No posts for 10 days?

A place to share Idaho bird hunting knowledge and discuss Idaho hunting tactics.

Moderators: donell67, jjohnson_714, casey_714

Re: I think I stirred up some action!

Postby HaydenHunter » Sun May 28, 2006 9:05 pm

[quote="GanderCommander1"]I usually let Jake do the calling, especially for geese, and he has been known to bring birds over just after they have been shot at by other groups of hunters. quote] True story: On our very last outing of last year Jake called back the first flock of the day, about 12 birds. They came over the hills in the distance, heard Jake's first calls, and locked from what seemed like a half mile out. They were locked all the way. About 300 yards out, this bozo set up in their path skybusted at the birds when they were a good 80-90 yards up and bearing down on us. Of course, they flared.

They circled on up and seemingly towards the path of freedom when Jake hit them with all he had (call wise). I will be double danged if they didn't make a big circle and come back into our spread. It was a thing to see; they were clearly shot at, but our location, spread, flagging and Jake's calling suspended their disbelief. They ended up coming right into our spread. It was a thing to see.
HaydenHunter
hunter

Postby duckaholic41 » Mon May 29, 2006 10:10 am

Hopefully the prices will drop. The prob with gettin a field down here is Boise ,Meridian area is in the top3 growin city in the nation rite now and all the land is bein developed . If you do find one its ussually leased.Fields I used to hunt pheasantin are all gone. or theres houses built up around them.
For every action theres REACTION!
duckaholic41
hunter

Postby GanderCommander1 » Mon May 29, 2006 1:18 pm

Duckaholic41, I think that is a trend we are seeing just about everywhere in Idaho. Farmers are selling off the land for a ton of money and housing developments are going in. Sure hate to see them sell out like that. I imagine over time that the birds in your area will just fly farther from the roost to feed. Try to find a field, get permission, set out a lot of decoys, flag alot, and see if you can pull the birds away from where they really want to go.
GanderCommander1
hunter

Postby justakiller » Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:14 am

donell67 wrote:we dont use spinners much anymore either. ive watched ducks flare from other hunters. the ducks would come into about 100 yards and flare off. i think they work pretty good early season but thats it. i wish we had more geese on the water we hunt. lots working the fields late season but hardly any working the water. they do roost nearby where we hunt but come in after hours.how many goose decoys do you have now haydenhunter, did you say you were gonna sell them.
I use to think the same way. But; the past 2 years I have had the chance to hunt with guys that have mastered the art of motion decoys. They use them all season every season and have no problems with flaring birds. I still dont use them cuz I hate packing em around. BUT.....they are still deadly if you can figure out the system.
justakiller
hunter

Previous

Return to Idaho Duck Hunting