Nesting Material for Goose Nesting Tubs????

A place to share Idaho bird hunting knowledge and discuss Idaho hunting tactics.

Moderators: donell67, jjohnson_714, casey_714

Nesting Material for Goose Nesting Tubs????

Postby waveslider » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:22 pm

Hey guys,

I'm hoping someone here has the scoop. I'm going to make a run down the river to fill all the various goose tubs and nesting platforms with material sometime this week. Only problem is....I don't know what to put in them? I'm a duck hunter but maybe helping out the geese will give me good duck karma.

Anyway, I am assuming that something like straw bale material or something like that would be good but how do you "anchor" it so that it doesnt just blow away? Or should I just take a machete and cut a bunch of tules off and put it in there?

Any ideas?? Thanks in advance. I'm going to ask on one of the other forums to see if anyone has any ideas.
Internet Scouting Pro Staff
waveslider
hunter

Re: Nesting Material for Goose Nesting Tubs????

Postby FlyFishingFreak » Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:11 am

I know any short grass will work. the birds will usually make their own nests and will pull their own feathers out to line the nest. There were a bunch of alfalfa fields by my old work and there would be tones of geese nesting in the fields. not much to their nest just a small bunch of grass and a bunch of feathers.
I appreciate you giving back to the wild. we should all do more, then we'll all have more.
FlyFishingFreak
hunter

Postby dukkhnter » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:51 pm

We fill them with bark.

I'm not sure where you are located but the Snake River islands in the Deer Flat sector are closed starting Feb. 1st. I was down there this weekend and the geese are already pairing up.

The Idaho Waterfowl association already filled the boxes between Payette and Weiser.
dukkhnter
hunter

Postby waveslider » Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:21 pm

When you say bark, do you mean like wood chips? The same stuff you would put in your landscape beds? Thanks and I'm not in the area you mentioned and yes they are pairing up now (so are the woodies)
waveslider
hunter

Postby dukkhnter » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:54 pm

Like the landscape bark but a little bigger, almost chicken egg size pieces. I think you have to make sure it does not have pesticides in it because some does. We always get it from the fish and wildlife service.
dukkhnter
hunter

Postby waveslider » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:04 am

Cool. That helps. Thanks
waveslider
hunter

Return to Idaho Duck Hunting