Spring Snow Hunts

A place to share Idaho bird hunting knowledge and discuss Idaho hunting tactics.

Moderators: donell67, casey_714, jjohnson_714

Spring Snow Hunts

Postby USCGHunter » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:37 pm

Hey,

I was looking for some info on the idaho spring goose hunts, I live in Western Washington i would not mind driving for a spring goose hunt, never did one before. Are there any guides in SW Idaho during the spring snow hunts? Whats the limit? Is the spring season usually pretty good?

Any help is appreciated
Refuge Decoys Pro Staffer
USCGHunter
hunter

Re: Spring Snow Hunts

Postby goosepond » Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:34 am

Guiding for waterfowl is illegal in Idaho except for 4 grandfathered in East Idaho but they cant hunt anywhere the snows are due to their permits, youll have to do your own here :clapping:
goosepond
hunter

Postby rweb » Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:56 pm

fishandgame.idaho.gov will give you a lot more info if you are still interested but getting into the snows is a lot harder than most people think. it is tough to even know if there will be any snows in the area during the season. last year was a total bust in area 3 the snows showed up the very last day of the season.
rweb
hunter

Postby unregistered » Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:00 am

If goose guiding is illegal in Idaho that is fine with me I will just spend my money in Oregon and Washington Idaho can say goodbye to my license fee money and the funds I would've spent on guides , lodging, food and travel I guess maybe I will have to go to Arkansas where there is a fabulous spring conservation goose hunt too !!! :beer:
unregistered
Newb

Postby goosepond » Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:36 am

Thats like way cool take your money else where its no skin off of our nose. That way you can let Idahoans keep and manage their own natural resources without fighting the rich and famous. The few bucks you would have spent, is more than made up by the little areas we have left that we dont have to fight guides and their clients to hunt. Good luck elsewhere :clapping:
goosepond
hunter

Postby id.remwingmaster » Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:38 pm

THANK YOU :bow: 1 less out of stater!!! :thumbsup:
id.remwingmaster
hunter

Postby dukkhnter » Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:04 pm

unregistered wrote:If goose guiding is illegal in Idaho that is fine with me I will just spend my money in Oregon and Washington Idaho can say goodbye to my license fee money and the funds I would've spent on guides , lodging, food and travel I guess maybe I will have to go to Arkansas where there is a fabulous spring conservation goose hunt too !!! :beer:

Perfect. If you have the money to go to Arkansas why wouldn't you do that anyway? Idaho is not a destination mecca for snow goose hunting. The season is a either boom or bust... and limited access.

With a minimal season any money you would have paid to a guide would have went to an out of state guide traveling here to do the guiding... not a resident anyway.
dukkhnter
hunter

Postby band killer » Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:56 am

Anyone pound on any snows today? Couldnt make it out but plan on hunting quite a bit this season. Hope someone got
out there for the opening.
band killer
hunter

Postby whiskerbiscuit » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:04 am

I really wish I had snow goose decoys. I haven't seen very many this year but I did spot a good sized flock going into a field I may get permission on...Maybe they'll come in to some honkers?
whiskerbiscuit
hunter

Postby Waterfowlhammer » Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:42 pm

whiskerbiscuit wrote:I really wish I had snow goose decoys. I haven't seen very many this year but I did spot a good sized flock going into a field I may get permission on...Maybe they'll come in to some honkers?

I doubt it with the honker deeks. You may get lucky and have them fly over. Snows are a lot harder to get to commit without a bunch of deeks out there.
Waterfowlhammer
hunter

Postby swanpig » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:32 pm

Take your oldest crapiest honker decoys and paint them white you only need a few, set them up closest to where you anticipate the snows to land. Then get 30 or 40 cloth diapers and nail them into the ground behind your dekes and enjoy the shooting.
Gettin er done, one duck at a time!
swanpig
hunter

Postby IdahoSkies » Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:30 pm

I was out toward Parma today and there were a number of flocks coming through as well as some in the fields. Good hunting.
IdahoSkies
hunter

Postby smock1123 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:53 pm

I see this post is a year old but hope I might scratch up some interest. I'm in baker city and looking to hook up with some guys to do some spring snow hunting. Let me know if anyone is looking for a guy to go. Have access to 300-400 rags some kites and flyers have a few layouts as well. Thanks jeremy
smock1123
hunter

Postby Slidellduckhunter » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:20 pm

swanpig wrote:Take your oldest crapiest honker decoys and paint them white you only need a few, set them up closest to where you anticipate the snows to land. Then get 30 or 40 cloth diapers and nail them into the ground behind your dekes and enjoy the shooting.

Swanpig is correct...back in Louisiana we had only blues and snows and for the snows you can just about use anything soft and white and vaguely goose shaped and flappable in the wind and it will work.
Do you know why Cajuns don't hunt elephants? Because the decoys won't fit in their pirogues!
Slidellduckhunter
hunter

Return to Idaho Duck Hunting