new to the forum

A place to share Idaho bird hunting knowledge and discuss Idaho hunting tactics.

Moderators: donell67, jjohnson_714, casey_714

new to the forum

Postby 3am » Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:44 pm

Hi all, im marcos and im new to the forum. I"ve been fowling for 6years now all on public land and i've been wanting to see what the private fields are like, so if theres anyone out there that wouldn't mind letting a seasoned duck hunter join their group i'd like to hear from you. I have 28 fullbody bigfoots a laydown blind to contribute to the spread, as well as being able to call. I also happen to be a woodworker of 10years now and i turn duck and goose calls, i currently only have 4 goose calls available, waiting on wood to dry, then i'll get a few more out. First one is a super curly spalted crotch wood maple call, its loud and a great all around call 150.00, the second call is clear maple finished with linseed oil beeswax, its loud great mature honker sound 100.00, third call is a clear maple call with a higher pitch than the first two, young/lesser sound and with some further tuning im sure you can get a speck sound out of it 100.00, and last is a spalted maple with nice colorations, its loud and i've dubbed it the old hag its sound is old nasty goose, perfect for a group calling situation 100.00 . Im also open to the idea of bribing my way onto a feild with your group, in trade for a call or maybe a discount for the group. Also open to trades of other waterfowling stuff. Even if you arn't interested in a call, if you could use another responsible hunter that can contribute to the group let me know as everyone i know big game hunts and doesn't waterfowl.

001.JPG
001.JPG
Attachments
001.JPG
3am
hunter

Re: new to the forum

Postby ID Quacker » Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:19 pm

:welcome:
speak softly and carry a big stick
ID Quacker
hunter

Postby 3am » Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:23 pm

thanks for the welcome.
3am
hunter

Postby drakz » Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:42 pm

Your a very upfront dude I might say....you originally from idaho? :welcome:
is that my beer?
drakz
hunter

Postby 3am » Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:07 pm

yeah i figure why beat around the bush, i need to get on a field before the season starts or at the very least by thanksgiving. And every farm i've visited game me a quick no, even a get the hell out of here. And i know why, i mean i have grown up here, i've already been told getting permission around the treasure valley is difficult but to boot i also happen to be hispanic, i know a huge shock, but im willing to bet im just as "redneck" or more than the next hunter. Definatly not your typical mexican, but still the sterotype haunts me. So i guess im just seeing if what i bring to the table will pursuade someone in to giving me a chance. I consider myself from idaho as i grew up here. 23 years, im 30 now.
3am
hunter

Postby FlyFishingFreak » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:59 am

Welcome. Sorry to hear that. Wont find that from me.
FlyFishingFreak
hunter

Postby drakz » Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:51 am

I can't get yes's either and I was born and raised and I'm white so being mexican has nothing to do with it bud.. :beer: I've grown kinda tired of going to different doors...you know for a fact that almost every house with a corn field gets a few knocks each year.....its pretty simple...they don't like hunters, or someone already hunts it, or they or their family hunts it......your best bet is to get to know people in the know.....good luck though.....I've had little luck finding private land on my own but I have had some breakthroughs through friends and my work......find different avenues to get on private rather than door to door....
is that my beer?
drakz
hunter

Postby 3am » Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:55 pm

well drakz, i guess you've never been ran off by an old farmer yelling obsenities of the racial kind, its happend more than once to me, but i do get what you mean about the field already being taken or just not allowing hunters, which is usually what the case is, and thats why im here now, trying to meet others with the same common interest as me, and hopfully i can join a group. The way i figure it, i have the gear, ive got the skills, now its just trying to get in on the action of field hunting, but if this year is the same as all the others, i'll just pound it out on public land again, hopfully meet someone along the way. If you hunt around the ada/canyon area chances are we've run into each other, maybe we can combine on a duck spread one of these days, maybe you'll see i could be a good guy to have in the blind, i usually set out around 5doz mostly mallard, some robo ducks, a jerk string if theres no ripples , but you seem to be in the know or at least more than i am.
3am
hunter

Postby drakz » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:08 pm

Nah I'm no better than anyone else....a lot of time I'm grinding on public land as well...I hunt in the caldwell and middleton area, the payette and everywhere all over from time to time.....I would not mind catching up with whoever on here....I usually get a reduction in hours in the winter and can hunt whenever I want so I'm all game.....those farmers are pigs for doing that to you...that's not cool at all...usually when I'm hunting corn its from an invite with an already big group so I know how you feel wanting a corn field to yourself.....its an exciting way to hunt but such a tough thing to get a good field that you can hunt when you want...I'm just saying knowing the right people and asking buddies at work about relatives who might own farms is easier and you have more luck because there's a tie to the owner that you know so and so and there's not a lot of mystery to them as someone just knocking on their door.....its hard for someone to let a stranger on to their property....
is that my beer?
drakz
hunter

Postby 3am » Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:00 pm

Yeah, well i appreciate the kind words of encouragement and i'll keep trying to find a group to hunt with, as for the farmers its not all their fault, chances are they havn't had very good encounters with the hispanics around here, or they are just stuck in a time when racism was the norm, which really wasn't too long ago if you think about it. and like i said im not the average mexican, im usually rolling around in my lifted truck and a camo hat, instead of a lowrider and bandanna. See i stereotype my own as well, cause i havn't had to many good encounters with other hispanics either, so i don't blame the farmers i just wish it was different but i'll just keep keepin on.

As for the calls i've had some intrest but no takers yet, i am flexible on the cash price, shoot me an offer but lets keep it in the relm of reality, i cant give them away.
3am
hunter

Postby twsnow18 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:36 pm

field hunting is such a pain in my opinion. i hardly scout for them anymore. unless it's a field that you can hunt literally whenever you want, it's almost hopeless in my opinion. i won't even hunt a field unless there is birds in it the night before or if it's a loafing field for geese. we've had good luck there. i think that convincing ducks especially, to come in is extremely difficult if they aren't already working that field the few days before. throw in the access problem and timing, and good luck. it could just be me tho, never know. i've got access to a couple wheat, alfalfa and corn fields and only one of them ever produces. plus if it's not crappy weather good luck in a field. last season was extremely mild so that made it even tougher. the alfalfa field usually has geese all over it almost everyday in dec/jan. last season, they didn't frequent the field until 2 weeks after the season. 200 of them. the field was black, boy was i pissed. so now throw in flight path concerns, location, timing, weather, access and good luck... it's not like how everyone thinks it is on tv. those guys like the fowl life crew get a call when there is 200 birds in the field the night before then they come out in the morning and setup. you could kill limits doing that without decoys or a call.

sorry to rant, don't let me discourage you. not saying you can't get lucky and find a nice landowner in a good spot. just work hard, bring your binos, ask for permission in the summer for fields you know hold birds sometime during the season. then during the season, scout for fields holding birds already then knock doors and grind it. you'll find something! but all i'm saying is that of the 100 birds i killed last year, i killed maybe 15 of them, ducks/geese included, on private fields :huh:
How to start an argument online:

1. State an opinion.
2. Then wait.
twsnow18
hunter

Postby rookie20011 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:07 pm

I'm not sure how you are asking for permission but have you tried going on the off season? Spring or first of summer? I have put in hours and hours of labor and still get a no and start to think what a waist but then one day the farmer said you hunt, why not come try and hunt these darn geese? Ill tell you it was the best hunt i have every had! two limits of geese and ducks.... I still have this field and have given Christmas cards and my wife has even cooked up some things for them. I know as a land owner my self i get sick of just seeing "these hunters" a day or two before the season asking to trespass and nvr hear a thanks after. Not saying your one at all but just saying if you get ran off before getting anything out maybe its your approach? I know once we see a vehicle we nvr seen before pull up in my drive way we know right away what they want. Good luck to ya, you sound like a great guy if you was over on the east side id offer you a hunt any day.... sry if this is hard to read its from my phone.
rookie20011
hunter

Postby 3am » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:35 pm

yeah, i've already stopped asking this late in the year, i know better than to ask just before the birding seasons open up. As for going east, i've gone as far as twin in my pursuit of birds, poky isn't too much further.
3am
hunter

Postby rookie20011 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:22 pm

Well in that case.... Hit me up when your thinking you want to come over... Ill be glad to take you out. I have some ppl I hunt with but some like water over fields but either way im sure i have a spot for another hunter.... :beer:
rookie20011
hunter

Postby 3am » Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:36 pm

thanks rookie i'll definatly send you a pm later about a visit.

After some constructive critisism, I've come to the conclusion i need to be more competitive in my pricing, even though these are made one by one and by hand not mass produced out of a mold. No quality issues all the people that have shown interest all didn't like the price, but their opinion of the call and sound was great. So for the curly maple crotch wood call im now asking 100 for it, and for the other three 60 a piece, and shipping is still free.
3am
hunter

Postby 3am » Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:30 pm

I just want to say thank you to Grant out in Bruneau, finally got on fields, The curly maple call is no longer available but i do have two others that are similar grain pattern.
3am
hunter

Return to Idaho Duck Hunting