No posts for 10 days?

A place to share Idaho bird hunting knowledge and discuss Idaho hunting tactics.

Moderators: donell67, casey_714, jjohnson_714

No posts for 10 days?

Postby GanderCommander1 » Wed May 24, 2006 8:00 pm

Guys, I know that I don't spend much time at Duck Hunting Chat but we need to generate some interest here and start posting up more often. I will make an effort to do so myself, but it will take the same from many others to keep us all coming back on a daily basis. Casey and JJohnson, is the 714 a birthdate or a Babe Ruth thing? Also, how is the boat coming and do you have any new pictures to post? We should all try to get together this Summer at the trap range or a Barbeque.
GanderCommander1
hunter

Postby jjohnson_714 » Wed May 24, 2006 11:41 pm

yeah sorry i've been moving lately... just finished up college, now im heading to virginia beach for a month or so... the 714 is our addy...

as far as the boat goes, i havent had too much time to work on it, but i did manage to get half the blind built... casey will be posting up pic's... i did however get our ground blind frame together today, so that's good... all i need to do now is find time to get it camo'd... we are also hoping to get the boat painted here pretty soon, but arent quite sure what color... we are thinking a mud brown of some sort so it just looks like a little island or something...

also im game for a bbq or to shoot some trap... i wont be able until july though... well at least i think, im not sure when i'll be back from virginia yet...
jjohnson_714
State Moderator

Postby casey_714 » Wed May 24, 2006 11:49 pm

Hey GC! Yeah one week, everyone will start posting a ton, and then the next... nothing.

Anyways, I am definatly game for trap shooting/barbeque! That would be awesome, and I'm suprised we don't have anything like this all ready. Maybe we could do that the same day that HaydenHunter wants to trade me decoys (I think he's intimidated by us :umm: )

So we do have a couple new pictures for our boat. These are just pictures of the one completed side. Pretty soon we'll have both sides of the boat blind built, with the camo on it. Also, we plan on painting it here pretty soon too.

Ok. Here is a close-up of the front. Notice the vertical support bar. It has a pin that comes out, and the whole side of the blind will fold down.

And here's a further view of it.
casey_714
State Moderator

Postby GanderCommander1 » Thu May 25, 2006 12:06 am

Thanks for posting up guys. Hey, don't forget to camo or cover up those big chrome "frog eyes" on the bow. Ha! It may be hard to decoy in any birds because you might blind them all on the way out to your spot on the opener. If it were my boat, I would probably go with a blend of colors and make some sort of stencil for spray painting in some grassy patterns. I would camo the motor and anything else that will be exposed outside of your blind material. Looks like a fun project. Have you had the boat in the water yet to test out the motor, etc?
GanderCommander1
hunter

Postby casey_714 » Thu May 25, 2006 12:10 am

GC, yes we've taken it out. It runs great! I love it!! We are definatly camoing the motor, headlights, and all that stuff.

About the paint job on the boat.. We're trying to decide if we want to camo/stencil it, or just paint it a plain, brownish color. I camoed my jon boat and then cut my own stencil, and painted that on there. However, we're wondering if a brownish, plain color would be better, to make it look more like a little mud island or something.

Your thoughts anyone??
casey_714
State Moderator

Postby HaydenHunter » Thu May 25, 2006 7:29 am

casey...not intimidated, hahaha, just busy this time of year and not inclined to think about hunting gear disposal until the pace breaks a bit. I did buy 3 dozen G&H honker floaters from Donell67 on a trip to Boise earlier this year, so the surplus of dekes in the cull pile has risen. GanderCommander will tell you that I have a wide variety from like new to needing major paint help. Gonna sell them at various prices depending on condition. My wife is being very patient at how the growing honker spread has filled up the garage but there is a limit to everything.

I have driven over 6000 miles since 5/1 and spent very little time in N Idaho so the only duck stuff I am doing is through posts on the computer. :help:

Regarding boat color, I just sold my last boat which was a Nat Gear brown based camo. I really like that color for blending in with the sandy / rocky banks we hunt in the Panhandle. My brand new Gator Trax is painted in o.d. green and I am going to camo it myself. I am torn as to whether it should get a large pattern, military style camo job or something smaller like a shadowgrass. I actually think large camo blotches break up the profile of a boat better than extremely detailed pattern. If it works for the military there must be something to it.
HaydenHunter
hunter

Postby casey_714 » Thu May 25, 2006 12:59 pm

HaydenHunter.. I knew that my remark would make you post up! My master plan worked :laughing:. Anyways, yeah it does sound like you've been pretty busy! I have 14 goose decoys right now. My brother and I just now bought 2 dozen inflatable goose decoys, and 3 dozen shells we're going to convert, then after we get together I'll have some more, so needless to say, our goose spread is growing rapidly (we all ready have all of the duck decoys we will ever need).
casey_714
State Moderator

Postby GanderCommander1 » Thu May 25, 2006 3:38 pm

Casey, I too thought over the years that I had all the decoys that I would ever need. You will find that the more you hunt waterfowl the more decoys you will need. Are you hunting only on the water, going to hunt out in a field, going after divers, etc., etc. I have updated many of our decoys because the ones made today are more realistic in their paint jobs and positions. Many of my old decoys just looked like decoys. I am a firm believer in quality decoys over quantity of decoys. It drives me nuts everytime a new catalog comes in the mail. Now, I am leaning towards more motion in the spread, like Windlife Heads and a new flag.
GanderCommander1
hunter

Postby jjohnson_714 » Thu May 25, 2006 3:59 pm

yeah we have everything we need for hunting on the water... we have yet to find someone with a field though... but as far as dekes go... well im really not sure how many dozen we have, but we have everything from wigeon to bluebills... and they're all only a season or two old :thumbsup: not to mention the lucky ducks we got on walmart clearance... i think we might be able to compete with the 'superflocks' of ducks that always group up downriver from us this season...
jjohnson_714
State Moderator

Postby casey_714 » Thu May 25, 2006 5:33 pm

Well I had to count our decoys just to remind myself. We've got 15 dozen duck decoys including bluebill, redhead, bufflehead, mallard, pintail, gwt, and widgeons. We also have 6 lucky ducks, 1 mallard machine, and 6 dozen geese (most on the way in UPS).

Most of our dekes are GHG, some Herters, and some Flambeau.

Basically I think we are set. But you're right.. If we ever find a field we wont have any decoys (except for some geese that we're getting are shells).
casey_714
State Moderator

Postby jjohnson_714 » Thu May 25, 2006 5:35 pm

have you guys tried that weasle ball in the decoy thing? im thinking about trying that this year, but im not exactly sure how to do it...
jjohnson_714
State Moderator

Postby InTheDecoys » Thu May 25, 2006 9:55 pm

Got enough spinners jeez... :cool:
InTheDecoys.... Take em
InTheDecoys
hunter

Postby casey_714 » Thu May 25, 2006 10:19 pm

We bought most of them after last season on clearance. Thought maybe we could make a few bucks :thumbsup:
casey_714
State Moderator

Postby HaydenHunter » Sat May 27, 2006 8:16 am

Casey...I bought a bunch of Buddy heaters on super clearance for the same reason...heaters for me and my freinds...and make a couple of bucks.
HaydenHunter
hunter

Postby jjohnson_714 » Sat May 27, 2006 3:32 pm

yeah the only bad thing is that mojo's and lucky ducks havent been going for anything on ebay... so i guess we might keep them until they pass a law where we cant use them... then... well... i dunno they might make a good lawn ordament...
jjohnson_714
State Moderator

Postby GanderCommander1 » Sat May 27, 2006 6:58 pm

Just a couple thoughts on the lucky ducks you guys have. If you set up all six in your spread you will either pull in every duck for miles or scare them away. You will have to try it and find out. Try to set them up at different heights- some almost touching the water and others on higher poles(find the conduit that fits and spray paint it flat black). You will also find that their effectiveness will decrease as the season progresses, the juvies get shot up, and the older birds have seen them a thousand times and learn to stay away. If you don't have any remotes for them, and I just assume you might not at about $50 apiece, then I would not use them at all if you are strictly hunting for geese. Only use them for the first hour or so in the morning and then either shut them off or remove them for the day. Jake and I have one lucky duck yet we have found that we use it less and less each year. Most days anymore we set up for geese and the ducks still come in. It doesn't work well the other way around.
GanderCommander1
hunter

Postby donell67 » Sat May 27, 2006 10:33 pm

we dont use spinners much anymore either. ive watched ducks flare from other hunters. the ducks would come into about 100 yards and flare off. i think they work pretty good early season but thats it. i wish we had more geese on the water we hunt. lots working the fields late season but hardly any working the water. they do roost nearby where we hunt but come in after hours.how many goose decoys do you have now haydenhunter, did you say you were gonna sell them.
donell67
Forum & State Moderator

Postby HaydenHunter » Sun May 28, 2006 10:19 am

donnell:

I have the 36 you sold me and the 18 I had...all G&H. Those I will keep. I go out a lot with GanderCommander and Jake, and together we can probably put out a spread of 100 that way.

I probably have another 50 to 60 other floaters. Some pontoons...might keep them for field hunting, but will probably sell most.

I spend thousands on boats and motors but am a cheap SOB when it comes to dekes. I take unusual delight in finding a good deal on used, quality dekes, such as yours, and constantly upgrading my spread in that manner. I like quality dekes; I just have a problem buying them new. GanderCommander does not have that problem. I am surprised the is still married with all the dough he spends on dekes :toofunny: .
HaydenHunter
hunter

Postby duckaholic41 » Sun May 28, 2006 10:38 am

I think your so right . I would like to see more topics and more hunters from my own area .As much as I like talking and seeing what you boys up north are up to, it would be nice to get with sum guys from the Boise area.sideslippin and the new guy are the only ones I know of.
duckaholic41
hunter

Postby donell67 » Sun May 28, 2006 12:37 pm

duckaholic i am in the boise area.haydenhunter was on a road trip and picked up the dekes. thats alot of goose dekes haydenhunter. i bet you guys really pull the geese in.
donell67
Forum & State Moderator

Postby HaydenHunter » Sun May 28, 2006 12:52 pm

Donnell,

Sometimes you can set out a dozen and slay 'em, and sometimes you have to throw everything but the kitchen sink at 'em. Depends on the spot and how much pressure (i.e., other groups) there is, as well as wheher we are trying to look like a small group or a big roost.
HaydenHunter
hunter

I think I stirred up some action!

Postby GanderCommander1 » Sun May 28, 2006 1:32 pm

This is great. From no posts in 10 days to about 25 in a couple. A big spread of dekes is when you take out two boat loads of dekes so that you can hunt out of one. But every day is different with the weather and wind direction, the way the birds decoy or not, movement on the water or dead calm, amount of birds in the area, the list goes on and on. And sometimes the birds have their mind set on going somewhere no matter what your spread looks like, how good your calling is , etc. That is the really fun part of the sport for me- getting birds that want to go somewhere else to come over and give us a close look. I usually let Jake do the calling, especially for geese, and he has been known to bring birds over just after they have been shot at by other groups of hunters. If you are a good caller, then keep calling until they lock up. Jake can talk back to the birds and basically mimic what they are sounding like. If you are not the greatest caller, then just give them a few clucks and moans and don't overdo the calling. Just keep them interested in what you have to offer. We don't have to get a limit to have a great time. Let the birds work and get em in close. HaydenHunter can attest to how close they can get sometimes.
GanderCommander1
hunter

Postby duckaholic41 » Sun May 28, 2006 1:39 pm

I ussually start with 4 mechanicals,about 6 dozon mallard dekes and only a dozon goose dekes , but by mid Nov I've already ruduced my spread to adozon mallards, 1/2 dozon teal ,A few pintails and a few geese, I leave the mojos @ home . No fields . But I also only hunt the water, Someone pleeeeaaase take me field huntin. I know I have no shame :laughing:
For every action theres REACTION!
duckaholic41
hunter

Postby casey_714 » Sun May 28, 2006 6:20 pm

Duckaholic, I'd take you..... but we don't have any fields to hunt in either! So someone else can please take me.. :thumbsup:
casey_714
State Moderator

Postby GanderCommander1 » Sun May 28, 2006 8:02 pm

Guys, field hunting is a blast. If the set up is right and you are well hidden(this usually means you have to have layout blinds and sometimes with snow covers)you can't believe how close the geese get in the kill hole. Field hunting also requires alot of scouting for days to see if the birds are feeding in the same field, and different decoys that can mostly be used just for field hunting. The biggest problem is trying to get permission and sometimes just difficult to locate the landowner. Usually the hard work that all goes in to field hunting pays off and the hunt can be very memorable. But the price of gas now might limit the amount of miles I will drive to locate that birdy field.
GanderCommander1
hunter

Next

Return to Idaho Duck Hunting