New to Idaho

A place to share Idaho bird hunting knowledge and discuss Idaho hunting tactics.

Moderators: donell67, jjohnson_714, casey_714

New to Idaho

Postby TeamGreen » Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:32 am

Hey guys,

I recently (2 months ago) followed my job out here to Idaho from Sioux Falls, SD where I was born and raised. South Dakota was really God's gift to the waterfowler. Plentifull birds, ease of permission, ect. I'm really going to miss it but sometimes you have to make tough decisions that are best for your family as well. I'm going to make the best of it.

I'm 28 years old. Canada geese are my passion with mallards a very close second. I'm more of a field hunter but wont turn down a good water shoot if the opportunity presents itself.

I'm looking to meet other guys that share the same passion for waterfowl hunting that I do and maybe find some hunting partners out of the deal. I'll start out by saying that I'm not looking to be just another gun with nothing else to bring to the table. I'm more than willing to put in my share of scouting miles, ect. I have a ton of gear as well. I'll also be purchasing another 8-12 dozen full body honkers before the season starts. I have 6 spinners, several blinds, ect. I'm more than willing to contribute my gear to a group to earn my way.

I also have some good SD pheasant hunting connections that I can share if others are willing to make the trip.

I'm looking forward to contributing to your forum. Shoot me a pm if interested. We can get together and talk hunting over a cold brew.

Thanks guys,
Andy
Cut that sucka'
TeamGreen
hunter

Re: New to Idaho

Postby fowler127 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:16 am

What part of the state are you in?
fowler127
hunter

Postby TeamGreen » Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:13 pm

Boise area.

I'm use to driving a couple hours to scout, ect back home. I'll travel to wherever the birds are.
Cut that sucka'
TeamGreen
hunter

Postby twsnow18 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:10 pm

welcome to the forum! i'm in the boise area myself
How to start an argument online:

1. State an opinion.
2. Then wait.
twsnow18
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:24 pm

Uh Oh!
Looks like he touched down right in the 'belly of the beast'.
Then again, he might have landed in Calif.

Just kidding! Welcome to Idaho!
Even tho I'm saying that from the best (other) side of the state!
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby twsnow18 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:27 am

haha what? eastern idaho? you've got to be kidding. i'd rather be in salt lake then eastern idaho!

1. State an opinion.
2. Then wait.
twsnow18
hunter

Postby rookie20011 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:24 pm

OUCH!!!!!!

SLC over E IDAHO????? COME ON NOW... lol
rookie20011
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:07 pm

twsnow18
Be sure to wave on your way south :hi:
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby TeamGreen » Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:53 pm

Jeez guys, way to confuse the new guy. :help:

Can somebody fill me in on the joke? (I'm not mormon)

Carry on... :beer:
Cut that sucka'
TeamGreen
hunter

Postby twsnow18 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:49 pm

this state runs like this. boise/treasure valley vs. the rest of idaho

when in reality boise has everything a big city does, yet you are still within 30 mins to 1 hour to take part in any kind of outdoor/recreation hobby there is :biggrin:

AND the weather over here isn't miserable for 335 days a year.

1. State an opinion.
2. Then wait.
twsnow18
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:53 pm

twsnow18 got the first part just about right.

"this state runs like this. boise/treasure valley vs. the rest of idaho"

the boise/treasure valley part is like 30 min to 1 hr drive to arrive where 10,000 others will be waiting for you 'cause they left early enough to beat the traffic jams.

E. Idaho (Where I live anyway) is like a 5-10 min drive to ducks, and geese, and deer. 20 min to antelope and Elk. Just north and East there are Moose to be found on every flat spot.

"when in reality boise has everything a big city does"
No doubt he was talking about the crime, traffic, crowds.

"AND the weather over here isn't miserable for 335 days a year."
If you like sitting in the traffic in 90*-100* heat.

Alright, I've poked enough fun at his expense, and I do know there are folks that thrive on big city living, and you could do a lot worse than Boise. There's always SF. LA, and NY. :fingerhead:
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby TeamGreen » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:05 pm

I didnt move to Boise for the urban lifestyle, it was just one of those things you do to keep your employer happy I guess :sad:

I'm more of a farm kid at heart anyway. While I didnt exactly grow up on the farm, a lot of my relatives did. I spent plenty of days around that environment. The one positive is that I'm 2 blocks from 5 Guys when I get a craving for it. :grooving:
Cut that sucka'
TeamGreen
hunter

Postby twsnow18 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:41 pm

haha i could go all day.

you are definitely born and raised in idaho, as am I. but I did live in the midwest for a summer and realize how legit boise is.
if boise has too much traffic and crime for you, you would be begging to live in the most "ghetto" (if you could even call it that) part of boise if you have ever lived anywhere out of this state.

and as far as the weather, it's windy in eastern idaho every single day. cool, it's good weather for duck hunting. well, what do you do with the wind the other 9 months of the year? tonight i was at the lake wakeboarding on the boat until 10pm and the only reason we got out was because it was too dark to see. can't do that over there, it's too damn cold. and by the way. pocatello, rexburg, idaho falls and the other larger towns over there are 100 times dirtier than boise. i can back that first hand.

if your a farm boy at heart, there are farms within 10 minutes of boise. in fact, i live on one and hunt IN eagle, literally. waterfowler2486 can testify to that haha. i just like having a decent restaraunt (like 5 guys, which is delicious by the way) or a downtown at my disposal if i'm hungry or bored of watching the sage brush blow across the highway all day long. :fingerpt:

one more thing for you. this is my friend (dukhunter6853) in the picture. this buck was killed 30 minutes exactly from downtown boise in a sleeper unit, near a valley that holds a few hundred thousand people i might add. 28.5" wide, it takes more skill to shoot limits, bucks, trophies over here against the crowds anyway. anyone can finish groups of waterfowl when they are one of 3 people that live in their county :hammer:

1. State an opinion.
2. Then wait.
twsnow18
hunter

Postby twsnow18 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:41 pm

1. State an opinion.
2. Then wait.
twsnow18
hunter

Postby rookie20011 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:51 am

Only one buck? How many yrs?? lol. I can go all day also.. Ill take my Preston area over Boise any day of the week....
rookie20011
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:11 am

Nice buck anywhere!

Teamgreen,
Don't let us Idaho resident/natives teasing each other put you off Boise.
You will be in Idaho, and anywhere here is a pretty good place to be!

And they have the Boise State Bronco's!
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby Duck-slayer » Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:08 am

Andy your on as many sites as I am..... nice
Matt
Duck-slayer
hunter

Postby IdahoSkies » Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:26 pm

I'm in the Boise area. I used to hunt with my brothers but they all grew up and moved away so now its me and whoever I can russell up. Feel free to PM me.
IdahoSkies
hunter

Postby TeamGreen » Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:09 pm

Matt, probably some you arent on as well, lol. :help:

I'm open to hunt with anyone. I like meeting new people that share the same interests that I have. :thumbsup:

I really enjoy people that don't mind a little hard work. As I'm sure most of you know, it's easy to find guys that will show up with a gun, ready to shoot. I enjoy all aspects of the hunt. It's a lot more difficult to find the guys that are willing to go the extra mile, scout, contribute, ect. I get a lot of satisfaction out of my scouting efforts, expecially when it pays off. Once I know I've got the "x", I have a hard time sleeping that night. There is nothing more magical than first light in the duck/goose blind. Nothing.

I really have little interest in big game hunting. I'm a bird hunter. That probably sounds crazy to my fellow idahoans on here. lol
Cut that sucka'
TeamGreen
hunter

Postby twsnow18 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:08 pm

rookie20011 wrote:Only one buck? How many yrs?? lol. I can go all day also.. Ill take my Preston area over Boise any day of the week....

preston? haha your kidding. yah sorry just one buck, pretty good that we found the "one good buck" over here by the time we were 16

but atleast your in idaho TeamGreen! i'd rather live here than almost anywhere else

1. State an opinion.
2. Then wait.
twsnow18
hunter

Postby rookie20011 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:23 pm

Come on SNOW! If u cant take a joke like that then u have more things to worry about. ONLY WAS MEANT AS A JOKE! Looks like goose/duck season isnt coming fast enough! Sry if i offended u.
rookie20011
hunter

Postby twsnow18 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:16 am

haha i'm not offended no worries, i just can't get enough when people argue east vs. west idaho haha. but yeah, i'm a little moody, still 2.5 months till happiness hah

1. State an opinion.
2. Then wait.
twsnow18
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:43 am

Since it's only two months 'til duck season, you can't be talking about that.

Are you pregnant?
I'm told that moodiness will often disappear after the happy event.

Alright, alright now!
Just a joke.
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby Duck-slayer » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:32 am

TeamGreen, hey why don't you PM me and we will chat over a Corona at my house....
Matt
Duck-slayer
hunter

Postby TeamGreen » Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:40 pm

Duck-slayer wrote:TeamGreen, hey why don't you PM me and we will chat over a Corona at my house....
Matt

By saying Corona, you really mean "Bud Light", right? If so, I'm in. :beer: I'll even supply it.
I'm too high-class for a Corona. :yes:

I'm game anytime.
Andy
Cut that sucka'
TeamGreen
hunter

Next

Return to Idaho Duck Hunting