Let's hear what you are adding to your spread for 2006

A place to share Idaho bird hunting knowledge and discuss Idaho hunting tactics.

Moderators: donell67, jjohnson_714, casey_714

Postby Idahofowlweather » Fri Jun 23, 2006 6:26 pm

here is a pic of Koda and Deezel... this was Deezel frist hunt at 8 months old and not much to shoot at so I took out a few mud hens so he could get some action...

Jake
Idahofowlweather
hunter

Postby duckaholic41 » Sat Jun 24, 2006 10:24 am

I have to agree with you, Its about watching the dog, its also a little self gratifying :toofunny: . I have heard that coot jerky is pretty good . Mamabye we can trade sum recipes.Maybe we can do that during a hunting trip together Im in the same area, I hunt the payette. Sideslippin to and if we can ever hook up ? :salude:
For every action theres REACTION!
duckaholic41
hunter

Postby justakiller » Sun Jul 09, 2006 5:03 pm

GanderCommander1 wrote: Unless you are totally unable to decoy and call in some mallards, teal, widgeon, etc. or geese,
This statement kills me. You dont understand why a guy would shoot a coot so you insult his abilities. How do you know what his abilities are??? Trust me when I say........the guy has no problems calling and killing puddle ducks or geese.
justakiller
hunter

Postby GanderCommander1 » Mon Jul 10, 2006 5:52 pm

justakiller, I am just having some fun with this thing for shooting coots. I really don't think that Idahofowlweather was offended by my post and it wasn't meant that way. I sure as heck don't see why you would be so ruffled by it.
GanderCommander1
hunter

Postby justakiller » Mon Jul 10, 2006 6:12 pm

GanderCommander1 wrote:justakiller, I am just having some fun with this thing for shooting coots. I really don't think that Idahofowlweather was offended by my post and it wasn't meant that way. I sure as heck don't see why you would be so ruffled by it.
Thats the problem with the internet.......hard to tell how some things are meant.......I apologize :oops:
justakiller
hunter

Postby Idahofowlweather » Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:01 am

I'm sure glad we got that out of the way!!! :laughing:
Idahofowlweather
hunter

Postby justakiller » Tue Jul 11, 2006 4:41 pm

Idahofowlweather wrote:I'm sure glad we got that out of the way!!! :laughing:
Hey.............YOU STARTED IT!!!!! :getdown:
justakiller
hunter

Postby casey_714 » Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:00 am

All that nonsense talk about shootin coots :yes:
casey_714
State Moderator

Postby justakiller » Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:17 pm

Nonsense.......dont let IFW hear you talking like that. IMO.......the only good coot is a dead coot. "They need killing". :getdown: I would shoot coots.......but my dog is a little more discriminating; on what she will and wont retrieve, than Jakes. She is better than coots :yes: That's my wife in her.
justakiller
hunter

Postby GanderCommander1 » Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:55 pm

Come on guys, you are going to get me started again. I have alot more to add to this topic, some of it pretty damn funny, depending on how one might interpret it. I will agree that the only good coot is a dead coot. I quess I will just have to leave the killing to you guys. Interesting to know-the dictionary gives a couple definitions for coot. 1.) a "duck-like" bird. 2.) a harmless simple person. With that, I could really add some funny stuff, but my lips are sealed.
GanderCommander1
hunter

Postby justakiller » Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:23 pm

Gander-
I was hunting one day; when my dog was young. It was terribly slow....other than the flocks of common mergansers that I couldnt seem to keep out of the decoys. :help: I felt bad for the dog so I decided to whack some of the mergansers. Next flite came in and I smacked her 2 or 3 of em......cant remember and I did water swat the first round :getdown: Anyhow.......the dog swims out ........smells the birds.....and comes back. I send her again......same thing......she wouldnt touch the dang things. By this time they are down river quite a ways and I figure I better go get the birds.......dont need a huge ticket for letting a crappy old merganser float. I slipped on a rock and it was just deep enough to come over and in the waders.........THAT WAS THE LAST TIME i SHOT A BIRD FOR THE DOG!!! :withstupid: I gotta laugh at how that looked. I must confess though; I have shot 2 coots for myself out of frustration since then :yes:
justakiller
hunter

Postby GanderCommander1 » Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:50 pm

justakiller, I also have a dog/merganser story to tell ya. Last season was my pups 1st season and Drake(MBL)was only 9 months old. I had been training very hard with him but he hadn't quite made the transition from retrieving a thrown dummy to retrieving a shot bird. He had made several attempts over a few hunts but would not pick up the bird in his mouth. Then, on one of those very slow days- yet not so slow that I would shoot a coot, my son Jake takes a pass shot and drops a merganser. I send Drake out of the boat and he makes his first retrieve. I had always hoped that it would have been a fat mallard or a banded honker, but no, I have to always remember this as his special day. I thought the merganser in his mouth was going to ruin him for good. Ha! But Drake has turned out to be a great buddy and on another hunt went 7 for 7(six widgeon and a drake redhead). I tend to remember less his first retrieve and more on his first goose last season.
GanderCommander1
hunter

Postby Idahofowlweather » Thu Jul 13, 2006 7:05 pm

come on guys you need to teach you dog to be scoopers by labs will pick up anything I tell them... (you guys need to train better)

Its nice to lay in the chair and say fetch to the remote on the ground and the dog picks it....

JustaKiller come on man you know you will shoot anything when I am around because you know I have Fine Bred Waterdogs that will do it all... :umm:

GC1 I remeber you taking pics and talking about training your lab.... Bumpers are nice but you really need to get some birds for the dog, Koda Last year had had 40 doves and 60 pedgeons and lots of frozen mallards before his frist Duck last year.. I have seen it time and time again of guys spending all summer training with plastic and then comes Oct and they shoot a duck and the dog breaks on the shot of course and makes a nice water mark and then bumps the bird and comes back... and they just can't figure it out.... also guys will cripple a honker and the dog will run out their and get it's Azz kicked by the bird and will ruin the dog becaue it dosn't know that birds are fun... and it just got beat up by one...

No funny stories to tell about my dogs just lots of stories about all 300 great marks last year! :getdown:
Idahofowlweather
hunter

Postby GanderCommander1 » Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:44 pm

IFW, I don't quite understand your post. You may want to read mine again. I didn't ask for any advise on training methods. I didn't go into any detail about how I train Drake or what I use in training. Sometimes you young guys crack me up thinking that you know everything. But, I guess I matured out of that stage years ago. Drake is exactly what I wanted out of a lab. He is great with people, a great family dog who lives in the house with us, he is a great buddy and even goes to work with me everyday, and will bring many birds to the boat for years to come. I couldn't be happier. He hasn't been FF or CC- sounding like a professional trainer I am sure that you know what that is. I am wondering if you are just trying to pay me back for the coot thing or what. The story was just about a special day when something clicked in his little brain. It will be a day that I will never forget.
GanderCommander1
hunter

Postby casey_714 » Thu Jul 13, 2006 10:10 pm

GC, that sounds like something that would happen to me :toofunny:

Just try to keep thinkin about that first goose :yes:
casey_714
State Moderator

Postby Idahofowlweather » Fri Jul 14, 2006 7:30 am

GC1,

you said in your story that he was bumping birds and then is just clicked with him after a few hunts... All I was saying was that you trained hard in the summer like you said and then your dog was not doing what you trained for when the hunting season started....that is why I said train with real birds a few time...

I don't know everything but I sure know how to train dogs... you said he is not CC or FF as for CC some dogs don't need it but if you pay for High energy Trial Blood dogs then your going to need it... as for FF I'm glad that you want to half Rearend train your dog, but their is so many + to doing it.. Like when it is really cold outside and your dog has made 4 water marks already and then he refuses to enter the water (because he lives inside and has weak winter coat) then what ? one littel word "Fetch" solve all the problems....

Don't take this the wrong way I might be young and have lots of opinions and you might think I'm just a young blow hard but trust me I have grown up hunting since I could walk and have probley spent more time in the fields then half of the guys on Net!!!! you can learn alot from young guys too... Duck hunting has changed since you were a Kid and it seems to me it's the young guys at the boat launches in my area that have limits...

If your ever in my area (during the season) give me a p.m. I would like to hunt with you and Jake to see how hard core you guys are!!!

Jake
Idahofowlweather
hunter

Postby GanderCommander1 » Fri Jul 14, 2006 1:34 pm

IFW, only a few last comments. You are assuming by your statements that I haven't hunted since I was a kid, and that Jake and I are hardcore. Shooting limits of birds doesn't mean squat to me- its about getting out with your hunting buddies and dogs, decoying and calling in birds, etc. You will never see me posting up my running totals of birds for the season. That's not what it's about for me. And if Drake hesitates on making that 5th icy plunge(by the way he understands many words and fetch is right up there at the top of the list), then I fire up the motor and praise him for the 4 great marks he made that day. You and I don't look at things the same way. Thanks for the invite, but I really don't think that I am up to shooting coots just to see the dogs work. I will still view this site, but you won't see me posting up here anytime soon. Hope you all have a great season.
GanderCommander1
hunter

Postby jjohnson_714 » Fri Jul 14, 2006 2:15 pm

jjohnson_714
State Moderator

Postby jjohnson_714 » Fri Jul 14, 2006 2:26 pm

alright i think its time for me to start doing my job and say enough is enough... no more on this subject :thumbsup:

on another note here is this to lighten everyones moods

www.badgerbadgerbadger.com
jjohnson_714
State Moderator

Postby Idahofowlweather » Fri Jul 14, 2006 3:33 pm

Don't run off! please I love reading your many post on this site...
Idahofowlweather
hunter

Postby Idahofowlweather » Fri Jul 14, 2006 4:18 pm

Okay this all started about me shooting coots so I looked at GC1 Post on the fuge and found out that he has never had coots come in his spread so he has never shot one... I really think you should give it a shot and taste it before you knock it... be careful what you post on the net it always can bite you... I didn't mean to knock on how hardcore you and Jake are... and I really only shoot 30 or so coots a year it is not like I plan on hunting limits of them...

I added coots to my spread becaue in my area coots are all over and mixed with them are other Ducks... so why wouldn't you use a confadence decoy...? Why is GHG making them ? and why did over 300 customers on Averys Board asked for them? trust me it helps..

Also GC1 will you shoot G.E. Bills, Buffs ?

Jake
Idahofowlweather
hunter

Postby justakiller » Fri Jul 14, 2006 5:49 pm

Jake-
Lady is a "house dog"..........she dont seem to mind dodging ice to pick up 2 or 3 limits of birds :salude:
justakiller
hunter

Postby HaydenHunter » Fri Jul 14, 2006 7:33 pm

Gents:

Since the advent of public internet bulletin boards guys have been taking something someone said the wrong way.

I say we all let this thread die and keep everyone's valuable participation and contributions to this board coming.

And yes, Idahofowlweather, I hunt with GC1 and Jake and we will hammer redheads and bills if that is what is flying. :hammering:
HaydenHunter
hunter

Postby casey_714 » Fri Jul 14, 2006 7:43 pm

I agree... I'm taking action and locking down this thread :hammering:
casey_714
State Moderator

Previous

Return to Idaho Duck Hunting