Northern Shoverlers up the ying yang

A place to share Idaho bird hunting knowledge and discuss Idaho hunting tactics.

Moderators: donell67, jjohnson_714, casey_714

Postby drakz » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:05 pm

I went and hunted the Boise Today and shot up a Limit Of Northern Shoverlers after never seeing one in my life let alone even shooting one. They were everywhere today. Another weird thing was it was Dark and an Hour Before Shooting Hours and I had everything set up and was working on the blind and I had ducks Pouring in in the Dark....I must of had 60 Shoverlers in the Decoys. The Moon was out so they must be getting up early or are these birds famous for doing that? Everyone has been talking about how the Boise has been sucking and then this happens too me....What a weird day, but fun.... :thumbsup:

Do you guys know much about these Birds? Any good eating and how often do you guys shoot em around here? I thought it was pretty crazy never shooting one and then shooting a limit of them.. :lol3:
is that my beer?
drakz
hunter

Re: Northern Shoverlers up the ying yang

Postby Idahoryden » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:13 pm

The drakes a really pretty aren't they. They are not that uncommon as I shot a few last year and have been with others when they shot them. Back in the midwest, Shovelers are considered on par with scaup, since they are divers and plentiful. I wouldn't want to eat one. My buddies back in the midwest won't even pull the trigger on one, much less eat them. Sounds like you had some fun though.
Idahoryden
hunter

Postby drakz » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:33 pm

The weird thing was they were all Hens. Every single one I seen was a hen and I've heard that other guys will see large flocks of just hens...I've done a little research on these and Some say it tastes like Poo and some say its fine made into Jerky or if you just cook it right. I was planning on making them into Jerky anyways but I don't want it to taste like Poo dang it....
is that my beer?
drakz
hunter

Postby drakz » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:35 pm

Also why is there a mix up with people saying these are divers and some saying they are Dabbling Ducks......According the Duck Unlimited Id Page they are not Divers. They did not try and dive on me when I had to chase down a few..
is that my beer?
drakz
hunter

Postby woodduckx2 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:47 pm

The Northern Shoveler is not a diver they are put in the same family as a blue winged teal and cinnamon teal which is a dabbler or a skimmer eating bugs and plants of the top of the water i raise them in my aviary so don' t say there a diver :hammer: learn your birds bud. :yes:
woodduckx2
hunter

Postby drakz » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:52 pm

I know they are not divers I was referring to this

Back in the midwest, Shovelers are considered on par with scaup, since they are divers and plentiful.

I knew they were Northern Shovelers and I was almost certain they were on par with Mallards, Teal, ect but in reading things some guys think they are Divers and then one of are own just called them divers too....Why do people get it mixed..... :huh:
is that my beer?
drakz
hunter

Postby dukhunter73 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:12 pm

i went out on the boise today as well but i didnt see one shoverler but saw lots of mallards widgeon and goldeneyes
SW Idaho
days 75
dukhunter73
hunter

Postby drakz » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:28 pm

Wow that's crazy that you did not see any. I seen hardly any Mallards.
is that my beer?
drakz
hunter

Postby Idahoryden » Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:07 pm

I stand corrected on my statement that they are "officially" divers. However, back in the midwest where I am from they have always been on par with and referred to as diver/trash ducks. Nothing against the Shoveler as they are beautiful birds, but I still wouldn't want to eat one.
Idahoryden
hunter

Postby drakz » Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:08 pm

what about jerky? do they make good jerky?
is that my beer?
drakz
hunter

Postby rookie20011 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:36 pm

DRAKZ yes jerky thr fine bud. If ur to worried grind them up mixed with mallards n jerky em that way. :thumbsup: Great shooting on them I've shot more last yr then I even seen this yr.
rookie20011
hunter

Postby huntfishnv » Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:09 pm

Some people say they taste horrible but every spoony that Ive shot I cooked just like any other duck and it tastes fine. Every single one has been a hen also. :huh:
Nick Roehl wrote:Everything I say is so damn good you need to quote it for your signiture.

Un-expect the expected
huntfishnv
hunter

Postby 28duckman » Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:48 pm

I hunted Lowell on Nov 19th and shot 2 hen shoverlers and could have waxed 2 more that wanted to be in the same hole there friends were in. As far as eating, jerky of saute' them up duck is yummy!!! Take the breast lay it out, saran wrap, double works best, then pound it out with meat mallet, salt, pepper, light chili flake, half butter and olive oil and BAMM.....vittles baby!!!
28duckman
hunter

Postby drakz » Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:18 pm

I make some killer jerky...This is how I do mine....

I go to Cabelas, Buy the Hi Mountain Cure & Seasoning and follow the directions! :lol3: The hardest part is getting all the meat cut into little strips and then I smash each piece with a towel to make em dry.....Its super easy but time consuming but it tastes oh so good...
is that my beer?
drakz
hunter

Postby waveslider » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:19 pm

You might want to read up on the mighty Broadbill. In several areas (maybe not all flyways) there are specific warnings about the amount of mercury in them. Generally in the midwest and california (where they are super plentiful) most people won't pull the trigger on them because they taste horrible and have high levels of mercury. Once you've seen your fair share of them they are pretty easy to spot and they decoy like they're retarded.

Its a shame too because the Flying Backhoe is a beautiful looking duck.
Internet Scouting Pro Staff
waveslider
hunter

Postby drakz » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:56 pm

they decoy like they're retarded.

:lol: :lol: :lol: Yes this is true...Hence the Reason a guy like me shot em up!

Mercury? I'm not pregnant so I'm good to go! :lol3: What are the levels compared to Crappie? I ate about 6 Crappie all in one sitting the other day and I'm still here.. :thumbsup:
is that my beer?
drakz
hunter

Postby IDhunter » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:39 pm

Ive eaten my fair share of shovelers. I had a few drakes but mostly hens, and they tasted fine. ive done jerky, and ive just grilled em up before too. I tend to think im unaffected by the mercury, but others may argue :lol3:
IDhunter
hunter

Postby HaydenHunter » Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:06 am

I don't know about any mercury connection, but spoonies, a.k.a. Hollywood Mallards are plentiful this year in the Pacific Flyway. In fact, if you go to your 2011 USFWS survey of bird counts you will find that the Northern Shoveler population in this flyway has spiked year over year (2011 vs. 2010) and is significantly over long-term averages as well. I went down to the Klamath Basin over Thanksgiving and hunted one day. Of the four birds I shot, three were spoonies. I made them into ducky hors d'oeurves, cutting them in chunks and soaking them in olive oil, and fresh chopped garlic. Each chunk was wrapped with bacon and skewered, then cooked over the grill. Eat them with a dipping sauce once cooked. I submit that you can mix spoonie breasts in with your other ducks and not tell the difference. I have never bought into the line that they are a trash duck. To me, that term means mergansers and fish ducks.

Spoonies will fly on bluebird days and will respond to the hail call and decoy so well that you think you are Phil Robertson out there.
When I lived in NoCal and it was a still, warm bluebird day you would shoot your one bull sprig and complete your days shooting with a brace of shovelers...if you were into it.
HaydenHunter
hunter

Postby hitnrun » Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:41 pm

Hah spoonies do decoy well. All year long and sometimes without even calling.

I can't tell you how many times this season on a bluebird day, I eat my lunch and turn around to see a pair of spoonies 15 yards away swimming with the decoys.

A lot of people out here (NorCal) hate shooting spoonies and really stigmatize them. I have a blind partner that would rather not fire his gun all day than to shoot at a spoony. To each their own though...I didn't invest all that time and money an energy throughout the season to bird watch. If nothing else in the form of "big ducks" or "more desirable" ducks are flying...I will shoot my spoonies. They eat fine. Poppers, stir fry, or jerky.

Out here, all the ducks eat the same thing. Rice. If you ate a teal, mallard, and a spoony side by side, the only way you could tell a difference is by the size of the breast. Anyone who tells you different is LYING!

Now, this applies to where I hunt in Northern California. YMMV depending on where your spoonies are from and what there diet is.

And to Hayden...now we get to shoot two sprig and your right!! They are EVERYWHERE...And on a bluebird day they are almost as Guranteed as the spoonies are! Ha some things never change I guess.
hitnrun
hunter

Postby Justin300mag » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:17 am

A buddy of mine has permission to jump shoot birds at a sewage treatment plant. (turd ponds) the only birds on those ponds- Shovelers. How disgusting is that!
Justin300mag
hunter

Postby whiskerbiscuit » Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:36 pm

Justin300mag wrote:A buddy of mine has permission to jump shoot birds at a sewage treatment plant. (turd ponds) the only birds on those ponds- Shovelers. How disgusting is that!

Yummy! hahaha
whiskerbiscuit
hunter

Postby HaydenHunter » Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:51 pm

Justin300mag wrote:A buddy of mine has permission to jump shoot birds at a sewage treatment plant. (turd ponds) the only birds on those ponds- Shovelers. How disgusting is that!
The turd ponds in Coeur d'Alene have many happy mallards hanging out.
HaydenHunter
hunter

Return to Idaho Duck Hunting