Hagerman

A place to share Idaho bird hunting knowledge and discuss Idaho hunting tactics.

Moderators: donell67, jjohnson_714, casey_714

Hagerman

Postby Cafowler » Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:07 pm

Hey guys. A buddy of mine and I got invited to hunt one day at a club in hagerman... So we decided to bring our boat and stay for the rest of the week and hunt the river.... And info on the depth and current you guys have would help a couple of new comers out a bunch:-) we will be around the the 28th of nov through around the 5th some time....
Somewhere a small town has awoken, only to find the village idiot has left and taken his shotgun....
Cafowler
hunter

Re: Hagerman

Postby broncodan » Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:52 pm

i would use the USGS water current conditions. http://waterdata.usgs.gov/id/nwis/rt this should be for all of idaho so take look, should have historical data as well for the rivers.
should be a fun time
broncodan
hunter

Postby 28duckman » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:14 pm

Well you are picking a good time to come. The hunt club will be killer.....which one???? The river is extremly low right now and will be for the rest of the season. That area is going to have the canal's full of water until december for aquifer filling. The resevoirs are low and it was a super hot summer so that means low river and that is good. Just watch out for all of the rocks. Metal boat i hope! Good luck and try to keep ya posted on the levels.
28duckman
hunter

Postby TROB » Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:52 pm

The river at Hagerman would be a good place to go after you hit the club. Its easy to navigate, and there's a ton of ducks, so not being familiar with the river shouldn't be a problem.

You're lucky to get an invite to one of those clubs.
Idaho...
TROB
hunter

Postby Cafowler » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:42 pm

Thank you guys:-) If any of you are intrested in hunting the river with us we'd be more than happy to accommodate...
Somewhere a small town has awoken, only to find the village idiot has left and taken his shotgun....
Cafowler
hunter

Postby jaemersonke » Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:45 pm

I too am interested in what club you got invited to. I know one of them hasn't even started hunting yet but should be starting around the middle of the week. The river should be low and easy to navigate.
jaemersonke
hunter

Postby Cafowler » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:38 pm

Neither of us knows the name of this place:-( and it looks like only my friend got invited:-/ so ill be on the river by myself for a couple of days:-) lol.... Good thing I'm always up for an adventure:-)
Cafowler
hunter

Postby TROB » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:55 pm

Cafowler wrote:Neither of us knows the name of this place:-( and it looks like only my friend got invited:-/ so ill be on the river by myself for a couple of days:-) lol.... Good thing I'm always up for an adventure:-)

There's a nice launch right there in hagerman. I would just put in there and check it out the day before.

Bummer about the "un-vite" :lol3:
Idaho...
TROB
hunter

Postby Cafowler » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:01 pm

Lol... It's not a real big deal.... I actually enjoy finding ducks on public land:-) its an obsession of mine..... However I've seen some footage of those clubs around there and it looks pretty lights out:-) and suggestions on being out first thing in the morning or is the river late morning afternoon thing??? Either way I'm already pumped about going....
Cafowler
hunter

Postby TROB » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:35 pm

Cafowler wrote:Lol... It's not a real big deal.... I actually enjoy finding ducks on public land:-) its an obsession of mine..... However I've seen some footage of those clubs around there and it looks pretty lights out:-) and suggestions on being out first thing in the morning or is the river late morning afternoon thing??? Either way I'm already pumped about going....

im sure the guys at hagerman would love for you to haul ass up and down the river at 9am getting the birds to fly.
Idaho...
TROB
hunter

Postby Cafowler » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:46 pm

I always love when I'm set up early if some guy in a pumped up surface drive or even better an airboat come through my spread once of twelve time:-) lol
Cafowler
hunter

Postby waveslider » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:50 am

I hunt a different area but based on friends and other information the afternoon and evening hunts are pretty slow right now. In fact, with the exception of truly cold days when the birds are feeding twice a day, the evening hunts are pretty slow. You can have that miracle last 30 minutes but is rare on the river in my observation.

You will find its not too different to your experience in CA. Teal, Widgeon and the occasional Sprig after shooting light. "Mallard Time" starts around 9:30 (which is diff from Missouri) and lasts about an hour.

Low moisture corn will start getting cut after beets are done. High moisture was cut weeks ago.

The shorelines still have a LOT of leaves on the trees so hiding should not be hard (but important). I bring my handheld pruning shears that I use turkey hunting.
Internet Scouting Pro Staff
waveslider
hunter

Return to Idaho Duck Hunting