Lets take a poll

A place to share Idaho bird hunting knowledge and discuss Idaho hunting tactics.

Moderators: donell67, jjohnson_714, casey_714

Lets take a poll

Postby duckaholic41 » Mon May 29, 2006 10:19 am

I' want to buy a mechanical for on the water .One that splashes ,moves around And has good flash. I dont want another that sits up on a pole. Not a lot of set up ,somthing i can pick up fast if I want to move
For every action theres REACTION!
duckaholic41
hunter

Postby GanderCommander1 » Mon May 29, 2006 1:31 pm

There are quite a few options depending on if you are looking for battery powered or jerk cord operated. If you don't want anything that is attatched to a pole then your options are limited. Check out Cabelas or Macks Prairie Wings for what is available. The only thing that I usually use for motion on those calm days is a Bigfoot goose floater on a jerk cord set up. I use a heavy weight with a bungie cord attatched to the weight and the decoy keel. Pull on the cord and the decoy bobs up and down creating movement and alot of ripples on the water. Sometimes only a couple pulls is needed to get their attention. Nothing better than the cheap, homemade gadgets that work great.
GanderCommander1
hunter

Postby casey_714 » Mon May 29, 2006 3:56 pm

There are the mallard machines, but you have to lug around a battery for that.
casey_714
State Moderator

Postby Idahofowlweather » Thu Jun 01, 2006 6:13 pm

they make lots of products... I also like the mallard machine and is worth all the wieght that comes with it....

here is an Idea that I am going to do!

take a spinner that has a pole that you can adjust the water level to and buy an extra pair of wings then rivit or bolt on some stiff straps of rubber to the wings on one side of the wing so when it is around water level it slaps the water and makes a spash... I have seen and idea kinda like this and am willing to try it out with one of my spinners.... I will post a pic of the idea when I build it!

Jake
Idahofowlweather
hunter

Postby justakiller » Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:19 am

Idahofowlweather wrote:
take a spinner that has a pole that you can adjust the water level to and buy an extra pair of wings then rivit or bolt on some stiff straps of rubber to the wings on one side of the wing so when it is around water level it slaps the water and makes a spash... I have seen and idea kinda like this and am willing to try it out with one of my spinners.... I will post a pic of the idea when I build it!

Jake
Sounds like a Wonder Duck to me......do you want one for free........if I can find it.
justakiller
hunter

Postby duckaholic41 » Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:52 am

I've been lookin at those and thats what Ive decided on. But Im willing to pay you for it
duckaholic41
hunter

Postby casey_714 » Sun Jul 09, 2006 12:19 pm

justakiller wrote:Sounds like a Wonder Duck to me......do you want one for free........if I can find it.

Now that sounds like a good deal duckaholic! I bought a mallard machine, but carrying around the battery is annoying. I may sell it and buy a wonderduck instead.
casey_714
State Moderator

Postby duckaholic41 » Sun Jul 09, 2006 1:40 pm

Yah I va to many that are on poles and they seem to flair the birds later on. I looked on tere web site and they have so many dif options for use. and only one to carry in to huntin spot.I need to be mobile and I hunt by myself most the time . I'm thinkin bout makin a pack fore my dogs :toofunny: :toofunny: :toofunny:
duckaholic41
hunter

Postby justakiller » Sun Jul 09, 2006 5:06 pm

duckaholic41 wrote:I've been lookin at those and thats what Ive decided on. But Im willing to pay you for it
I have no idea where it is. havent used it in 4 or 5 years.......let me look around and if I can find it you can have it.
justakiller
hunter

Postby olivehunter » Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:36 am

I like to steer clear of the mechanical decoys all together. For what they cost you can rig up almost 2 dozen floaters. I have seen the mojos flare more ducks than they bring in. Just my expierience though.
olivehunter
hunter

Postby swanpig » Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:30 pm

They only flare ducks at the end of the season in my opinion. You couldn't pay me to put a rotating wing decoy out on the snake this time of the year!
Gettin er done, one duck at a time!
swanpig
hunter

Return to Idaho Duck Hunting