New Hunter

A place to share Idaho bird hunting knowledge and discuss Idaho hunting tactics.

Moderators: donell67, jjohnson_714, casey_714

New Hunter

Postby jcwoluwe5 » Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:51 pm

Greetings!

I have been living in the Treasure Valley for two years now (originally from Wyoming), and spend significant time in the Idaho Falls area, as well. I want to start hunting birds -- waterfowl, but also upland birds -- but don't have much (read: any) experience in hunting. I'm in my midtwenties and am in the middle of completing hunter's safety. I got interested in bird hunting late last year when I went out with my brother and his dog flushing pheasants. I've talked with my brother over the last few months of what I need to do and get, etc., and generally just talking about hunting. However, my brother lives in Laramie, and even if we could get together to go hunting, the out of state costs (in either state) would be very prohibitive. I want to get started hunting here in Idaho, but frankly don't know where to go, how I should approach game and other hunters, etc. etc. I realize that these "lacks" are very broad, but that's why I wanted to post on this forum. Basically, I'm looking for any sort of advice (detailed and broad) from experienced local hunters for a beginner.

Thanks!
jcwoluwe5
Newb

Postby casey_714 » Fri Jan 13, 2006 6:27 pm

jcwoluwe5, :welcome: to the site. I live up in the panhandle, so I don't have any specific spots that I could tell you about. However, I'm sure that there are some people around here willing to help you out. If you know anyone around there that hunts, ask them "whereabouts" they hunt (if they don't want to tell, that's fine). After that go scout out the area and look where some ducks are. Also, don't get into the habbit of skybusting. I'm not sure how many duck hunting terms you know, but that is shooting at ducks that are too far out of range, hoping that you might knock it down. I would start at only shooting at ducks within 35 yards or so, and when you get a little better, shoot a little farther if you'd like.

Also, there is always shooting clays to practice your shooting skills.
casey_714
State Moderator

Postby jjohnson_714 » Fri Jan 13, 2006 11:02 pm

:welcome: ... maybe the best way to get started down there is to talk to the people in your hunters ed class, parents of kids who are there, your instructers... since you arent from california, you should be able to maybe find someone... :smile: or there are people at work, college, church, wherever you go down there, you will probably get rejected a few times because not all hunters want to give out their secrets, but eventually you should be able to find someone who will show you the ropes... just tell people what you told us... you are new to hunting and need a mentor to show you some stuff... someone should have sympathy for you :thumbsup:
im also in my midtwenties, and its my first year duck hunting, and its one of my favorite things now... beware it is addicting... luckly my brothers have been doing it awhile so they taught me the basics... it only takes one or two times to get the general idea on things...
anyways i hope you can find some sort of partner down there... heck we would take you, but we're in the panhandle... and dont be afraid to ask questions around here... there are A LOT of really experienced guys hanging around....
good luck
jjohnson_714
State Moderator

Postby jcwoluwe5 » Sun Jan 15, 2006 10:58 am

Thanks for the advice and encouragement!
jcwoluwe5
Newb

New Hunter

Postby duckaholic41 » Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:56 am

Hey if u need sum help I live in your area Meridian actually {Idaho}
duckaholic41
hunter

Postby HaydenHunter » Mon May 01, 2006 7:37 am

jc,

The best way to get going is to hunt with someone willing to show you the ropes...the right way. Duck hunting involves knowledge of how to place decoys, call, identify birds and many other things. It also involves etiquette when other parties of hunters are in the area so that all groups can have a successful and enjoyable hunt. There is much to learn, and the very best way is to hunt with someone patient and willing to teach you.

You can also surf websites such as this one or: http://www.refugeforums.com/refuge/

The Refuge Forums is the largest of the duck hunting bulletin boards.

There are good books on the subject. I like Successful Duck Hunting by M.D. Johnson. You might be able to find it in your library or buy it at Amazon or a bookstore.

Finally, volunteering at a DU or Delta Waterfowl work day might put you in touch with potential other folks to hunt with.

Good luck. Like others have said, you will get hooked on this.
HaydenHunter
hunter

Postby IDwtrfowler22 » Mon May 01, 2006 8:42 pm

I also live in boise and hunt quite a bit, when bird season rolls around we could get together, i am always looking for ppl to go hunting with since my old partner started working weekends
IDwtrfowler22
hunter

Return to Idaho Duck Hunting