Waterfowl in South Idaho

A place to share Idaho bird hunting knowledge and discuss Idaho hunting tactics.

Moderators: donell67, jjohnson_714, casey_714

Waterfowl in South Idaho

Postby Dmac » Mon Jun 26, 2006 9:20 am

Yeah I'm new to this site but retired to kill ducks and geese here in the magic valley area.
Can anyone tell me about the local WMAs is the hunting pressure heavy?? :help:

I have one son 18 and other 6 I've lost the 18 year old to the grils for a while but the 6 year old is going to scout some fish dinner this weekend at Niagara Springs WMA P.S. seen any muskrats :cool:

I've been looking a a new canoe one with a square tail for mounting a small outboard and flat bottom so I can duck hunt and trap out of it. I'm looking forward to hunting this January 2006 in Idaho. Who hunts the Snake River?????????

Well I had a great time in Idaho and yes I saw what I needed to see as far as local Duckssssssssssss they all look like henssss the drakes have no color it was cool to see them like this. The weather was great and I'm excited about duck season. My brother and I went to sportsmen warhouse and shouldered a New Xtrema 2 beratta WOW.
Going scouting this weekend L@@Kin for a place for my brother and I to hunt Ducksssssssss and geese 2006-2007. as well as looking muskrat signs for trapping season.

Ok I need some honest advise on shotguns for Cold Idaho weather teens or less I have a benelli supersport and thinking of the Xtrema 2 ko 30" gas . My question is will my benelli operate in severe COLD. It works fine in heavy rain and mud. Integra vs Gas ?????

Winter is coming soon the ducks are getting colors and I'm getting ready for some very cold duck huntin on the river and creeks, Full bodies and floaters this is going to be gooddddd :thumbsup:
Last edited by Dmac on Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:13 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Dmac
hunter

Postby jjohnson_714 » Mon Jun 26, 2006 9:24 am

?

i dont get it....
jjohnson_714
State Moderator

Postby Greg Wile » Mon Jun 26, 2006 9:25 am

:welcome: To the site but whats up with the :mrgreen: and no script? Happy that there are ducks in South Idaho? :laughing:
Build memories, take a kid out doors and teach them about nature by interacting with it, hunting and fishing.

Learn from the past, don't dwell on it.
Greg Wile
hunter

Postby Gooseboy » Mon Jun 26, 2006 10:12 am

:withstupid:

:spam:
The group ended up with 420 birds.

(\__/) This is my bunny. There
(='.'=) are many like him but this
(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Postby choclab » Mon Jun 26, 2006 12:37 pm

We have sure been getting our fair share of weirdo's lately.
"The rich....who are content to buy what they have not the skill to get by their own exertions, are the real enemies of game". Teddy Roosevelt
choclab
hunter

Postby Captain16 » Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:15 pm

Yeah, I am beginning to wonder?
Captain16
hunter

Postby BurnZ » Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:25 pm

:withstupid: doesn't make much sence to me either??????
BurnZ
hunter

Postby Gooseboy » Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:57 pm

choclab wrote:We have sure been getting our fair share of weirdo's lately.

(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Postby duckbuster06 » Mon Jun 26, 2006 5:12 pm

I love your posts in this thread Gooseboy. So original! :thumbsup:
duckbuster06
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Gooseboy » Mon Jun 26, 2006 9:26 pm

lol thanks??

Gooseboy
Banned

Postby duckbuster06 » Mon Jun 26, 2006 10:07 pm

Haha I was just kidding.( :withstupid: )
duckbuster06
Forum & State Moderator

Postby casey_714 » Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:24 pm

duckbuster06 wrote:Haha I was just kidding.( :withstupid: )

:mrgreen:
casey_714
State Moderator

Postby Gooseboy » Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:28 am

duckbuster06 wrote:Haha I was just kidding.( :withstupid: )

Ok i thought you were mad lol i was like err what?

Gooseboy
Banned

Postby choclab » Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:05 pm

After the new edit, it makes a little more sence..... :toofunny: What state are you from Dmac....lets start there first, then maybe post in your state forum to get a better responce. :thumbsup:
"The rich....who are content to buy what they have not the skill to get by their own exertions, are the real enemies of game". Teddy Roosevelt
choclab
hunter

What STATE

Postby Dmac » Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:50 am

I have lived in Ca. for the past 41 years. Ijust purchased a home in Idaho and plan to move back at the end of this year. :getdown: :thumbsup:
Dmac
hunter

Postby casey_714 » Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:05 pm

:getdown:
casey_714
State Moderator

DUCKSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Postby Dmac » Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:17 am

I can't really say to much about the state refuges here in California last season we had a few good shoots all mixed bags for the most part.
But I'm looking forward to hunting late season in early January in Idaho.
Dmac
hunter

Postby jumpshooter » Fri Jul 14, 2006 8:58 pm

I think he is asking how the duck hunting is in southern Idaho, I have been wondering that myself.
"If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under." - Ronald Reagan
jumpshooter
hunter

Postby Dmac » Sun Jul 16, 2006 9:57 am

jumpshooter wrote:I think he is asking how the duck hunting is in southern Idaho, I have been wondering that myself.

Yeah I've decided to hunt Idaho this year and I've been there this past week scouting the WMAs and rivers the local goose population looks ok but I don't see the numbers of ducks, I put 1200 miles on while in Buhl looking around I retire at aearly age next year for hunting, fishing , and trapping. Sorry for the confusion of my posting this is rather new to me this form. Thanks :thumbsup:
Dmac
hunter

Postby justakiller » Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:30 am

Dmac wrote:
jumpshooter wrote:I think he is asking how the duck hunting is in southern Idaho, I have been wondering that myself.

Yeah I've decided to hunt Idaho this year and I've been there this past week scouting the WMAs and rivers the local goose population looks ok but I don't see the numbers of ducks, I put 1200 miles on while in Buhl looking around I retire at aearly age next year for hunting, fishing , and trapping. Sorry for the confusion of my posting this is rather new to me this form. Thanks :thumbsup:
I wont even screw with the WMA's anymore.......not worth getting out of bed for. If you put 1200 miles and didnt see much........you either didnt open your eyes or you need to go to a different area. I am out and about all the time and there are ducks and geese everywhere.
justakiller
hunter

DUCKSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Postby Dmac » Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:45 pm

you're wright I saw a lot of local geese down in the canyon The geese and there goslings were streching their wings. I didnt see many local ducks, and while I scouted early morning and late evening I saw very few ducks or geese in flite they may still be pin feather after molt?? But I'll be back in town soon and give it a couple more weeks maybe spend more time in the river.
Dmac
hunter

Re: DUCKSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Postby justakiller » Fri Jul 21, 2006 12:08 pm

Dmac wrote:you're wright I saw a lot of local geese down in the canyon The geese and there goslings were streching their wings. I didnt see many local ducks, and while I scouted early morning and late evening I saw very few ducks or geese in flite they may still be pin feather after molt?? But I'll be back in town soon and give it a couple more weeks maybe spend more time in the river.
Last week I went and checked out a spot that has produced good hunting in my family for 50 years. I saw exactly what I expected to see........not a darn thing. Not a duck, not a goose, not even so much as a dove. The moral.....things change alot about mid-sept. and many of the areas you looked may very well be good hunting during season. Gonna go "scouting" in the next week or so......but I dont get real excited about it until the week before the season. Things just seem to change too much and too fast as the season approaches.
justakiller
hunter

Postby Dmac » Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:57 am

Yeah justakiller I agree with you I'm sure about the end of september thing start looking duck like best I can figure I see all the things needed to survie the winter fields of food and open water and springs feeding them to slow the freeze
I'll be in twinfalls on 8/10/06 to show my brother around he'll be coming to hunt ducks and geese this season. I'm looking for a small home and acreage in magic valley area.
Dmac
hunter

Re: Waterfowl in South Idaho

Postby Dmac » Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:18 am

Dmac wrote: Yeah I'm new to this site but retired to kill ducks and geese here in the magic valley area.
Can anyone tell me about the local WMAs is the hunting pressure heavy?? :help:

I have one son 18 and other 6 I've lost the 18 year old to the grils for a while but the 6 year old is going to scout some fish dinner this weekend at Niagara Springs WMA P.S. seen any muskrats :cool:

I've been looking a a new canoe one with a square tail for mounting a small outboard and flat bottom so I can duck hunt and trap out of it. I'm looking forward to hunting this January 2006 in Idaho. Who hunts the Snake River?????????

Well I'm going scouting again L@@Kin for Idaho DuckSSSSSSS and Geese, really My brother and I hope to find good spot for opening day I know it's early for anything but locals this time of year. I was reading on the Rules & Regs. for 06/07 waterfowl only change I've seen so far is we can shoot canvas backs all season as I understand it. I feel like its my first season hunting new area wow life is great when your a duck hunter :toofunny:
Dmac
hunter

Return to Idaho Duck Hunting