further down that log I was sittin' on."
GADKHNTR
hunter

Return to Georgia Duck Hunting