lucky number 77

A place to share Idaho bird hunting knowledge and discuss Idaho hunting tactics.

Moderators: donell67, casey_714, jjohnson_714

lucky number 77

Postby twsnow18 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:38 pm

this is my 2nd year waterfowling, my 77th duck this season got me my first band tuesday. thanks cameron. the 2nd two pictures are of my 1 year old lab, my buddy took him out today to see what he'd do with a goose... eventful year so far. shot a full limit of wigeon, shot my first band, first pintail, first redhead, first spoonie and lots of awesome times
Attachments
t2.jpg
t1.jpg
band.jpg
How to start an argument online:

1. State an opinion.
2. Then wait.
twsnow18
hunter

Re: lucky number 77

Postby drakz » Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:22 pm

I've been hunting since I was a little kid and I've never shot a band so you should feel damn lucky!!! Congrats :thumbsup: Ive got to the point where I get antsy everytime I pick up a bird I check the Legs First.... :lol3:
is that my beer?
drakz
hunter

Postby mtbaughs » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:16 pm

Congrats! It took me a few years to get a band. Got two last year, blind luck I guess. Keep at it!
mtbaughs
hunter

Postby waterfowler30 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:33 pm

LUCKY,LUCKY,LUCKY.... I hunted for years, and im talking like 10 before i got a banded bird. I know guys who are in there late thirtys that have never shot one. Don't take it for granted... they usually don't come so quickly. Congrats
waterfowler30
hunter

Postby twsnow18 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:49 pm

wow! i knew that they were hard to get but i did not know that they were that rare around here. between me and my 2 hunting buddies we've killed about 220 ducks and this is the only band any of us have ever shot here. you always see the guys on tv with their lanyards covered with bands, how is that so? are more banded in the pacific and central flyways?

1. State an opinion.
2. Then wait.
twsnow18
hunter

Postby twsnow18 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:50 pm

220 ducks this season**

1. State an opinion.
2. Then wait.
twsnow18
hunter

Postby drakz » Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:12 pm

you always see the guys on tv with their lanyards covered with bands, how is that so?
:lol3: Its because they get paid to go to the x every day of the season. They Follow the Birds all around the country. Plus you would be shocked to find they get them in other ways as well, like hunting with Bows in a Place where a bunch were just banded, they will find ways to cheat a little but I think a full Lanyard Full of them is Obnoxious kinda like how your throwing out Numbers, I'm Just Saying....
is that my beer?
drakz
hunter

Postby Waterfowlhammer » Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:29 pm

It's because they buy them on EBAY!! :thumbsup:
Waterfowlhammer
hunter

Postby waterfowler30 » Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:02 am

There is a ton more banded birds in the Mississippi flyway than anywhere else. I lived in Seattle and hunted there for eight or nine years and never even saw a banded bird get shot. And thats awsome you and your buddies have shot so many ducks in a difficult year like this.... good for you guys. Keep it up whatever your doing.
waterfowler30
hunter

Postby twsnow18 » Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:37 pm

drakz don't even comment when you say things like that. my hunting group is me and my other two 20 year old friends. we have a lot of free time and are on christmas break so we kill a lot of birds. it's not obnoxious whatsoever, i was just saying that to make a point. it's not like any of us even have it as a count on our signature. if you look at my signature, it's actually quite the opposite. people are annoyed as it gets of your jealousy whiny comments on here. and if anyone else wants to know today was my 42nd day waterfowling this season, i have had 5 or 6 days already where we got skunked. thanks for the replies though hammer and waterfowler30, that makes sense i wish i was in the central flyway! but idaho will do :)

1. State an opinion.
2. Then wait.
twsnow18
hunter

Postby BGipson » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:27 pm

I've hunted the Pacific and Central flyways and a lot more were killed in the Pacific that I saw even though I saw about an even number of birds shot in both areas. As a point, I have shot 3 bands in the pacific and 0 in the central but it took me over 300 birds by myself from my first to my second band then the 3rd was less than 150 later. It all comes down to dumb luck really but there are areas that do have higher kill rates. I took my 13 year old cousin on a junior hunt in an area that bands wood ducks during the summer and what do you know his 3rd bird is a banded drake wood duck so there are ways to "up your odds" but it's still just luck in the end. That said... good luck to you all!
Every day I try to be the person my dog thinks I am. If I have accomplished this when my time comes, I feel I will have had a pretty good life.

FowlGrunt Field Staff
BGipson
hunter

Postby woodduck31 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:28 pm

I'm in my 45th duck season and ducks have been my primary hunting focus my entire hunting career. I'm in the waterfowl industry as the designer for Tanglefree waterfowl, ducks and duck hunting are very important in our family and business. With that said, I've never shot a banded bird. My first 25 years were in Eastern Kansas and we shot a lot of ducks, mostly mallards back in those days, none of our friends ever shot a band and I never even heard of one being shot by anyone. The last 20 years here in Idaho which has been one of the best duck hunting areas I've experienced, having hunted from Illinois to Alaska over the years. Never a band though. Both of my boys have shot banded ducks and they are common in Idaho, my oldest shot his first about 8 years ago, but gave it to a kid we were hunting with. My youngest shot his first a week or so later, but not dear old dad. On two occasions I passed up mallards to let a friend shoot and both were banded. I don't very often shoot mallards anymore unless nothing else is flying, so that probably diminishes my odds for getting a band. I prefer to shoot just about anything else, both divers and puddlers, but generally give the mallards a pass. I figure that getting a band at this point would be like Halley's Comet and Mark Twain, I'll probably die when I shoot my first banded duck. My dad, who has hunted ducks since 1940 has shot only one banded bird, a mallard about 5 years ago. I figure that shooting banded birds is the same as shooting tamies :lol3: at least that is what I tell myself every time I pick up a duck and look at his legs.
woodduck31
hunter

Postby BGipson » Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:26 pm

woodduck31 wrote:I'm in my 45th duck season and ducks have been my primary hunting focus my entire hunting career. I'm in the waterfowl industry as the designer for Tanglefree waterfowl, ducks and duck hunting are very important in our family and business. With that said, I've never shot a banded bird. My first 25 years were in Eastern Kansas and we shot a lot of ducks, mostly mallards back in those days, none of our friends ever shot a band and I never even heard of one being shot by anyone. The last 20 years here in Idaho which has been one of the best duck hunting areas I've experienced, having hunted from Illinois to Alaska over the years. Never a band though. Both of my boys have shot banded ducks and they are common in Idaho, my oldest shot his first about 8 years ago, but gave it to a kid we were hunting with. My youngest shot his first a week or so later, but not dear old dad. On two occasions I passed up mallards to let a friend shoot and both were banded. I don't very often shoot mallards anymore unless nothing else is flying, so that probably diminishes my odds for getting a band. I prefer to shoot just about anything else, both divers and puddlers, but generally give the mallards a pass. I figure that getting a band at this point would be like Halley's Comet and Mark Twain, I'll probably die when I shoot my first banded duck. My dad, who has hunted ducks since 1940 has shot only one banded bird, a mallard about 5 years ago. I figure that shooting banded birds is the same as shooting tamies :lol3: at least that is what I tell myself every time I pick up a duck and look at his legs.

Like I said my brother and I have each shot 3 but my dad has yet to get 1 and he has been hunting ducks for well over 30 years now and has shot many more birds than me. My brother and I each have 1 from a mallard, each 1 from a gadwall, 1 pintail, and 1 wigeon so you got a pretty good shot on just about any species if our history means anything haha
Every day I try to be the person my dog thinks I am. If I have accomplished this when my time comes, I feel I will have had a pretty good life.

FowlGrunt Field Staff
BGipson
hunter

Postby HaydenHunter » Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:56 am

Took me 12 years to shoot my first band. The year after that I shot 3.

woodduck31, I am amazed that you have never shot a banded bird. I know you like widgeon. I have never seen a banded widge. I have seen / shot banded pintails and this year saw a beautiful banded redhead shot in N Idaho. One of these days when you least expect it you will take a bird from the dog's mouth and see that shiny jewelry attached to the leg.
HaydenHunter
hunter

Postby woodduck31 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:52 am

I can't even imagine how many thousands of ducks I've shot in my lifetime. My standard response when I pick up a mallard these days is "dang I shot the band off again"

I don't worry about it much, I feel like the band hunting creates a competition factor in hunting that just doesn't work for me. Of course that's easy for me to say at this point and may be more of a sour grapes thing.

I got really soured on them with the first band that was shot in my hunting group about 8 or 9 years ago.

Bands are just one of the things that has grown into something bad, something to grumble about. My dad has only shot one, sent the info in and threw the band away, and isn't that what the purpose for banding was. Now the band has become a bigger prize than the bird it was on, bigger than the experience of the hunt. A neck band puts a bird on death row, a goose has got to think "oh crap" when they slap that thing on.
woodduck31
hunter

Postby HaydenHunter » Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:19 pm

Don, I have to agree with you that the focus on bands is overrated. But I will tell you that for those of us that cherish hunting for it's indelible memories and favorite reminiscences with friends and family (you are among this group) the experience of harvesting a bird with a band can be right up there. I remember in detail the story surrounding every band I have harvested. Some rank among the most vidid memories I can remember...like Hoss walking through the flooded grass with a beautiful drake mallard upside down in his mouth. On it's leg was the first band I ever shot. It was on Thanksgiving Day 2006. One of the numbers, hit by a pellet, was completely un-readable and it remains the only un-reported band I have harvested, to this day. Another favorite image was shooting at a mallard that continued to fly until it abruptly dropped like a stone across the river in waist-deep snow on a steep bank. Hoss bounding through the snow until he came to a stop. In a deep snow crater lay the banded bird. And then there was the day of my first ever limit of only drake mallards...one of them coming up banded.

I know you probably have similar experiences of special moments where you or one of the boys dropped a beautiful Eurasian Widgeon. That's what it feels like.

The bands hang on my lanyard. I am not a guy who is compelled to have a string of shiny metal around my neck but the bands do remain a great reminder of special moments in the field.
HaydenHunter
hunter

Postby woodduck31 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:06 pm

I think I'm destined to do without, almost cursed or though it seems. I think I probably will die when I shoot a banded bird, most likely from a heart attack brought on by disbelief. I guess in that regard, the band will surely be a memory for whoever is with me :lol3:
woodduck31
hunter

Postby BGipson » Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:09 pm

Definitely! I can recall each of my banded birds clearer than any others. My first was a suzie I jump shot when I was 9 or 10. I rolled her over and asked my dad what the heck was on her leg, he'd never shot 1 so we called the number and had a blast finding out all the info about that bird. I haven't looked at that sheet since I got it but I can still tell you it was banded at Tule Lake, CA. The gadwall was a shot I maybe shouldn't have taken cuz it was passing at water level 50 yards out; my brother said "bet ya can't hit it!" so I popped up and rolled it with 1 shot. Dog came back and it was banded and my brother just laughed and said he gave it to me. The pintail was a very old drake that set in nice for my brother and me and we both had to hit it before it came down. Before the dog even gets close enough for us to see the bird clearly my brother says, "It's banded" jokingly, then he rolls it over and sure enough there's that old band. I love those birds for the memories they gave me and the great stories my mind comes up with about their lives. I can only imagine what they have seen in their years of travel before I shot them. Just my take on it

FowlGrunt Field Staff
BGipson
hunter

Return to Idaho Duck Hunting