Opener at CJ

A place to share Idaho bird hunting knowledge and discuss Idaho hunting tactics.

Moderators: donell67, casey_714, jjohnson_714

Opener at CJ

Postby Duckhunter6989 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:57 am

Hey guys I have hunted at CJ Strike durring the season a few times but not on the opening weekend, my guess is that it is packed with people, is that true? I probably wont be trying it for that reason but I am just curious what people's experiences have been. (I am not trying to internet scout, I wont move in next to anyone if I do hunt that area as a matter of fact if there isnt a spot plenty far away I would rather turn around and go home)
Duckhunter6989
hunter

Re: Opener at CJ

Postby drakz » Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:24 pm

You crack me up bud.....dude I was in your spot back in the day with so many questions...the best advice I can give is try it and see what happens..... :beer:
is that my beer?
drakz
hunter

Postby Duckhunter6989 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:24 pm

That is kinda my thought as well is the best way to learn is try. Thanks Drakz.
Duckhunter6989
hunter

Postby cutm Jack » Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:43 pm

CJ has alot of water. Where are you talking about... Bruneau arm, loveridge bridge or somewhere on the main res?
cutm Jack
hunter

Postby mtbaughs » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:44 pm

Your best bet is getting to the hardest to get to locations early either by boat or by 4X4 but that's true of most any place.
mtbaughs
hunter

Postby Duckhunter6989 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:36 pm

I was talking in general but I guess more specifically loveridge bridge, I haven't had a chance to check out too much more area.
Duckhunter6989
hunter

Postby cutm Jack » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:33 pm

If you launch from the first boat launch go left about half a mile and you'll see a nice big shallow cove, pretty sure you could get some ducks if you set up in there. Definately need a boat though no way your walking in to hunt anywhere near loveridge. Are you from Mt Home?
cutm Jack
hunter

Postby Duckhunter6989 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:45 pm

I appreciate the advise cutm but I wasn't asking for an exact spot. Hopefully not everyone is going to your spot now.
Duckhunter6989
hunter

Postby cutm Jack » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:45 am

I'm not worried about it, I don't really like hunting down there especially on the weekends and that spot isn't a big secret. Good luck opening day.
cutm Jack
hunter

Postby side-slippin » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:54 am

oh my God, you just posted my favorite secert spot on an open forum...
"Augustus...
...by-god Woodrow, it's been quite a party ain't it.
...yes sir."
side-slippin
hunter

Postby waveslider » Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:24 pm

side-slippin wrote:oh my God, you just posted my favorite secert spot on an open forum...

Bummer. You need better secret spots btw. :yes:
Internet Scouting Pro Staff
waveslider
hunter

Postby holtz » Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:55 am

i live in mtn. home and hunted true blood at the beginning and then hunted off of love ridge bridge the rest of the year in that little cove to the east and a little further up river, it was good and i really enjoyed it, didn't really see alot of hunters though and the weather was way too good.
holtz
Newb

Postby MHIdahoHunter » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:25 pm

Hi Gang! My name is Larry and I have lived in Mountain Home for many years. Long ago I got lots of ducks & geese in South Dakota and later got some near here. In recent years, we mainly focused on elk & deer hunting with just a little bird hunting. My hunting partners aren't interested in hunting waterfowl or other birds-- so I'm looking for some new duck & goose hunting and upland game partners.

I'm fairly well equipped for duck & goose hunting with waders, calls, decoys, etc. -- but access points have changed & I'm a bit out of touch on productive spots. I've got a 2 year old yellow lab who has great instincts and loves to retrieve duck dummies but is not yet tested on live retrieves, or in a duck blind, or a boat. I have a 17' tracker deep V hull with a 90 h.p. Evinrude -- but I'm hesitant to try it for duck hunting by myself. It might be a bit tricky getting in & out of it or using in really shallow water.

Please contact me so we can discuss joint hunting ventures and/or some tips & contacts. I'm also interested in hunting pheasants, quail, chukars, huns, etc. I have a pretty flexible schedule and am often available during the week or on weekends.

I would also appreciate some pointers on retriever training and brushing up on my calling skills. I'm considered to be a good partner -- sharing costs, considerate of others, a disciplined shooter, and I DO NOT know it all!

You can reach me at C/P: (208) 869-4512, H/P: (208) 587-9887, or e-mail: bearpaw1951@gmail.com

Happy hunting! Larry
MHIdahoHunter
hunter

Postby TROB » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:27 pm

Your best bet is Strike. lots of area to hunt and tons of birds. go check it out and put in your time.

:welcome:

Last edited by TROB on Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Idaho...
TROB
hunter

Postby MHIdahoHunter » Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:19 pm

Thanks TROB!

I guess I'm mainly looking for someone to hunt with and help fine tune my duck & goose hunting skills.

A gazillion years ago when access was different, we used to go way back in the canals at Jack's Creek and sneak up on ducks & geese; float the Bruneau River in a tiny Jon Boat for ducks & geese; jump shoot ducks on the Bruneau Duck Ponds when they still had water; bust ducks in the flooded trees down past Simplot; and sometimes we had access to some field hunting for ducks & geese.

Last year I walked in to the river near the duck ponds but the fog was so thick I couldn't see to shoot. Last week, we took our lab in to the public access area behind Bruneau and walked all the way to the river but didn't see a bird. I've been out and done some legwork several times for upland game -- but so far the birds I've found have been where I couldn't shoot them or flushed far ahead of us.

I see lots of elk, antelope, & deer near town on a regular basis so I'm not a total novice -- but lately I seem to be bird challenged. I found lots of Huns & pheasants lately, but they are off limits.

I enjoy the hunt whether I shoot anything or not -- but I would really like to find some quality hunting for my yellow lab!
MHIdahoHunter
hunter

Return to Idaho Duck Hunting