New to northern Idaho and don't want to miss out

A place to share Idaho bird hunting knowledge and discuss Idaho hunting tactics.

Moderators: donell67, jjohnson_714, casey_714

New to northern Idaho and don't want to miss out

Postby fordmanalan » Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:17 pm

Hey Guys I just moved up here to CDA from Oregon and lost my short drive to my hunting buddies and property to hunt on. I got here a few months ago and still have yet to meet anybody that know where I should try hunting this year.

I am willing to do any kind of hunting for Ducks (boat, waders, fields) and would especially do some field hunting for geese.

I don't necessarily need somebody to hold my hand. I am experienced hunter and just need help with a direction or place to start seeing some bid movement.

Thanks a bunch hope everybody has a great season
fordmanalan
Newb

Re: New to northern Idaho and don't want to miss out

Postby Kelpy » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:17 pm

There is plenty of waterfowling to be had but you didn't exactly move to a premier destination.

East of Plummer. . . that will get you started.

Have fun, lots of places to be explored. I find there the be a significant amount of pressure in this ares for the waterfowl population. There is not a lot of habitat around. Large reservoirs don't provide much in the way of duck food. I live down in Moscow and for the amount of wheat grown here there really isn't any geese to speak of that use it. They lack a roosting area around these parts. Up where your at they have roosting areas but lack the agriculture.

There are opportunites and hotspots. I get several good shoots every year, timing is a big factor. The first few weeks of the season is wood ducks, and resident mallards. Then the migrants move through and then its pretty much iced up and over.

I have been here for 2 seasons and this will be my 3rd. I have only learned a fraction of what I wish that I knew. Good luck, have fun and most of all I have found the birds that are here to be really dumb and decoyable. They have their days but for the most part are good volunteers :yes:

Later, Kelpy
Kelpy
hunter

Re: New to northern Idaho and don't want to miss out

Postby HaydenHunter » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:21 pm

Go to the Fish and Game office on Kathleen Avenue and you should be able to find someone to point you in some directions to hunt. There are plenty in North Idaho. Have a great season!
HaydenHunter
hunter

Return to Idaho Duck Hunting