Suggestions for good full body goose decoy bag

A place to share Idaho bird hunting knowledge and discuss Idaho hunting tactics.

Moderators: donell67, jjohnson_714, casey_714

Suggestions for good full body goose decoy bag

Postby waveslider » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:50 am

I was wondering if anyone has a suggestion for keeping oversize full body goose decoys in a bag. With bases attached.

I'm a duck hunter (not a goose hunter) and I have exactly 8 big gnarly goose decoys that I use for field hunting ducks. They are nice, GHG flocked head lookers and full size Bigfoot feeders.

I tried the Rig-em-Right decoy bag that claims you can use for these types of decoys. Let's just say I didn't find it to work any better than a bunch of black trash bags. They are getting returned.

So I'm wondering if anyone has solved the problem of transporting these things. Or do I just throw them in the back o f the truck like I"ve been doing and break off the heads of the Avery ones (don't get me started on Avery stuff right now...)

Thoughts?
Internet Scouting Pro Staff
waveslider
hunter

Re: Suggestions for good full body goose decoy bag

Postby CutEm214 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:58 am

If you feel like spending a little extra cash, the Dakota bags are meant to be used with the bases attached.
CutEm214
hunter

Postby waveslider » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:29 am

I'm not familiar with the size of the Dakota decoys. Are they as big as the Bigfoot and GHG FUll body goose decoys? If so, that might work.
waveslider
hunter

Postby CutEm214 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:44 am

waveslider wrote:I'm not familiar with the size of the Dakota decoys. Are they as big as the Bigfoot and GHG FUll body goose decoys? If so, that might work.

Should be as big or bigger. Just make sure you are getting the bags for the big geese and not the lessers.
CutEm214
hunter

Postby waveslider » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:00 am

Right, I saw that they have both sizes. Thanks for the tip. I'm definately going to try it. Its a complete PITA to carry these things around, even as few of them as I have for a big duck spread. If they don't work, I will take them back cuz they are spendy.

While on the topic, I'm assuming you use them in your duck spread also? If so, how do you typically deploy them? Last year I kind of sprinkled them around inside the duck spread and while I can't say that it was ineffective, I may try something a little different this year and just bunch them up in a group behind us or something.

What's your take on it?
waveslider
hunter

Postby FlyFishingFreak » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:26 am

Ive always kept them close but separate. Geese hang with geese. ducks with ducks. but they will be an arm of my "U" or "J" so still a part of my spread. thats how i dun it.
FlyFishingFreak
hunter

Postby rookie20011 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:43 am

family groups this time of yr works for me. A long "J" shape. I will sprinkle ducks through out the geese...
rookie20011
hunter

Postby waveslider » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:01 am

Cut em,

the Dakota bags worked great. They fit full size bigfoot and Avery lookers and feeders. Now if I can just figure out how to permanently attached the Avery goose decoy heads. What a POS.
waveslider
hunter

Postby CutEm214 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:12 pm

waveslider wrote:Cut em,

the Dakota bags worked great. They fit full size bigfoot and Avery lookers and feeders. Now if I can just figure out how to permanently attached the Avery goose decoy heads. What a POS.

:thumbsup: Good to know it worked out for you. Sorry to hear about the Avery's... For future reference, I would stick to those Bigfoots and maybe cast an eye toward the Dakota's if you're looking for some variety in your spread. Avery seems to be a consistent source of disappointment these days...
CutEm214
hunter

Postby waveslider » Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:49 pm

Yeah, I don't think I will ever buy another piece of avery gear again. Man, its just junk and I can't take it anymore. Overpriced junk.

I think I'm going to to use some construction glue on the heads and hopefully it will work.

I'm done with goose decoys. I'm not a goose hunter, I just want enough to liven up my field duck spread and I now have that.

Stoked for the season, high moisture corn is getting cut right now...
waveslider
hunter

Postby FlyFishingFreak » Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:55 pm

I cant wait for the season to start. Just talking about spreads gets me all giddy, and in fields, "oh da babay!"
FlyFishingFreak
hunter

Return to Idaho Duck Hunting