New to Idaho

A place to share Idaho bird hunting knowledge and discuss Idaho hunting tactics.

Moderators: donell67, jjohnson_714, casey_714

New to Idaho

Postby BGipson » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:11 pm

Hey all! As the subject says I'm new to Idaho and don't have the slightest clue how to hunt this state. I have hunted in a couple other states over the last 15 years, most recently Colorado and South Dakota. If anyone has some tips for a "new guy" or is willing to have me along I would be happy to contribute however I can. I'm decent on the calls, have a decent field spread for geese, have a dog and a small jon boat. I'm out of the Cambridge area but am more than willing to travel as much as work will permit. Thanks in advance guys!
Every day I try to be the person my dog thinks I am. If I have accomplished this when my time comes, I feel I will have had a pretty good life.

FowlGrunt Field Staff
BGipson
hunter

Re: New to Idaho

Postby Waterfowlhammer » Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:54 pm

:welcome:
Waterfowlhammer
hunter

Postby IdahoSkies » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:10 pm

Welcome. Idaho is not a big water state, though there are some big water places. Buy an Idaho Gazetteer, check out the boat launches and sportsman's access points. that is about the best I can tell you. Folks play their spots tight to the chest as access can be pretty tough. Just know that most ponds freez up end of novermber and you have to look to moving water after that. Hope that helps. Welcome to the state of the free.
IdahoSkies
hunter

Postby BGipson » Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:37 pm

Thanks guys! I'll hunt anywhere I can find birds. I'll get a gazette but I really like to do my pre-scouting on Google Earth because it gives me a better feel for the areas. Do birds hit the fields much in the fall? I have seen them around this spring in some fields but I know things can change drastically by fall.
Every day I try to be the person my dog thinks I am. If I have accomplished this when my time comes, I feel I will have had a pretty good life.

FowlGrunt Field Staff
BGipson
hunter

Postby IdahoSkies » Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:17 pm

Yes they do. The key is finding a field you can actually hunt. In Cambridge that is probably less of a problem, but down in SW Idaho, it is mighty hard to get access to fields if you are new (at least fields that regularly get birds).
IdahoSkies
hunter

Postby BGipson » Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:14 pm

Alright awesome! I really enjoy field hunting because of the responsiveness of birds to calling. In my years of hunting I've had pretty poor results with calling over water (except CO where they came on a line to my calling), but fields seem to clean the wax out of their ears or something haha Would you happen to know what size of canadas typically come through here? Are they cacklers, lessers, or full-size "honkers"? Sorry for all the questions. I just like to get as much of a feel for an area as I can

FowlGrunt Field Staff
BGipson
hunter

Postby woodduck31 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:37 pm

moffits canadas around here, fairly average sized, 9lbs or so. They are crazy easy to decoy on water, but field hunters like duck slayer hammer them.
woodduck31
hunter

Postby BGipson » Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:28 am

Thanks for all your help! I've got a couple goose floaters that should do just the trick if I can find an area they're using otherwise I've got a full field spread if I can get permission somewhere. I'm pretty laid back about who I hunt with as long as they are ethical and safe so you are welcome to hunt with me anytime.

FowlGrunt Field Staff
BGipson
hunter

Return to Idaho Duck Hunting