Electronic Decoy Ban

A place to share Idaho bird hunting knowledge and discuss Idaho hunting tactics.

Moderators: donell67, casey_714, jjohnson_714

Electronic Decoy Ban

Postby the_cactus_kid » Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:12 pm

Washington currently has a ban on electronic decoys, and they're proposing to lift that ban. One Idaho guy commented that he thinks the ban is good, and prefers just traditional deeks, even though he admits the mojo ducks, for instance, work really, really well.

So I thought it was worth throwing out here. What percentage of Idaho waterfowlers agree with this guy?

Here's his quote:

“Stick to your guns, Washington. Ban the Mojo Duck! I’ve hunted waterfowl in North Idaho for 30 years (always on public land) and have seen this one device turn a great tradition of decoying ducks into an Arms Race.

“Last season my 11-year-old son and I were the first hunters in one of our local marshes. We had our traditional, non-mechanical decoys in place before the sun came up and I know from many years of hunting this area that we were in is the best spot. Shortly after shooting hours, several hunters arrived with a spread of traditional decoys and two spinning-wing decoys.

“Our competition limited in several hours while we didn’t get another shot. This was a very frustrating for me since I wanted my son to have a quality hunting experience.

“Hunters shouldn’t have to purchase a very expensive gadget just to be competitive in the field. If the purpose of hunting is to kill more ducks than by all means we should keep this Mojo legal.

“I applaud the state of Washington for banning the mechanical-winged decoys. If Idaho has the courage to make them illegal also, I will be happy to make my Mojo Mallard a very expensive lawn ornament and never use it in the field again.”
the_cactus_kid
hunter

Re: Electronic Decoy Ban

Postby nvmudhenkiller » Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:38 pm

They should lift the ban in my opinion. You don't have to break the bank on a mojo anymore. Why wouldn't you want something that can give you a better opportunity to kill more birds. I used to be totally against the mojo ducks,I thought they used to scare every duck in the ountry away from your spread but if used right you can hammer them. Mine was the. Best $80 I've ever spent on my decoy spread.
nvmudhenkiller
hunter

Postby HaydenHunter » Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:22 pm

I had one when they first came out and then went without one for a few years. I enjoyed that time tremendously. There is an aesthetic to a decoy spread devoid of battery-operated devices spinning a whirring. I now have a spinner again. I got tired of watching the guys with multiple spinners suck in the birds even when I knew I was in a good spot.

I hunt in Oregon a couple of times a year and appreciate not being able to use them. Everyone is on equal footing when these decoys are not legal.

I would not shed a tear if they were outlawed but it will never happen.
HaydenHunter
hunter

Postby hntndux » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:15 pm

Id like to see them banned nationally, I feel they educate the ducks too much, by the time they get to cali. there are 1000's of them up and down the Valley, and I really think a large number of ducks figure them out and it affects hunting in general. I had one of the original robo's 3 weeks after the guy in cali started building them, it was incredable, I sent one to a friend in Sand point, he used it at the refuge in Bonners and said the first year knowone killed a duck till he turned it off... They also made successful duck hunterrs out of people who couldnt call a duck to save their lives. But now? theres alot more quality callers and I would like to see the difference if they were banned...
hntndux
hunter

Postby dukhunter73 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:05 pm

i have 2 mojos that i use early and mid season but i dont even bring them out late season the birds seem to pick up on them and they seem to hold up at 45 to 50 yards and not finish.
SW Idaho
days 75
dukhunter73
hunter

Postby mojocoot » Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:48 pm

Wouldn't break my heart if they banned them. As was said before, I think mojo's have taken a lot of the other strategy out of the sport. Especially early season, you don't even have to know how to call or scout for good spots. Throw out a crappy spread with a mojo or two and you will get results. Banning them would definitely widen the gap between guys who know what they are doing and guys who don't. Not sure it will happen, but I don't really care either way. If they keep allowing them I will use them. If they ban them i'd be just fine with it as well. One question though for the original post... does he have a problem with the really fancy expensive decoys as well? Fully flocked decoys are more expensive than a mojo, and in my opinion having good looking decoys makes as much difference (or more in some situations) as the mojo. 80 bucks is a drop in tehe bucket when you start looking at the cost of a spread of those new Avain decoys or many others like them. Not saying you need the most expensive gear to have good shoots, but mojo's are not the only thing that give some guys an advantage over others.
mojocoot
hunter

Postby thunderbolt » Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:56 pm

The way I see it the mojo is just one of the many tools in a waterfowler's huge arsenal. There are so many tools that increase effectiveness and half of the time you have to know when you should or shouldn't use a mojo anyway. I don't know why anyone would be mad at newbies having fun and getting into ducks. Everyone knows that they don't work all the time anyway and knowing when and how to use one is more important than just having one in your spread. I agree that other skills need to be learned as well such as scouting, calling, and putting in time but to say that hunters who have mojos don't scout or call as well would be a lie. I don't know why everyone acts like they are some unfair advantage like the poor duckies don't have a fair chance against the big bad mojo. Mojos definitely don't come with a limit of greenheads inside the box. It takes a lot more than a mojo to be successful in this game.
"I'm officially issuing a NO-FLY ZONE"
thunderbolt
hunter

Postby waveslider » Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:29 am

100% Ditto - What he said..... :lol:
Internet Scouting Pro Staff
waveslider
hunter

Postby blugoose » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:43 pm

Well if we dont want to pursue ducks with fair chase you boys that use the spinners might as well go shoot flighted ducks. Live decoys,baiting,sinkboxes were all made illegal in 1918. Why? because they worked and it was unfair to the birds. Flashing imitates birds grabassing on the pond to then so they come check it out. So does getting out of your blind to take a leak. The birds are curious. Duck hunters are now duck shooters and we have lost a fine tradition because the feds are a bunch of tree huggers now with no balls.
blugoose
hunter

Postby waveslider » Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:52 am

Bluegoose,

I see the point you were trying to make but comparing Mojo's to Sinkboxes, live decoys and Baiting is misleading. The majority of legislation in 1918 for the Migratory Bird Treaty Act was a response to the market hunting of wildlife and alongside it included much more stringent limits for waterfowl that essenitally took a lot of the commercial aspect out of waterfowl hunting.

Truthfully, the limitations on methods for hunting go arm and arm with the bag limit regulations and should be adjusted accordingly and in conjuntion (IMHO). For example, did the states that outlawed electonic decoys increase their waterfowl limits? NO. Why? They can't.

But claiming that potentially inflamatory practices like bating, sinkboxes and live decoys were outlawed because they were against fair chase practices is not accurate. They were thrown out because the market hunters were cleaning out the marshes and trust me, they didn't give a hoot about fair chase.

Fair chase is a personal decision and (like SO many other things) shouldn't involve regulation by the government. Again, in my opinion.
Internet Scouting Pro Staff
waveslider
hunter

Postby FlyFishingFreak » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:35 am

I think every one of us have used them and shot birds over them. But why? We watched other people "steal" ducks from us. Ducks up 60 yards listening to your calls looking and thinking, then cup to the mojos. And we thought "I have got to get one of them." No one likes going out hours before sunrise, being cold, hungry, and never taking off the safety.
I'm with everyone else I think. Either way I'm cool. It takes skill to kill ducks without one. But remember it takes some skill to kill ducks with one too. I've taken mine out and not had ducks look at all. I got rid of them a few seasons back.
Personally I don't like them and don't want them unless I'm field hunting.
But I don't think they should be banned legally. Just my 2 cents.
FlyFishingFreak
hunter

Postby the_cactus_kid » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:26 pm

Interesting diversity (as I suspected)... Thanks for the input!
the_cactus_kid
hunter

Postby IdahoSkies » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:48 pm

I am succumbing my self to the electronic spinner. I had to many days of sitting next to someone with a spinner and have the ducks work my spread only to catch sight of the spinner and drop right into someone else's lap. It truly is an arms race. I don't like it, but its join 'em or go home and put my gun away without needed to clean it.
IdahoSkies
hunter

Postby BGipson » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:40 pm

I would support the decision either way. I love the sport too much to let a piece of equipment get me in an uproar. I too got 1 of the original robo ducks a few weeks after the guy in CA created it and got to use it on my first youth hunt. As an 11 year old kid it was awesome getting to see ducks work that close because nobody in my family could call at that point in our fowling career. Now I have been duck hunting for 15 years and have seen very mixed results with them over the years. I prefer not to hunt with them unless I am in a field but that is just me. I have noticed that if another group is nearby with a mojo you will often "lose" your flock to them unless you can be super aggressive and convincing with your calling. I'm rambling but long story short, to each their own.
Every day I try to be the person my dog thinks I am. If I have accomplished this when my time comes, I feel I will have had a pretty good life.

FowlGrunt Field Staff
BGipson
hunter

Return to Idaho Duck Hunting