Let's hear what you are adding to your spread for 2006

A place to share Idaho bird hunting knowledge and discuss Idaho hunting tactics.

Moderators: donell67, casey_714, jjohnson_714

Let's hear what you are adding to your spread for 2006

Postby GanderCommander1 » Sun Jun 04, 2006 12:46 pm

I have no immediate plans to add any new decoys to our spread for this season. BUT, I am going to improve upon the decoys I have and add some more motion. The big project now is flocking. I bought up a couple kits of Iron Fuzz to do up all the heads on my Bigfoot floaters. Also bought up some Windlife decoy heads. Not cheap, about $22 for 3 heads, but they make the decoy come alive in the breeze. Probably also going to get some GHG motion stakes and more flocked sleeper heads for the shells and floaters. I guess where I am headed is fewer decoys that look more like real birds than decoys. Sleeper decoys, especially late season on the ice edge with a few floaters is a great setup. If anyone has used the GHG motion stakes, let me know how you like them.
GanderCommander1
hunter

Postby duckaholic41 » Sun Jun 04, 2006 1:06 pm

I also am going for a little more motion. I mostly hunt ducks so I'm thinken I mite try a few more blowup deeks they work pretty well. I have to walk a bitto my spot so I invested in one of those decoy dollys, juust waiating for the ups to bring it. Five dozon and and three motion is gettin heavy for this old man :toofunny:
For every action theres REACTION!
duckaholic41
hunter

Postby jjohnson_714 » Sun Jun 04, 2006 1:12 pm

ours new item is going to be geese... every day we are out we watch this big flock of geese upriver call in just about every bird that is flying by... so we bought a bunch of shells and ive been practicing my goose call when i drive, so hopefully we'll be good to go by the time season comes around... im also going to buy some more bluebill dekes because they seemed to work wonders having them on the edge of the spread, but most of them have dissapeared somewhere so i'll need to replace them...
jjohnson_714
State Moderator

Postby HaydenHunter » Sun Jun 04, 2006 7:00 pm

I want to add some redhead and bluebill dekes.
HaydenHunter
hunter

Postby jjohnson_714 » Sun Jun 04, 2006 10:46 pm

we never had bluebills swarm our dekes until we put a few ghg's on the edge of our spread... when they take their flyby to check everything out its pretty stinkin neat... they are so blasted fast...
jjohnson_714
State Moderator

Postby casey_714 » Mon Jun 05, 2006 7:19 pm

Hey GC, have you used that Iron Fuzz stuff before? How much does it cost? The only reason I'm asking is because I think I'm going to flock the heads on the goose shells we just got.
casey_714
State Moderator

Postby GanderCommander1 » Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:53 pm

Casey, I have used the Iron Fuzz once to do about 2 dozen silo heads and 4 Bigfoot original full body heads. I recently bought 2 kits from Goosebuster( sponsor on the Goose Hunting Forum at the Refuge Forums) that they had on sale really cheap. Sale is over now though. I believe the kits now are about $30 each. Very good durable product and the finished product really makes any decoy look more lifelike. I plan to do about 2 dozen floater heads this summer. Preparation is the key to success. I sand down the heads and necks for better adhesion, repaint the bills and cheek patches, wipe down the areas to be flocked with acetone(a fast drying cleaner to remove any oils or residues from the making of the decoys in order to get them out of the molds easily), apply the "glue"which looks like very thick black paint. Last step is to apply the flocking fibers heavily, press them into the glue, tap off the excess, and then hang them to dry. I do this in a cookie pan to catch all of the loose fibers. The decoys that I have done look like they will hold up for many years.
GanderCommander1
hunter

Postby side-slippin » Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:55 pm

im redoing the whole spread, bought 2 dz full curl pros, also goin to get a dz ghg sprigs, and a few ghg teal, just to mix things up a little. also thought about a half dz box of woodies too, i want one really bad. i've already got two mojo's (1 jr, and 1 full size) and i picked up a mallard machine at walley world for 50 bucks, so i think i got enough motion. if i got enough money left, im goin to get me a really nice goose spread for the field. probably goin to wait until cabelas opens up here in boise to get that though. shipping would probably be to much.
"Augustus...
...by-god Woodrow, it's been quite a party ain't it.
...yes sir."
side-slippin
hunter

Postby casey_714 » Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:12 pm

Wow... I never knew it took that much work. We have 3 dozen shells and 3 dozen floaters that I planned on flocking... I don't know if I have the time to do 72 heads!

So do you use white flocking, or just paint the cheeks? Do you take the time to paint the eyes?
casey_714
State Moderator

Postby GanderCommander1 » Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:57 pm

Casey, I touch up the cheek patches alittle bit with flat white rustoleum brush paint. No, I ususally don't worry about the eyes too much. If a bird gets close enough to notice that an eye looks funny, it should end up dead. It will take you awhile to do all of those heads and the Iron Fuzz would cost you $140 plus. Are we really flocking the decoys to bring in more birds closer or to make the decoys look real nice to us? Probably alittle of both! Use old beat up decoys, most of the paint missing, no flocking, and paint the eyes red- you will probably still kill some geese.
GanderCommander1
hunter

Postby casey_714 » Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:19 pm

Yeah that's probably true. I guess I could just flock the nicer looking ones, and set them up to where they are more noticeable to the geese.

My next question is have you ever converted shells to floaters? I'm thinking of taking pipe insulation, cutting it in half longways, and them gluing it to the bottom outsides of the shells. That way they can still stack. The only thing I am worried about is wind... I think it would tip them over.
casey_714
State Moderator

Postby GanderCommander1 » Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:58 pm

I have never done the conversion, but many guys on the Refuge Forums have with good success. They either use the pipe insulation or a 4x8 sheet of 2inch foam board and cut out the shape to fit inside the shell. I think that it would take some big wind to tip any over. Where would you attatch the anchor without a keel?
GanderCommander1
hunter

Postby casey_714 » Wed Jun 07, 2006 5:45 pm

I'm not sure how well it would work, but... I could put a little hole in the shell behind the neck. Then have the line attatched right there. I think maybe I could make some sort of clip inside of the shells to hold the line at different depths, or for storage. I don't know.. The more I think about it, the more time consuming it is.
casey_714
State Moderator

Postby GanderCommander1 » Wed Jun 07, 2006 6:34 pm

Duck boat, flocking, decoy conversion, etc., etc., etc. Where does it and when does it end? I was going to say never but opening day is probably a better answer. Ha! You will still be trying to work in these types of projects when you are my age. But that is the obsession and passion of waterfowl hunting.
GanderCommander1
hunter

Postby casey_714 » Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:18 pm

As long as I remember that I'm doing it all for "fun" by choice, I'm ok. I just have to keep reminding myself that.
casey_714
State Moderator

Postby widgeon1013 » Mon Jun 19, 2006 3:34 pm

due to my recent loss this is going to be a big year for me...well see...boat is in production though....(:

1 - New layout boat
2 - New dekes (divers & some puddlers)
3 - maybe mud motor for the layout....
"There is always one more river not to cross, but to follow" ~ E. Abbey
widgeon1013
hunter

Postby Idahofowlweather » Mon Jun 19, 2006 5:19 pm

Well, Lets see.... I have made 32 coot decoys this year out of old mallard decoys and they look sharp.... I cut the bills down and then melted them shut and shaped them like a coots bill....

I have added some thick straps of rubber to my spinners wings so they will hit the water and make some splashing, got a nice deep cycle for my mallard machine.

Ordered 24 GHG mallard field decoys with the slotted bags that should add to my 2 dozen duck decoys I already have and 15 full body geese... A Vortex with two more spinners so that should make 5 spinners in the fields,( should be a funnel of ducks this year in the corn)

I really can't wait till the season starts, They should make coots legal this time of year :yes:

Jake
Idahofowlweather
hunter

Postby casey_714 » Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:07 pm

Haha... what's with you and coots anyways? :umm:

That rubber on the robo's is a good idea. I just might have to try that :mrgreen:
casey_714
State Moderator

Postby Idahofowlweather » Tue Jun 20, 2006 8:42 am

casey_714 wrote:Haha... what's with you and coots anyways? :umm:

That rubber on the robo's is a good idea. I just might have to try that :mrgreen:

you can shoot 20 of them a day!
Idahofowlweather
hunter

Postby duckaholic41 » Thu Jun 22, 2006 4:39 pm

what do you do with all of them man. They taste awfull and they smell worse!
For every action theres REACTION!
duckaholic41
hunter

Postby casey_714 » Thu Jun 22, 2006 11:58 pm

I really do think that you can make coots taste good. I haven't done it myself yet, but people say the exact same things about mergansers. They say how awful and horrid they are..

My brother and I shot some mergansers last year and cooked them up. They weren't as good as a mallard, but they're still edible.
casey_714
State Moderator

Postby jjohnson_714 » Fri Jun 23, 2006 12:04 am

with enough worchestersire sauce, soy sauce, and garlic powder you can eat anything... probably even my hunting boots :thumbsup:
jjohnson_714
State Moderator

Postby Idahofowlweather » Fri Jun 23, 2006 12:36 pm

duckaholic41 wrote:what do you do with all of them man. They taste awfull and they smell worse!

I'm a Chef by trade so I can make anything taste good... I love coot finger steaks and most of the time I just make coot breast jerky... I have had people tell me that I make the best duck jerky when they are eating coot... I don't both telling them I just keep feeding them...

Jake
Idahofowlweather
hunter

Postby GanderCommander1 » Fri Jun 23, 2006 5:38 pm

I guess I don't quite understand the need to shoot coots. Unless you are totally unable to decoy and call in some mallards, teal, widgeon, etc. or geese, then go for it. At least you will have something at the end of the day. I have hunted for many, many years and I have never had the urge or need to shoot a coot. Kind of like going pheasant hunting and bringing home some crow. Yum-Yum!
GanderCommander1
hunter

Postby Idahofowlweather » Fri Jun 23, 2006 6:19 pm

gc,

no problem shooting Ducks but when times are slow and ducks are not flying I shoot coots, I like to watch my dogs work and it is not fair to them if they are not having fun... Its all about the dogs with me... they need marks and I need target practice, and they really are tasty if done write...

Jake
Idahofowlweather
hunter

Next

Return to Idaho Duck Hunting