new guy

A place to share Idaho bird hunting knowledge and discuss Idaho hunting tactics.

Moderators: donell67, jjohnson_714, casey_714

new guy

Postby idaphoto » Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:45 am

Hi there,

I recently found your site and thought I'd jump in here and introduce myself. I have only been duck hunting two years now and wow. . . it sure grabs ahold of ya doesn't it? I hunt mostly with my 13 year old son, who is even more obsessed with duck hunting than I am. We are in the stage right now where we are just putting in our time on public ground in southwest Idaho and trying to figure things out through trial and error. I'm loving the process and we have learned a ton this year. Already looking forward to next year!

Take care! -Richard
idaphoto
hunter

Re: new guy

Postby twsnow18 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:05 pm

get a lab puppy and train it all summer to be a duck dog, gives you something to do and work for all summer!
How to start an argument online:

1. State an opinion.
2. Then wait.
twsnow18
hunter

Postby waveslider » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:06 pm

Richard,

Congrats on finding duck hunting and thanks for taking the 13yr old. Plenty to do in the offseason to keep you connected (aside from searching for sales on duck hunting gear).

The one thing that really hindered my development around duck hunting as a kid (I was that 13yr old not that long ago...) was I didn't start learning to call until much later. If you can find a way to get in close with a truly good caller, the enjoyment factor of the experience goes WAY up. Kind of like the earlier poster said about having a dog (although I don't have one right now).

One of the things that gets missed in the "learning curve" around calling is that you can become a competition caller and have NEVER hunted ducks. Meaning....learning the various calls and sounds is only a portion of the experience (a small portion). Its the part about learning WHEN to make the sounds where you really grow as a duck caller and without someone to mentor you its a long tough road. Trust me, I know.

You don't have to be a great caller to shoot ducks. Anyone who has forgotten their calls or had the intestinal fortitude to not call to ducks while hunting knows that you can do quite well with all other things being equal. Its just that for me, the enjoyment of interaction is so much greater. Probably because I was a turkey hunter before I was a duck hunter. So get a few CD's and duck calls (despite what you see you do NOT have to spend $200 on a duck call) and make it a habit of you and your son practicing when you're out driving around in the truck to soccer practice or whatever.

A few of my suggestions include:

CD's - Big Guy's Best Duck Calling CD -Breaking the silence. One ofthe best in terms of learning the sounds and the cool part is there are tracks where he makes the sound and then there's time for you to make the sound. So you really get to hone in on it.

Duck Calls: A great call to start on and is still on my lanyard is a Haydel's RegLeg Mallard Call. Its easy to blow (takes a bit of air but that's OK) and it sounds very ducky. Some of the Duck Commander mallard calls are also good (lord knows THEY know how to call with them) but I haven't found them to work for my particular style. And then the Zink PH1 Polycarbonate call is also ducky sounding in my opinion and usually comes with a CD as well.

Another cool thing to do especially with the season over is to go to park ponds and other places that ducks like to congregate and just watch and listen. You usually see something cool like a duck you haven't seen before or a wierd feather pattern and things. Plus you get to hear what you are trying to emulate in the field. My wife and I still love going to where ducks congregate just to be around them all year.

Anyway, my opinion is worth every penny you paid for it. Welcome and enjoy.
Internet Scouting Pro Staff
waveslider
hunter

Postby idaphoto » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:19 pm

Hey, thanks for the welcome and the thoughtful posts! We will definitely be working on the calling and shooting in the off season. Appreciate the suggestions!
idaphoto
hunter

Postby BGipson » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:52 pm

Welcome to the addiction!

First and foremost, thank you for getting youth involved! I completely agree with waveslider about getting started on calling early. I started hunting ducks when I was 8 but didn't start to focus on calling until 10 years later when I was starting college in South Dakota. It was a long and tedious road because I had to teach myself. Get started in the off season and work up from the basics, quack and feeding chuckle. A call I would recommend is the RNT Quackhead J-Frame. It is a polycarbonate double reed that is very easy to blow and has a good ducky sound to it, plus it's only like $20. In addition, if/when you decide to upgrade to a more expensive acrylic or wood call, RNT makes them and they will feel much the same in your hand. That's just my 2 cents, use it as you wish. Happy hunting!
Every day I try to be the person my dog thinks I am. If I have accomplished this when my time comes, I feel I will have had a pretty good life.

FowlGrunt Field Staff
BGipson
hunter

Return to Idaho Duck Hunting