Hawaiian Duck (Koloa)

From Hawaiian hunting packages to discussing available hunting opportunities in Hawaii.

Hawaiian Duck (Koloa)

Postby bcas » Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:45 pm

Aloha:

I'm sure many of you never think about Hawaii and waterfowl together however, the islands do have their share of local and migratory birds.

The Hawaiian Duck (Koloa) is one waterfowl species living in Hawaii. Here is a link to some pictures of the Koloa: Hawaiian Duck Photos

Here is a PDF file of Koloa information from the Hawaii State website: Hawaii State Government. When in the website, perform a search for "Koloa" and the file will come up in the results. It has some very good information.

Currently it's estimated there are 2500 Hawaiian Ducks present in Hawaii (80% of those on Kauai'i).

More information to come.

Enjoy!
bcas
hunter

Postby greenster » Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:58 pm

Good Information :thumbsup:
"Thomas Jefferson said I had a God-given right to pursue happiness. What makes me happy is to take a mallard's head smooth off at about 20 feet.

Lanyard: KM Custom Cut (hand),KM Cut red label Black Monster #1,RNT Timber hog,DS mondo,6n1 whistle
greenster
Forum & State Moderator

Postby DUCKCUTR » Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:35 pm

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
DUCKCUTR
hunter

Postby FIREMAN » Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:08 pm

I have always wanted to go to Hawaii and that is just another reason to go.
FIREMAN
hunter

Postby greenster » Sun Nov 25, 2007 5:55 pm

Wonder how much guide service will cost me? average price...
"Thomas Jefferson said I had a God-given right to pursue happiness. What makes me happy is to take a mallard's head smooth off at about 20 feet.

Lanyard: KM Custom Cut (hand),KM Cut red label Black Monster #1,RNT Timber hog,DS mondo,6n1 whistle
greenster
Forum & State Moderator

Postby bcas » Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:05 pm

greenster wrote:Wonder how much guide service will cost me? average price...

Guide around Hawaii for vacation/site seeing or hunting guide?
bcas
hunter

Postby BandMan1210 » Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:20 pm

yeah, i killed my limit yesterday....
BandMan1210
hunter

Postby cjc » Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:44 am

when is the duck season in hawaii?
cjc
hunter

Postby bcas » Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:20 pm

cjc: There is currently no waterfowl season in Hawaii. Even though Hawaii does get flight birds, I doubt they will have a season in the near future. :thumbsdown:
bcas
hunter

Postby Smackaduck » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:07 pm

SO you cant hunt there. :huh:
If they're dumb enough to be lured in by plastic you're really just doing them a favor.

Know your target before you pull the trigger.

Duck Hunting is ALL about the bag.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby bcas » Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:45 pm

Yeah you can hunt here, just not ducks. Actually, you can hunt quite a few different upland game birds...pig and some other larger game also. I'll try and find the link and post it up later.
bcas
hunter

Postby uncduckman » Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:11 pm

Saw some pintails on the Kola Refuge in Maui...the were cupped up.

Saw a few others on Kaui when I was there... pretty cool

Phesants where everywhere on Kauai I have to get on some of those when I go back.
uncduckman
hunter

Postby David » Thu May 08, 2008 1:28 pm

Hunting is allowed in Hawaii, just not duck hunting. Here's a link to there Department of Wildlife's hunting page.

http://www.state.hi.us/dlnr/IdxHunting.htm
ImageImageImage
David
Lefty

Postby AAR » Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:31 am

The Hawaiian duck is an awesome species, not the most colorful but pretty cool none the less.

Hawaii has three endemic (Hawaiian, Laysan teal, and Nene Goose) hope to have all three not too long from now mounted up together [captive raised of course :hammer: ].

Seems like many collectors forget about them being american species like any of the others we have here.

Eric

http://www.AliveAgainRecreations.com
--Specializing in Waterfowl & Upland Bird Taxidermy--
-----World/International/National/State Awards--------
AAR
Forum Moderator

Postby bcas » Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:55 pm

Schmidte217 wrote:The Hawaiian duck is an awesome species, not the most colorful but pretty cool none the less.

Hawaii has three endemic (Hawaiian, Laysan teal, and Nene Goose) hope to have all three not too long from now mounted up together [captive raised of course :hammer: ].

Seems like many collectors forget about them being american species like any of the others we have here.

Eric

They aren't raised in captivity for the purpose of being sold. Actually, I doubt if they'll classified as anything but threatened in our lifetime. I don't even think there are a couple hundred Laysan Teals and maybe 1000 Nene total.
bcas
hunter

Postby TripleDub » Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:18 pm

bcas wrote:
Schmidte217 wrote:The Hawaiian duck is an awesome species, not the most colorful but pretty cool none the less.

Eric

They aren't raised in captivity for the purpose of being sold. Actually, I doubt if they'll classified as anything but threatened in our lifetime. I don't even think there are a couple hundred Laysan Teals and maybe 1000 Nene total.

Wow, I never knew they were in that much trouble. I knew the nene were.... but I thought they made somewhat of a comeback. That sucks pretty much, well all you can do is try and help them out til the day they don't need it anymore which may be never.... considering the amount of habitat they lost.
TripleDub
hunter

Postby Kansas_Killer » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:02 am

nice
Kansas_Killer
hunter

Postby Rick618 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:27 am

They aren't forgotten, most hunting collectors don't want them because they can't shoot them for their collection. The point being to have a collection of birds that you have shot not just bought and paid for.

Really neat bird to have in captivity.

This is the world's rarest goose.[citation needed] The bird was once believed to be common, with approximately 25,000 nenes living in Hawai'i when Captain James Cook arrived in 1778.[1] However, hunting and introduced predators such as mongooses, pigs, and cats reduced the population to 30 birds by 1952.[1] However, this species breeds well in captivity, and has been successfully re-introduced; in 2004 it was estimated that there were 800 birds in the wild, as well as 1000 in wildfowl collections and zoos.[2] However, there is some concern of inbreeding due to the small initial population of birds. The nature reserve WWT Slimbridge in England was instrumental in the successful breeding of Nēnē geese in captivity. Under the direction of the leading conservationist Sir Peter Scott, it was bred back from the brink of extinction during the 1950s for later re-introduction into the wild in Hawaii. There are still nēnē geese at Slimbridge today.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawaiian_Goose
Rick618
hunter

Re: Hawaiian Duck (Koloa)

Postby noodle » Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:39 pm

I visited my brother out there a couple years ago. He is stationed at pearl harbor and we was in front of one of the hotels by wikiki beach and I was chaseing around 2 tame geese because the damn things had bands on both of there legs. :grooving:
Gump, GET DOWN AND SHUT UP!!!!
noodle
hunter

Return to Hawaii Duck Hunting