4 more weeks!!!!!!!!!!!!

A place to share Idaho bird hunting knowledge and discuss Idaho hunting tactics.

Moderators: donell67, casey_714, jjohnson_714

4 more weeks!!!!!!!!!!!!

Postby rookie20011 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:11 am

I dont know about you guys but isnt these last few weeks going by WAY to slowwwwwww????? Ive been passing the time with doves and grouse. Got my lab on her first couple of retrieves (WHAT A RUSH) on grouse. Might say that is the COOLEST thing ever ive seen... Been hunting only 4 yrs now and had my lab for only 10 months and she brought her 5th grouse to hand :thumbsup: Cant wait for ducks and geese.... Good luck yall with this yrs season!!!!!
rookie20011
hunter

Re: 4 more weeks!!!!!!!!!!!!

Postby IdahoSkies » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:50 am

Birds are Here!

I always mark when I start seeing birds landing in the small ponds in town on my way to work. Then I know that the birds from up north are moving in (those ponds are ignored all season long by the locals). Bring 'em on. :welcome:
IdahoSkies
hunter

Postby rookie20011 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:03 pm

:welcome: to all new birds in the area lol!!!!!
rookie20011
hunter

Postby goosepond » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:21 am

The birds you are seeing arent new birds, they are just coming out of molt and starting to fly again. there is a period of time that they wont be moving due to the molt, but, right now they are starting to move again. Over the next couple of weeks they will really start to pick up, but, thats part of the reason most moved the season back a week, so you dont see just brown and end up shooting to many mistakes.

Good luck with the new pup
goosepond
hunter

Postby FlyFishingFreak » Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:22 pm

I feel like Tyron Biggins in camo.
FlyFishingFreak
hunter

Postby drakz » Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:13 pm

I'm stoked!!!! Yeah the birds are bunching up and starting to get into the fall behavior's!!! Most of the drakes as of now are still brown as can be...there's a ditch down the road and there's about 15 birds sitting on it every day and I jump em every now and then and I can get pretty close before they jump like 10 yards and they all looked like hens...this was a few weeks back...

I'm so stoked though I got a hole picked out and the locals are loving it...its never been hunted for ducks ever!!! The only thing is I need rain before the opener or it will dry up too much!!! It will be close....I just need to keep the idiots off the land..its not posted very well and everyone thinks they can go in the property and shoot doves and quail!!!!! I posted the land a few weeks back to keep them idiots off so the ducks don't get disturbed and hopefully more use it....if all goes well with a little rain before the 13th I should smack em!!!! So stoked my son is 5 and the wife is letting me take him!!!! We got a dryfowl 4 in 1 parka headed this way in the mail for the little guy...I'm stoked to show him the sport...I remember how pumped I was when I was his age so I can't wait!!! :beer:
is that my beer?
drakz
hunter

Postby rookie20011 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:29 pm

sweet deal man! I have a girl who turns 5 in Nov and she went last yr when it was warm. She has her own duck calls and lanyard and has one of those primos shake feed calls and LOVES it... She can already make a QUACK and is way excited to call in her 1st duck..... Good luck to ya all this season and remember BE SAFE AND HAVE FUN....
rookie20011
hunter

Postby drakz » Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:36 pm

Right back at ya rookie!!! A shaker is a good idea plus I'm not that great at a feeder call so I should totally get him one so he feels like he is part of the process! Duck depression is about to be cured in a few short weeks!!!!! I already built a blind in the hole now I just hope we get alittle rain!!!!! :yes:
is that my beer?
drakz
hunter

Postby rookie20011 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:10 pm

Oh DUDE! Be the BEST $20 u spend!!!!!! Letting ur kid know they just called in thr first ducks! Nothing better..
rookie20011
hunter

Postby FlyFishingFreak » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:32 am

That sounds awesome. Im taking my cousins out Sunday for the youth hunt. Im giving them each the primos 6in1 call, they can drake call for a little marsh back up. I hope they enjoy it. Good luck with getting the young ones into hunting.
FlyFishingFreak
hunter

Return to Idaho Duck Hunting