2012 Season?

A place to share Idaho bird hunting knowledge and discuss Idaho hunting tactics.

Moderators: donell67, jjohnson_714, casey_714

2012 Season?

Postby Tater_Tot » Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:05 am

Anybody heard any rumors as to the dates for this year's season. Trying to figure out what days to request off for the season opener and haven't seen anything from fish and game yet.
Tater_Tot
hunter

Re: 2012 Season?

Postby goosepond » Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:05 pm

They are still gathering information, and summarizing the survey that went out to like 1,000 hunters state wide. Probably wont know untill just before the commissioner meeting Aug 18 in Boise at the headquarters.
goosepond
hunter

Postby goosepond » Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:43 am

Here is the link to the F&G website and it shows what most likely the season will be this year and be set for the next 5 years so it doesnt have to be redone over and over.

http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/public/abo ... easons.pdf

Good luck everyone.
goosepond
hunter

Postby drakz » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:24 pm

Its always either the 10th or last year I Believe it was the 15th....I'm hoping for it to fall on a weekend because I will be going....I believe I have a great new spot this year.......its owned by my company and its so desolate and people tresspass on it anyways that don't work for us nor do they know anyone from the company so I'm going to without asking and just go and run off anyone I see.if I ask they say no but they don't care if people tresspas nor do they even pay attention to what goes on on the property so I say screw it.....what would you guys do? if anyone catches me its going to be someone tresspassing so its like duh right...
is that my beer?
drakz
hunter

Postby drakz » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:29 pm

Its a little pond like a puddle that's surrounded by huge bushes....its a duck hideout and no one knows about except me....its an abanded yard and pit....the pond fills from farming irrigation runoff and rain.....sounds like a no brainer....people from work go out there maybe once every 2 years to just make sure no one is dumping crap and garbage...if it was you would you just go....the chances of getting caught are like 1000 to 1.....??????
is that my beer?
drakz
hunter

Postby rookie20011 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:03 pm

COME ON DRAKZ!!!!!!!!!

Trespassing is just that..... TRESPASSING!
rookie20011
hunter

Postby twsnow18 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:51 pm

gotta risk it to get the biscuit haha
How to start an argument online:

1. State an opinion.
2. Then wait.
twsnow18
hunter

Postby waveslider » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:04 pm

You better tell me where it is so I can check it out and let you know if the coast is clear. :yes:
Internet Scouting Pro Staff
waveslider
hunter

Postby drakz » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:10 am

But its not tresspassing.....I have a damn key to the place on my own set of keys........if people can steal the copper out of the building and dump thousands of tires and garbage illegally then I think me hunting on a pond out there keeping an eye on the place and being an employee for the company is the least of my companies worries.....the hard part is finding a boss that takes the responsibility of saying yes..I know for a fact that bosses hunt other pits within the company but this one so off the mind of everyone...that's why I'm thinking just going without asking is a no brainer.... :yes: I do not tresspass or break laws but this is such a dumb situation...the place practically has a new road around the fence from just anyone going in and **** off......no one even knows the pond is there unless you knew it was there....
is that my beer?
drakz
hunter

Postby band killer » Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:45 pm

Shoot em up dude
band killer
hunter

Postby drakz » Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:14 pm

I guess I feel a little guilty because I'm searching for justification.....I asked my boss if I could hunt it and he said "there's no ducks to shoot" thing is this....the company I used to work for got bought out and they closed the place down at this location....no one even knows there's a pond there but it only stays full with rain in the fall and from a neighboring hay field in tthe summer....when it was open years ago I would walk over there and always jump ducks while at work.....if we have a wet part of the season I'm thinking there will surely be ducks using it.....its a typical safe haven for em...thick brush and catails with just enough water to make em happy....its probable 4 miles away from any duck hunters at any given point in the season...I can't not go and then someone say dude why didn't you its not like we care.... :huh:
is that my beer?
drakz
hunter

Postby rookie20011 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:38 pm

The point is

You asked and they said NO.
rookie20011
hunter

Postby waveslider » Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:17 am

The reality is, you should ask and if they say yes - great. And if they say no - bummer. Maybe you can talk them into it

I simply do not, ever, ever, trespass, go over the limit or do anything against the rules for a very simple reason.....I have a really stressful job and my time outdoors is really supposed to be stress free and fun with my wife, friends, nature. I don't need the added burden and stress that comes along with wondering if I'm going to get caught, or "what if someone saw me"... I guess that's why I would be terrible criminal I guess.

Wouldn't it be much sweeter if you could go there with permission and not worry about getting caught or what someone would think if they saw you there? I know if I had a honey hole in my back pocket like the one you describe, I would try my darndest to get permission, not just go without it.

But again, that's me and some people don't think the way I do. Remember, hunting is considered an "inherently dangerous activity" by most states which essentially means you can't sue them if you get hurt, so if the company is worried about lawsuits or something as a result of permission, that fact really prevents anyone from suing if they do get hurt. (I'm not a lawyer and there are obivous exceptions to that but it might help in gaining permission)

Good luck.
Internet Scouting Pro Staff
waveslider
hunter

Postby IdahoSkies » Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:16 am

Is it worth loosing your job over? Because that is what would happen to me in a similar situation. Your job, your call, but know what you are getting in to, and what the consequences could be.
IdahoSkies
hunter

Postby IdahoSkies » Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:18 am

Also,

anyone know the outcome of the F&G meeting yesterday. I'm trying to schedule time for the youth hunt and the opener, I'm betting the youth hunt will be the last weekend in September but the posted white paper has me wondering. They should have set the season yesterday.
IdahoSkies
hunter

Postby FlyFishingFreak » Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:04 am

Youth Hunt is September 29th and 30th. Limits are the same as last year. Im not really sure about the rest of hunting because everything is in zones and I will need atleat a year of hunting to figure out WTH is going on between dark and light geese zones and such.
FlyFishingFreak
hunter

Postby drakz » Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:42 pm

I would not lose my job if I got caught....in fact I sent an email to one of the big bosses yesterday and have had no reply. He hunts one of the properties and I've heard he even has a blind there but I don't know him personally...I've never been told no...I've been told " ill get back to you" or " let me check " and no one ever gives me an anwser because no one knows what to tell me...that's why I'm getting frustrated about it....the property I'm talking about is nothing like some of them....some of them "more than a few" have thousands of birds and I'm scared to ask about them...go figure huh :huh:
is that my beer?
drakz
hunter

Postby goosepond » Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:05 pm

Seasons and limits are as they were proposed. Oct 13 opener zones 1 and 2 Week earlier for zone 3 Cant remember the rest, but you can count out 105 days and get the ending. No splits
goosepond
hunter

Postby Tater_Tot » Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:37 am

goosepond wrote:Seasons and limits are as they were proposed. Oct 13 opener zones 1 and 2 Week earlier for zone 3 Cant remember the rest, but you can count out 105 days and get the ending. No splits

I believe the proposed dates were October 6th for zone 1 and October 13 for zones 2 and 3.
Tater_Tot
hunter

Postby goosepond » Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:41 am

Yepp Yepp Yepp, my bad, I always get 1 and 3 turned around for some reason. :hammer: :hammer:

http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/public/abo ... easons.pdf

http://www.idahowaterfowl.org/forums/in ... pic=1721.0
goosepond
hunter

Postby drakz » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:18 am

So does regular mule season open on the 10th? I'm seeing a few marks on the calender at work in my head!! :yes: so who here has a hard time deciding to go hunt for bucks or ducks? Sometimes like last year opening day of waterfowl can be a blast when the locals are in good numbers but sometimes its just not worth it until around thanksgiving...it would be nice to kill a buck opening day and then get ready for some birds!!
is that my beer?
drakz
hunter

Postby drakz » Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:31 am

Finally got a peep out of the higher ups....its basically a no ask no tell, no large groups type of thing.... :grooving:
is that my beer?
drakz
hunter

Postby waterfowler2484 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:37 am

:thumbsup: Hey Drakz,
I know where your pond is!!!!!!!!!!!! :beer: :beer:
"For every action, theres REACTION!!!"
waterfowler2484
hunter

Return to Idaho Duck Hunting